The 21st Century Film

craner

Beast of Burden
Some days @Corpsey thinks Gone Girl is the best movie of the 21st Century and on other days he thinks Interstellar is, but then we have to remember that he is also famous for coining the catchphrase, “On the other hand…”

@sus thinks that the best film of the 21st Century is Attack of the Clones, but then he is also a lunatic. (And we love him for it.)

100 years ago (i.e. in 1924) Douglas Fairbanks made The Thief of Baghdad, W.G. Griffiths made America, Henry Otto did Dante’s Inferno, Erich von Stroheim made Greed, Robert Wiene made the brilliant Hands of Orlac, Buster Keaton made The Navigator, Fritz Lang made Die Nibelungen, Lev Kuleshov made The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks and D’Annunzio made Quo Vadis.

Michael Powell and Jean Baudrillard both thought that the Silent Era was responsible for the best films of all and that movies lost a certain mystery, magic and freedom with the arrival of sound.

Personally, I think the best era was the 60s and 70s, particularly in Italy, America, Japan and Hong Kong, the places where most of my favorite films come from.

The 80s kept itself going well enough with the Italian video nasties, the last great Shaw Brothers movies and the Hollywood Action-Comedy-Sci-fi-Horror Industrial Complex.

In retrospect, although it didn’t necessarily feel like it at the time, the 90s was abysmal. Most of the best stuff was released in 1990-92 and was effectively leftovers/hangovers from the most fertile bits of the 80s or one-off aberrations (Groundhog Day, The War Room, The Last Seduction, Forrest Gump, Showgirls, Heat). It was more like a laboratory for the films that would come in the 21st Century with a lot of the work being done by ILM and Miramax.

It’s 2024, over 100 years into movies and what do we have?

What are the best films of the 21st Century so far? What stands out? What are the themes, trends, cycles?

Some initial thoughts on a taxonomy of the 21st Century Film. Not definitive in any way and some important films didn’t fit into my schema at all (e.g. Inception, Bridesmaids, Son of Saul)

China Rising

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Hero
The House of the Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Panda
Wolf Warrior 2
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Seven Rings
Crazy Rich Asians

The neo-wuxia epics that stormed the Western multiplexes in the early noughties were misleading in their brief tenure, more complex politically, but did point towards a future of Chinese soft power in Hollywood and the rest of the world. See Erich Schwartzel's Red Carpet.

Business-Finance-Corporate Sagas

Margin Call
The Social Network
The Devil Wears Prada
The September Issue
Michael Clayton
Moneyball
The Big Short
The Wolf of Wall Street
Miss Sloane
Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps
Hustlers
BlackBerry
Pain Hustlers

Probably one of the most successful of the 21st C filones. Filling a wide open gap that had only previously been occupied by Wall Street, Glengarry Glen Ross and Boiler Room, these films were given a boost by the 2008 Crash and the second wave of Non-Fiction Business classics led by Michael Lewis (well represented by The Big Short and Moneyball) but also fanned out, thematically and stylistically, into law, politics, fashion and medicine.

Neoconservative Movies

The Lives of Others
Zero Dark Thirty
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
The Incredibles

An idea inspired by a Commentary podcast discussion on “the most neoconservative movies ever made”.

Meta-History Epics

Alexander
Troy
Attack of the Clones
Syriana
Apocalypto
Kingdom of Heaven
Gomorrah
The Last Samurai
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Dunkirk
The Hurt Locker

The sons and daughters of Gladiator: basically, big producers/studios working through the conceptual possibilities of CGI but with some other outliers on the same sort of theme/territory.

