The realisation that you don't really like house music much any more...

kingofcars

a few speculations:

i know drugs were touched upon earlier, but i'd figure i'd bring them up again...shifts away from psychedelics in the gay/black community could be another factor contributing to the decline of creativity...things now are a far cry from the acid punch days at the music box...

also, not 100% sure, but from what i gather, the early chicago producers were a pretty mixed bag, in terms of sexual orientation...that is to say, the people behind the music weren't exclusively/primarily gay...
so yeah, it's already difficult to keep sexual identities in musical innovation so polarzied..

@ canada j soup - point about APT well taken!

ladyboygrimsby

dominic said:
another weird wrinkle is that most of the guys who pioneered the shelter sound were straight = timmy regisford, etc

but the really dark chicago stuff -- which crossed over w/ straight europeans -- was made by gay people

though all in all, the scene was more mixed than i'm perhaps suggesting

(also -- anybody here ever hear rumors to effect that dr dre is gay???)

and, no, this is not supposed to be an "out" all the gay people in hip hop thread

it's just a case of me wondering what happened to the gay black music scene -- again, maybe it's lost its identity and cohesion -- and there's been a kind of diffusion of gay influence? -- such that there's a high degree of black gay participation in hip hop and people just don't realize it b/c it's "invisible" in terms of hip hop's overall cultural politics

Most of the people in Chicago who made records, both 'soulful' and 'dark' were straight. Who were you thinking of when you suggested otherwise (obviously there were some gay producers, but not as many as you'd imagine given its roots).

dominic

Beast of Burden
ladyboygrimsby said:
Most of the people in Chicago who made records, both 'soulful' and 'dark' were straight. Who were you thinking of when you suggested otherwise (obviously there were some gay producers, but not as many as you'd imagine given its roots).

farley jack master funk
robert owens
frankie knuckles
ron hardy
ralphi rosario
jack master dick
adonis
dj pierre
risque rhythm team (mr lee, k alexi)
liddel townsell
maurice joshua
ten city (byron stingily)
steve "silk" hurley

bassnation

the abyss
dominic said:
farley jack master funk
robert owens
frankie knuckles
ron hardy
ralphi rosario
jack master dick
adonis
dj pierre
liddel townsell
maurice joshua
steve "silk" hurley

plus derrick carter and cajmere. in fact i can name way more gay chicago house producers than straight ones.

adverb

bassnation said:
plus derrick carter and cajmere. in fact i can name way more gay chicago house producers than straight ones.

it may come as a shock, but cajmere/green velvet is straight!

oh yes.

bassnation

the abyss
adverb said:
it may come as a shock, but cajmere/green velvet is straight!

oh yes.

crikey, never would have thought. i've got one tune of his (a pretty good one as it happens) where he sings "i'm looking for a man to love me" in a creepy voice. its easy to assume when you hear tunes like that!

ladyboygrimsby

dominic said:
farley jack master funk
robert owens
frankie knuckles
ron hardy
ralphi rosario
jack master dick
adonis
dj pierre
liddel townsell
maurice joshua
steve "silk" hurley

Aren't all the Hot Mix 5 straight? DJ Pierre is very straight, married with kids. I've met them and his missus, who sang on many of his records. I think Lidell is straight too and Steve Silk Hurley is married with kids. Ron was gay but never really made any significant records. And then there's Marshall, Chip E, Master C&J, Wayne Williams, Jesse Saunders, Vince Lawrence; all straight etc. I'm not saying there were NO gays, but it's surprising how many were straight.

And Larry Heard is a longstanding mystery. I even asked his manager Rene and he had no idea. Mysterious figure, but probably gay.

dominic

Beast of Burden
larry heard is straight, i believe

but are you sure about dj pierre not being gay???

(though if you've met the missus and kids . . . . )

anyway, we probably shouldn't allow this thread to degenerate into speculation about who's gay and who's straight

basic point is that the actual producers were a mixed lot

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
dominic said:
larry heard is straight, i believe

but are you sure about dj pierre not being gay???

(though if you've met the missus and kids . . . . )

you know, the married thing isn't as reliable an indicator of sexuality as you might think. but yeah, wandering off the point somewhat.

ladyboygrimsby

bassnation said:
you know, the married thing isn't as reliable an indicator of sexuality as you might think. but yeah, wandering off the point somewhat.

Mmm, yes, I know what you're saying, but equally these are not normal people, are they? They would have far more experience of gay culture than an ordinary straight joe. So if they were gay, I think they would probably have come to terms a lot more readily than someone else. Not that I'm saying I irrefutably know they're not secretly cottaging or anything....

mms

sometimes
it seems to me and from the guys i 've ever met that the style is in some ways to act and dress gayish or 'freaky' as it's the vibe , regardless of sexuality the lines are blurred it's just style - like the way uk indie peole now dress like schoolkids or office workers ;)

mms

sometimes
post-house is ready to go i think - nominating ' strategy - world house ' and theo parrish's new capriarious #7
4/ 4 but so loosley 4 /4

adverb

mms said:
post-house is ready to go i think - nominating ' strategy - world house ' and theo parrish's new capriarious #7
4/ 4 but so loosley 4 /4

oh no - please don't let's call anything post house! it's all house anyhow - even techno.

bring back calling everything house!