Classic Mix Compilations

kingofcars

most of i-f's mixes are crucial...there's a lot of other good mixes on the cbs page, too...(any of intergalactic gary's mixes, the lawrence sim mixes....)

while on the dutch italo/electro tip, don't forget dj TLR. a lot of people chalk him up to being merely an i-f clone, but he's got some very impressive mixes.
http://www.globaldarkness.com/mix/mixes.htm
the 'falling' and 'i found my place in outer space' mixes are really exceptional...

there are also those cosmic dance mixes floating around somewhere on the net (can't remember where)...those things are great...

D84

I enjoyed that Derrick May Mayday mix from ages ago - it's got some great stuff on it.

That Daniel Bell "Button Down Mind" mix on Tresor was great too.

We've enjoyed sharing burns of some of the Larry Heard mixes on the Deep House Page. The Jeff Mills "Wizard" mixes there are cool too.

Of the bloggers' mixes I've had a chance to listen to so far I dug Stelfox's "Real Dancehall Rock" mix which has cheered me up here at work many a time, ditto the "Lyic Maker" Mix and the Dr Wo mix is excellent too.

I've enjoyed the two Chris Duckenfield mixes that I've downloaded from the Swag site so far - esp. the "after-hours" mix.

I'm looking forward to checking out those I-F mixes - thanks for the links!

But DJ mix-sets for me are definitely diminishing returns things. I can get tired of listening to them again and again so I try to have a clutch of them handy when I'm in the mix set mood. Like all improvised (or semi-improvised) things their qualities are evanescent. And that's not a bad thing.

There's definitely some that I can only listen to rarely these days esp (eg. the Q-Bert pumpkin squeeze tape or that D. May mix above).

I'm not a DJ and I don't have two decks so for me it makes sense to listen to DJ-mixes to get an idea of what's going on - sometimes there can be too many distractions at clubs/parties : ) - and to listen to some of these tracks in their "natural" context alongside other tracks.

Rambler

Awanturnik
kingofcars said:
most of i-f's mixes are crucial...there's a lot of other good mixes on the cbs page, too...(any of intergalactic gary's mixes, the lawrence sim mixes....)

while on the dutch italo/electro tip, don't forget dj TLR. a lot of people chalk him up to being merely an i-f clone, but he's got some very impressive mixes.
http://www.globaldarkness.com/mix/mixes.htm
the 'falling' and 'i found my place in outer space' mixes are really exceptional...

there are also those cosmic dance mixes floating around somewhere on the net (can't remember where)...those things are great...

Cheers for the tips - I'll check these out. That CBS page is kinda daunting, trying to d/load huge mixes whilst avoiding the duds, so pointers are really useful.

kingofcars

tracklistings can be found for some of the mixes on cbs in the forums section...you might have to dig a bit or do some searches, tho...