Biopics

Lincoln
The Wolf of Wall Street
I, Tonya
Milk
Elvis
Blonde
Oppenheimer
Ferrari

These overlap with Business and Metahistory films but have gone into overdrive in the last few years, being capped by Oppenheimer. It is its own category. Part of our obsession with the past as much as anything else. Talking of which…

The Time-Memory-Nostalgia Seam

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Rogue One
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Blade Runner 2049
Captain America: The First Avenger
Doctor Strange
Interstellar
Wonder Woman
WW84
They Shall Not Grow Old
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Top Gun: Maverick

One of the most powerful thematic continuums of the 21st Century that is also responsible for some of its most affecting films. A very rich seam that wraps up other key concerns (identity, family, etc.) and poses insoluble questions about filmmaking ethics in the era of CGI and (soon) AI. The superhero cycles are saturated with these ideas and obsessions

Apocalypse/Rapture Films

The Day After Tomorrow
28 Days Later
War of the Worlds
Revenge of the Sith
The Passion of the Christ
World War Z
San Andreas
Cloverfield
Pacific Rim
Children of Men
Battlefield Los Angeles
The Road
Arrival
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame

This one overlaps with Meta-History and the CGI disaster movies of the 90s. An important trend that reflects the fear and paranoia and despair at the heart of our societies since the end of the last millennium.

Neo-Neo-Noir

Mulholland Drive
In the Cut
Collateral
The Black Dahlia
Drive
Sin City
Oldboy
No Country For Old Men
Gone Girl

I just put this in for @version and @Corpsey but it is definitely a thing, even if that thing is largely stylistic. A Golden Age for the Film Bro canon.

The Hallmark Empire

I can’t pick any films from this because none of them stand out but it is nevertheless an important and unavoidable part of the 21st C film industry and the most effective exponent of American soft power after Disney and Marvel.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Love this.

Not sure if it's a genre or a subset of 'neo noir' but there's definitely a trend in films and TV of 'eat the rich'/'eat the poor' — Parasite, Squid Game, Saltburn, The Dark Knight Rises etc.

Gone Girl addresses certain questions (and more than addressing them, for me somehow simulates them in its uncanniness re: the unreal nature of identity in the age of the internet, social media, surveillance etc. I guess that's all apiece with its neo-noirish nature, but I feel like that's definitely going to be a theme that pops up in a lot of films being made these days.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Would 'Master and Commander' and 'Gladiator' fall under 'meta historical epics'? All I know is they deserve to be in there.

Then you've got 'Lord of the Rings', 'Harry Potter', 'Dune' — dark fantasy ('Game of Thrones', too, ofc).

craner

Beast of Burden
Boutique Cinema

Kill Bill
Cabin Fever
Death Proof/Planet Terror
Berberian Sound Studio
The Duke of Burgundy
Inglourious Basterds
Hostel
Neon Demon
Machete
Last Night in Soho
Suspiria
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
In Fabric
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Love Witch
Red Nights
The Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears
Amer
Knife + Heart

An offshoot/extension of the video shop nerd and postmodern auteur film of the 90s (Tarantino, Rodriguez) as well as a product of the DVD/bluray resurrection of hundreds of genre and exploitation films from the 60s/70s filtering into a wider cultural consciousness. Overlaps with the neo-neonoirs and the Time-Memory-Nostalgia seam, but is also its own thing.

The Hallmark Empire

I can’t pick any films from this because none of them stand out but it is nevertheless an important and unavoidable part of the 21st C film industry and the most effective exponent of American soft power after Disney and Marvel.

I've seen a couple of these. Love Alaska (2019) is a classic example. My mum watches stacks of them now she's living alone.

Formula: Slightly ditzy and attractively homely 30-something woman moves across the country to start again as a girl boss. Meets Mr Right, but Mr Wrong woos her before proving himself unsuitable. Mr Right is a little broken but is on hand to provide support. They soon get together and she can have it all — new start, new man, new career, fin.

linebaugh

Ladybird should be mentioned aswell. It’s yet to be realized fully but I think it eventually will be seen as the first young girl equivalent of a film bro movie. The same way fight club and pulp fiction and Scorsese movies got a million young boys into Cinema, ladybird and Greta gerwig generally and whatever follows will do the same for girls. You can already feel it happening a bit already

linebaugh

Whiplash also seems like a big omission. Maybe not so huge because it didn’t really seem to have much effect on filmmaking after it but I remember it being universally loved with a fervor very rarely seen and I still see it talked about/meme’d online all the time still ten years later.

craner

Beast of Burden
Whiplash also seems like a big omission. Maybe not so huge because it didn’t really seem to have much effect on filmmaking after it but I remember it being universally loved with a fervor very rarely seen and I still see it talked about/meme’d online all the time still ten years later.

