When Do We Stop Finding New Music?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away

(y)

Although...

Perhaps I should forsake sonic exploration and exploit my love of "American Idiot," 2010s indie rock, 2000s pop, Bo Burnham, Blink-182, and Bruce Springsteen

...looking at that list, I'm not sure there was much sonic exploration to begin with 😘

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I definitely feel like my tastes have "calcified" in my 30s, although I am constantly discovering new stuff via Spotify and radio. I am massively disconnected from whatevers going on as far as young ppl are concerned.

However, I don't think I listen to the same music I did when I was 16 that much, not even the classic hip hop that I used to listen to a lot. And I don't think music was best when I was a teenager, it was probably best in 1994 as we've proven.

When me and my mates party we do tend to listen to a lot of the music that was around when I was a teenager even if I wasn't listening as much to it - garage, rnb and rap from around the early 00s. So that's definitely a nostalgia hotspot.

A lot of ppl on here are too old to be interested in new stuff I think, and I sympathise with and often belong to that group. But I love discovering something new (or at least new to me) that excites me, and I think ppl on this forum are probably outside of the norm in being so dedicated to finding new music (as in that they've not heard before).

rubberdingyrapids

i still love finding new music i like, mostly through reviews though now, i dont have time to listen to radio or podcasts or online radio or whatever that much. i feel like im forever out the loop though. nowhere near as on it as i was when younger, which i miss in some ways, but paying attention to music like that is not sustainable unless youre working in the industry i think. and im not. weirdly i like listening to basic current pop music more than i ever did.

i could listen to old stuff only forever, but id feel like im stagnating, even if i wouldnt really listen only to old stuff im familiar with, its more stuff i missed, or never investigated properly. i do like challenging myself, but sometimes wonder what the point is really. i could make do with all the stuff i have already and havent properly listened to. but ive still got this weird need to keep up, or know whats big, or interesting, etc.

i do find now though that where before i hated basking in old faves, now i am quite ok with that, though i def dont think my teenage faves are the best, or anything like that. its more the old classics i discovered at that age rather than stuff that came out in my teens (on the whole).

dilbert1

I recently tried Spotify's new DJ feature in which an AI bot curates personalized listening sessions, introducing songs while explaining the intention behind its selections (much like a real-life disc jockey).

So, problem identified in the first sentence of the article

It's strange how much your 13-year-old self defines your lifelong artistic tastes.
I used to spend hours researching artists, scrutinizing my CD purchases, and, later, my iTunes selections. Musical exploration was an activity in and of itself; songs were more than background noise. Now, I'm stuck listening to James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" for the 1,000th time. What happened to me?

You made yourself helpless and stupid. And its almost as if this regression becomes institutionalized through the ubiquity of an incredibly infantilizing listening service model that everyone’s wholesale capitulated to.

I can’t stress how much devolution in basic cultural acumen re: music taste and history I’ve witnessed amongst similarly aged peers. Ten plus years ago I felt we were all a lot less lazy and a lot more competitive at finding (to our generation) obscure stuff, patiently mapping scenes and comparing their surviving participant’s narratives, piecing together contemporaneous influences, rifling thru label discographies or some older head’s record collection they put up on youtube or mediafire (and with no guarantees of quality and so to often no avail other than character building), priding ourselves on these autodidactic journeys, like having discovered something long before your time and years before it was re-issued was a sign you were on a fruitful path, organizing it all historically, by quality, cultivating different registers of appreciation, and you could do this all over again once you put it all together in one place and figured out when things ossified and vital energies cropped up elsewhere. And maybe this is at a dead-end and there’s a finiteness to these practices as the internet ages… maybe… but jesus christ, the incredulity, the almost intimidated responses I’m met with when I tell these same people now I still ***actually download*** music. What gratuitous effort, what an uphill climb to not have the algorithm, the ‘recommended’ and the robot playlist do all your discovery and curation for you, you must be some kind of pretentious try-hard! So having “everything at your fingertips,” I don’t know if that necessarily destroys a relationship to music… not even using your fucking fingertips anymore, that certainly does.

