one off bits of electronic pop joy

J

jimbackhouse

"searching for human in tight blue jeans" by kim fowley is excellent, even if the whole track is pretty much a direct steal from 'warm leatherette' (the normal, not grace jones)

the album it's from 'snake document masquerade 1980-1889' is supposed to be a retrsopective of the music of 1980's, as recorded in 1979. the rest of it is truly terrible.

cliff richards' 'wired for sound' is another one - cliff's stab at 'new pop' or something. amazingly modernist and shiny production. i know marcello was a fan of that one.

'i like small speakers, i like tall speakers...'

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
talking of Macca, there's a track called Secret Friend, one of the bonus tracks on McCartney II (the album Temporary Secretary was on), which is a ten minute disco number in the vein of Martin Circus or Life On Mars, one of those really out-there disco tunes. It's terrific- it's got arpeggios and everything, and very spacious (almost afro-beaty at points)

J

jimbackhouse

not strictly electronic, but 'opus 300' by lieutenant pigeon (it's the b-side of 'desperate dan') is jaw-droppingly good. it sounds like the glitter band auditioning for a vaudeville turn on new faces, cut and spliced with maximum fuzz and musique concret fx in the style of 'the faust tapes'. amazing record, and all that in less than three and a half minutes.

Todd Rundgren's erratic career is peppered with little electronic gems. Can't think of any titles right now though.

Oh, hang on..."Breathless" on Something/Anything - that's a good 'un!

mms

sometimes
jimbackhouse said:
not strictly electronic, but 'opus 300' by lieutenant pigeon (it's the b-side of 'desperate dan') is jaw-droppingly good. it sounds like the glitter band auditioning for a vaudeville turn on new faces, cut and spliced with maximum fuzz and musique concret fx in the style of 'the faust tapes'. amazing record, and all that in less than three and a half minutes.

is that lieutenant pigeon of mouldy old dough fame?
that track is remarkable its so odd.

J

jimbackhouse

yeah - one and the same.

mouldy old dough is an incredible record! the b-side 'the villain' is another masterpiece too, like lee perry doing his worst to a looped glitter-band outtake. i think they came from a vaudeville / musichall background, and were massively influenced by joe meek.

it's probably a diversion, but i'm sure there's some sort of an anti-canon / current to be drawn connecting joe meek, jeff wayne, roy wood, mike batt (ummmm), maybe trevor horn. a sort of variety-show avant-gardism, the like of which seems to have been comprehensively closed off by the simon cowellisation of teatime pop.

i'm sure this is marcello territory tho'... :eek:

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
jimbackhouse said:
yeah - one and the same.

mouldy old dough is an incredible record! the b-side 'the villain' is another masterpiece too, like lee perry doing his worst to a looped glitter-band outtake. i think they came from a vaudeville / musichall background, and were massively influenced by joe meek.

probably a diversion, but i'm sure there's some sort of an anti-canon / current to be drawn connecting joe meek, jeff wayne, roy wood, mike batt (ummmm), on to trevor horn, into a sort of variety-show avant-gardism (which has been comprehensively closed off by the simon cowellisation of teatime pop).

only act with mother and son in it to reach number one apart from nancy and frankie blue eyes ya know.

well one example : didn't the wrecking school of v.v.m. pick up on some of this meme, they used that and some variety show stuff on their first record , then there was the haunted ballroom album ..
they sort of loathed and mourned it at the same time i tihnk.

mms said:
is that lieutenant pigeon of mouldy old dough fame?
that track is remarkable its so odd.

There's a mad Moog version of Mouldy Old Dough by Elektrik Cokernut that has to be heard to be believed - me and Kek-W are big fans!

mms

sometimes
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
There's a mad Moog version of Mouldy Old Dough by Elektrik Cokernut that has to be heard to be believed - me and Kek-W are big fans!

yes i know,funny record that one!
Its very interesting and strange that move to moogify everything at that time, like its actually going to improve the music, its a really futuristic idea, tecnological development in the face of taste, awe of new instruments.
most of the results are really interesting with some totally spastic sounds, but there was only one real masterpiece out right and that i tihnk is tomita's 'snowflakes are dancing' which is absolutley amazing.But then the nerd in me is also in awe of the immense amount of patching he must have done to get those sounds .

Last edited:

Raw Patrick

Opus 300 by Lieuftenant Pigeon is crazy. It's like a Residents track! They also released an Opus 302 (in '73) and an Opus 304 ('in 77) but i've never heard them. Slippery Rock 70s by Stavely Makepeace, which is the same people, is as good as the title - low-fi barrelhouse moog. I look on them and similar oddities like Mr Bloe as being a UK equiv. to Van Dyke Parks or Ennio Morricone.

The Elektrik Cokernut LP is really good. Even the original track on the LP, Jungle Juice, is great - total glam stomping synth like Add N to X (or the new Goldfrapp) but 30 years (fuck!) earlier.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
jimbackhouse said:
PERFECT discription of this deeply odd record; i read this and thought "if it sounds halfway as good as that its for me.."
it is.
cheers for the tip!
(£3 on e bay(yak), there's loads- do yerself a favour)

monsterbobby

bug powder
do these count?
van halen - jump
pickety witch - son of my father
pointer sisters - jump (ok, so its now as good as the girls aloud version but, still, a tune)
taylor dane - tell it to my heart

actually i rather like The Fiery Furnaces version of Single Again with big pumping bass synths all over its face (quite a far cry from the prog excesses of their album stuff).

ladyboygrimsby

Diggedy Derek said:
talking of Macca, there's a track called Secret Friend, one of the bonus tracks on McCartney II (the album Temporary Secretary was on), which is a ten minute disco number in the vein of Martin Circus or Life On Mars, one of those really out-there disco tunes. It's terrific- it's got arpeggios and everything, and very spacious (almost afro-beaty at points)

it's actually the b-side to temporary secretary on the 12-inch. miles better than temporary secretary, never understood what all the hoxton fuss was about. they picked the wrong side.

also by macca: check my machine from the same period, also brilliant and weird.

and: new musik - 24 hours from culture
m - pop musik
flash in the pan - midnight man // waiting for a train
alan rankine - rumours of war

henry s

Street Fighting Man
somebody mentioned Todd Rundgren..."A Wizard, A True Star" is basically a full LP of electronic pop gems, "Neverland" and "Tic Tic Tic It Wears Off" are tops for me...the whole "Novelty Rock" LP by Denim, too...also, "Thursday" by Fatima Mansions...uh, Black Moth Super Rainbow...

polystyle

electropopjoy

Couldn't resist including 2 oldies that fit your description ...
The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight by Dominatrix
Armband by Karel Fialka