Like I said, it's not definitive and this is a thread for more definitions/elaborations/explorations of the 21st C cinematic universe.

linebaugh

Whiplash seems like a missed exit for 21st century films. Non franchised story that still ticks the millennial relatability/identity/personal narrative box that maybe wasn’t the dominant trend in film but seems to be in TV and books so far. Made over ten times its budget but then just nothing after

craner

Beast of Burden
How to approach the cult of Vince Vaughan? Or the Paul Rudd Reich?

The Man Child Comedies

Knocked Up
Wedding Crashers
Old School
You, Me and Dupree
Dirty Grandpa
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Hangover 1-3
Bad Neighbours
Borat
Zoolander
Dodge Ball
Bridesmaids
The Heat
Ghostbusters

The spawn of the 90s Gross Out Comedies and Swingers. Films that deal with the crisis of masculinity and the troubled/troubling concept of "adulthood" in an infantilised culture. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy pioneered the female equivalent.

linebaugh

The Man Child Comedies

Knocked Up
Wedding Crashers
Old School
You, Me and Dupree
Dirty Grandpa
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Hangover 1-3
Bad Neighbours
Zoolander
Dodge Ball
Bridesmaids
The Heat
Ghostbusters

The spawn of the 90s Gross Out Comedies and Swingers. Films that deal with the crisis of masculinity and the troubled/troubling concept of "adulthood" in an infantilised culture. Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy pioneered the female equivalent.
Not exactly related but mean girls has to be mentioned for comedy

craner

Beast of Burden
I've seen a couple of these. Love Alaska (2019) is a classic example. My mum watches stacks of them now she's living alone.

Formula: Slightly ditzy and attractively homely 30-something woman moves across the country to start again as a girl boss. Meets Mr Right, but Mr Wrong woos her before proving himself unsuitable. Mr Right is a little broken but is on hand to provide support. They soon get together and she can have it all — new start, new man, new career, fin.

Christmas subgenre:

A lot of these 70s/80s Christmas songs still survive as strong as ever, but, if you notice, only the ones that can be treated ironically or cherished for their absurd goofiness or secular whimsy. Anything too sentimental or in any way Christian has been silently purged from the playlists. So Mariah Carey and Chris Rea have risen to the top of the pile over the years, while 'Pipes of Peace' and 'Mistletoe and Wine' are nowhere to be heard.

There is a kind of parallel with Hallmark Christmas movies, not in the irony, but in the de-Christianisation of Christmas. I've been conducting a taxonomy of these films this year and one of the things that I've noticed is that even though they idealise Christmas they also completely remove religion from it. In fact, Christianity is replaced by Christmas. Christmas stands for all the true and good values and the worst thing you can do in these films is violate the laws of Christmas. Christmas is God.

linebaugh

Wil Ferrell movies also maybe not as representative of the culture but it seems he’s the most fondly remembered from that era of comedy for people my age (29)

other_life

bioconfused
ctrl+f 'inland empire' 0 results. ctrl+f 'a serious man' 0 results. ctrl+f 'the man who wasn't there' 0 results. SHAMEFUL

craner

Beast of Burden

The Man Child Comedies

Knocked Up
Wedding Crashers
Old School
You, Me and Dupree
Dirty Grandpa
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Hangover 1-3
Bad Neighbours
Zoolander
Dodge Ball
Bridesmaids
The Heat
Ghostbusters

Crossover here with the Business Movies, particularly Wolf of Wall Street and The Big Short which are like The Hangover and Wedding Crashers but with billionaires and complex financial instruments.

Reactions: sus

craner

Beast of Burden
Wil Ferrell movies also maybe not as representative of the culture but it seems he’s the most fondly remembered from that era of comedy for people my age (29)

Man Child Comedy icon? His role in Wedding Crashers maybe reflects his own status in the genre?