Zero sympathy!

dilbert1

But I love discovering something new (or at least new to me) that excites me, and I think ppl on this forum are probably outside of the norm in being so dedicated to finding new music (as in that they've not heard before).
i could make do with all the stuff i have already and havent properly listened to. but ive still got this weird need to keep up, or know whats big, or interesting, etc.

Bravo dissensus don’t fight the feeling!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Music is kind of like a drug for me, and discovering a new song or sound is like finding a new vein to inject into

Problem is (this metaphor is going out the window) that a lot of new stuff you hear as you get older and you've heard more of everything sounds like something else you've heard before and immediately fails the WTF test

And you ofc get the feeling that the new thing that sounds like the old thing that you were going to clubs and parties in your 20s and getting battered to isn't anywhere near as exciting cos you never hear it in a club and even if you did you'd probably be internally comparing it to the other thing and your knees hurt anyway and wouldn't it be nice to be in bed at home listening to Stephen Fry reading the complete works of Arthur Conan Wodehouse?

dilbert1

dissensus isnt really much use for finding new music anymore though. most threads seem to be about old music.

Well theres the music from the last 72 hours thread. But anyways, per the article’s conflation I refuse to believe that one’s taste deviating from the mainstream, or even contemporary, strictly speaking, equates to a “calcification” of taste. The state of contemporary music itself can easily reflect a level of regression and calcification that the individual listener may overcome through their discerning recourse to the recent or even distant past. That’s what this article’s about, broadening your horizons, not forcing yourself to like the latest release.

dilbert1

@Corpsey Yeah its not an endless buffet. Someone experiencing their taste has calcified doesn’t just have to do with failing to constantly encounter alien flavors. There might have been some old flavors your younger palate dismissed that it might someday become the right time to revisit, reconsider. I hope as I get older things which I heard but didn’t register become new objects of appreciation. We can’t point the finger, this is about our taste and its cultuvation. Its an active self-directed project it takes discipline it is the result of effort and learning and changing, to attain a difficult pleasure

rubberdingyrapids

idk if its progress that where 20 years ago, i would not have been into dua lipa and sabrina carpenter but now i love their recent singles. dont tell me houdini, training seasno and espresso arent bangers.

dilbert1

idk if its progress that where 20 years ago, i would not have been into dua lipa and sabrina carpenter but now i love their recent singles. dont tell me houdini, training seasno and espresso arent bangers.

So then your taste is open, you’ve cultivated new desires and delights previously closed to you, the needle has moved, you’re a new person. Keep it moving!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
noone treats literature in this way, and that's a good thing. yet we expect all music to serve as a tawdry backdrop to shagging your mate from high
school's ex.

Art isn't science or politics strictly speaking, but it's not divorced from either. It's productiveand *the content* of communication. It can't be a master discourse either because the notion of master discourse is absurd as it prioritises the ego over the impersonal.

dilbert1

noone treats literature in this way, and that's a good thing.
Yeah ive always assumed you read better more interesting books as you get older, there’s so much out there, so much that what you already know leads to. Growing up has been in large part becoming violently disabused of my adolescent conceptions about adulthood and maturity, that everyone past a certain age upheld certain self-civilizing responsibilities and standards. My parents can’t even watch a movie without checking their phones every 15 minutes. Boohoo…

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You made yourself helpless and stupid. And its almost as if this regression becomes institutionalized through the ubiquity of an incredibly infantilizing listening service model that everyone’s wholesale capitulated to.

Zero sympathy!

I mean they forgot to put their spotify on a private session. idiot!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
When I heard it, it was literally a fake young black guy reassuring you that you aren’t a boring piece of shit

yep sounds like what a hothoused californian person would have thought a black guy sounded like in the '60s.

also it puts chill beats next to turkish folk music for me, which I think is like some kind of cultural rape.

rubberdingyrapids

tbh im not trying to act as though liking modern pop is particularly interesting. im just going for the easy option. pop aside, and in terms of music i feel less self conscious about liking as a middle aged person, i like a lot more calmer music, a lot more music that isnt song-based, and also often just hate music and dont want to listen to anything at all.

theres prob something 'honest' though, about the person whose tastes dont change, who goes to the same artists or genres/songs/albums and nothing else, or things that remind them of those things. they dont care about what anyone thinks of their tastes. theyre the 'i like what i like' people.