Favourite cheesy dance 'choon'-anthem

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There's a New Zealand composer called Jack Body - seems almost criminal that he didn't do house music rather than making electro-acoustic stuff out of recordings of Balinese street scenes. :p

Anyway, touche Omaar... how about Snap's 'Rhythm is a Dancer'? Dannii's 'I Begin To Wonder'? Had a great time dancing to that in a shit bar in Sydney for Mardi Gras a few years back.

Cat(c)hy Dennis is pretty great, no doubt...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
blunt said:
Daft Punk - One More Time feat Romanthony

Armand van Helden - Flowerz (I notice he's been referenced a lot, as well. Armand van Helden: the acceptable face of cheese?)

Nothing wrong with Armand Van Helden at all. I wouldn't class him as cheese. Just good house music.

Cheese is anything you would be embarassed to be caught listening to (with some qualifications which I am not going to get into).

kingofcars

also, those happy hardcore tunes by bang! do it for me...
esp. shooting star, give me a reason, and break of dawn...

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
DigitalDjigit said:
Cheese is anything you would be embarassed to be caught listening to
That works pretty well as a definition for me (except that it means I'd have to withdraw some of my choices).

I've always considered one of the hallmarks of truly cheesy dance music to be for the track to seem like it was created specifically and almost solely to be played to drunken audiences at meat market nite clubs for about a year after release and at wedding receptions for a further ten or so years after that. Music to be danced to by crowds who are collectively not all that invested in what they dance to but like to recognize it as something they saw on MTV earlier. A simple 4:4 beat, drunken singalongable vocal hooks and a video with loads of scantily clad women in it are other key factors. (The more scantily clad women, the bigger the hit I reckon: see "Macarena", "Mambo No. 5" and "Call on Me".)

Woebot

final cut: take me away
mk: feel the fire

both cheat submissions because they're both "hip" detroit productions. however they both have that massive dancefloor appeal and "feel the fire" should have been a huge hit!

martin

----
Livin Joy - Dreamer
D-Mob - Acieed (will always remind me of ten 13-yr olds on the bus to school, in furry anoraks with the hoods up, terrorising old ladies by screaming the chorus non-stop)
The Ones - Flawless
Inner City - Good Life
S Express - Theme...(only one of the best records ever made)
Shy FX / UK Apache - Original Nuttah
Adamski - Killer
whoever did "True Love Never Dies" in early 2002, but that's mostly cos it reminds me of someone

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Just thought of another classic slice of cheese after having the tune in my head all morning and trying to remember what it was ...

Atlantic Ocean - "Waterfall"

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
For me Dreamer by Livin' Joy is on the absolute dividing line between good-cheesy and bad-cheesy. It's a one-dimensionally anthemic quality that suggests it had one eye firmly on the chart, and there's no interesting textures there or anything, but the singing is a sassy smash and grab on classic garage vocals, and it just has so much balls that you can't help but love it.

dominic

Beast of Burden
The Funky Worm - "Hustle to the Music" -- zany psychedelic brilliance -- but i'm sure some would say cheesy

Canada J Soup said:
There is definitely a disconnect between the US and UK where a lot of tracks that charted over there but stayed deep underground here are concerned.

very true

Canada J Soup said:
Nomad - "Devotion" (anyone know if a dub of this existed? I think I'd still really like it but can't face having to listen MC Mikee Freedom)

yeah, there's an instrumental on the flip -- w/ the "i wanna give you devotion" sample repeated just as frequently as on the A -- but if you play the instrumental, people are gonna think you lack nerve!

also on the flip is "sangfroid" -- a chilled version

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
martin said:
Livin Joy - Dreamer
D-Mob - Acieed (will always remind me of ten 13-yr olds on the bus to school, in furry anoraks with the hoods up, terrorising old ladies by screaming the chorus non-stop)
The Ones - Flawless
Inner City - Good Life
S Express - Theme...(only one of the best records ever made)
Shy FX / UK Apache - Original Nuttah
Adamski - Killer
whoever did "True Love Never Dies" in early 2002, but that's mostly cos it reminds me of someone

Most of these aren't cheesy in the slightest. I'm certainly not embarrased to admit that I like good life.

run_time

not strictly cheese, Plastic Dreams by Jaydee, enough emotional baggage tied up with that to bring a smile to my face everytime

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nice thread :D

Robin S - Show Me Love < I dunno if this is considered 'cheesy' at all but it might get dropped at a horrific cheese club as a moment of grace. One of my favourite dance vocals.

If that's not enough East 17- House of Love sha-huh-ya-muh

I always find it quite amusing to think that we used to dance at school discos to tunes that were at least stylistically connected with drug-fuelled dance events (or directly - Let Me Be Your Fantasy). I wonder what dance music little kids particularly go for - big hooks, a decent tune...?