London's Idiot Cyclists

ambrose

yeah i love dutch bikes! i cant understand why we have a monopoly of mountain bike stuyles, with the straight handle bars. riding a dutch bike is so comfortable! i hired a birght orange one in utrecht, and it was too cool for school. cycling with a straight back is bliss.

cyclists in this country are just left to sit in traffic with tvery little provision of their own, and what little does exist tends to be a spinoff of other traffic management techniques eg: turning a street one way, means you can put a cycle lane going the other way down it, or putting cycle lanes is probably an offshoot of trying to narrow the road space to decrease overall speeds. theres little coherent cycle planning, although again, most of what exists is in london. we are just not a cycling culture, and im not sure to what extent that blaming hills and rain is really on the money. i think its attitudes of all concerned that could change thigns - committment from Local authorities to cycle planning and mature attitudes from cyclists and motorists.

but in london, well even the pedestrians use roads appallingly! wandering into the road without looking at anything, and i am NOT talking about tourists, who londoners blame for all ills of this kind. you can coming down a cycle lane and see a pedestrian about to step off the pavement into your path, actualyl staring right at you, but they just arent taking in the fact that you are a vehicle on the road.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Good to see we have a "subject expert" here -- big up Ambrose.

When I lived in Stoke Newington I used to ride down to Old Street and it was fantastic. I've never felt so healthy. I'm thinking of getting a hybrid road/off road bike for casual riding round Sheffield with the kids. (I have my heart set on a mid grey ridgeback, lovely but 300 quid...)

Thing with helmets is... why do they have to look so awful? Anyone have any links to good looking cycle helmets?

London cyclists might want to get hold of the London Cycling Campaign map, which shows all the cycle routes and safe backways (showed me how to avoid Elephant and Castle roundabout when riding from Brixton to Holborn).

But I quite agree that bad cyclist behaviour is incredibly annoying. Jumping a red light when there's no pedestrians to knock over so you can avoid getting battered by traffic is understandable, but riding at speed down the pavement through crowds of pedestrians or through zebra crossings with the green man manifesting is fucking out of order.

ambrose

the prospect of cycling in sheffield is soon to be upon me, and ive got the fear of the sort of hills like up walkley way. mind you i think my commute will just be along abbeydale rd so i should be ok. seconded on the london cycling map, its an excellent way to plot a good route through london, and as with all travel routes, those that might be most pleasant, easiest, safest and quickest are not necessarily those that follow the crow flying, so take a peek and you can save yourself time and unpleasantness. i used to bike down from hornsey to clerkenwell in 25 mins, cutting out all of holloway road by going down liverpool rd, which was pretty empty and nice, and cut out highbury corner and gave an easy signalised right turn at angel. it was quikcer than any other form of transport in the morning. happy daze....

craner

Beast of Burden
Me too! I'm cycling, now. I'm have a Raleigh. That's, apparently, old school. But who knew?

I have a helmet. Of course I have a helmet! Shit, try cycling through Bank or Old Street. You'll soon get a fucking helmet, man. I don't have a cool bike. I don't look cool on a bike. I definately don't look cool enough to DIE looking cool.

I have a canal route, now. It's even more dangerous. This is because cyclists are much more dangerous than double decker buses or bendy buses or whacko cab drivers. I detest cyclists. Especially on canal paths. Especially under small bridges. I'm the only person who dismounts. 1. because I don't have a bell. 2. Because I don't want to topple into the canal. 3. Because I don't want to topple into the canal and take an innocent pedestrian with me. 4. I don't want to topple into the canal mangled up in some kamikazee cyclists suspension or chain or face.

I'm a sauntering cyclist. It's revolutionised my life. I just hate other cyclists. Hell is...them.

Jim Daze

you should get a whicker basket to attach to your handlebars, I trust you have some proper bicycle clips old boy.

ambrose

i got bicycle clips for my birthday! but i quite like tucking one leg of my trousers into my sock, but those days are over