1994 was 30 years ago

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The year I saw "The Lion King" at the cinema, I was 9 years old, what a time to be alive, a year i remember (rose tintedly) as sunny

I think this was probably when I was really 'getting into' music, in the sense of buying cassettes and making my first tentative moves towards discovering a taste outside of the top 40—but it was still mostly the top 40, of course. No internet back then you whippersnappers and no money as a nine year old.

I think I had 'Smash Hits 94' on tape and through that discovered the Prodigy ('No Good'). I remember my cousin being into Green Day's 'Dookie' and also having the poster for 'Definitely Maybe' up in her room.

Someone made a playlist of Smash Hits 94, this seems familiar — and i probably first heard Oasis on this too, 'Cigarettes and Alcohol'

In retrospect (Cos i wasn't aware at the time) it was a golden year for hip-hop, of course — and although I was aware of 'incredible' and 'let me be your fantasy' and 'original nuttah', for example, I wasn't aware it was a great year for jungle, too.

A huge year for eurodance singles, it seems. And RNB was in a good state. Britpop's coming out party, what with 'Definitely Maybe' and 'Parklife'.

What else?

Here's my playlist I was throwing together yesterday, from the sublime to the ridiculous

luka

does this mean you turned 40 in febuary? or is it next year? youre really old now.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
30 years before 1994 was 1964, it’d be like discussing the Beatles hitting the US while the last doves ever were dropped

i see it as a transitionary year for certain compounds which put many into early retirement, “snowballs don’t fuck around”

a lot of energy draining, the Tories were still fucking everything up so 94-96 are like a micro-blues period, before the nation fell for Blair et al but the flow of timeless music was still unchecked