Run the Road 2

Raw Patrick

Oh, I also wanted to say that a lot of space that may have gone to music like grime in the broadsheets etc. is just getting auto-funnelled to coverage of all the neo-Brit pop like the Kaiser Chiefs, Babyshambles etc. which hasn't helped and also how the myth of rock'n'roll always works in the favour of those people - white rocker smokes crack it's news, if Wiley did it, well that'd just be expected wouldn't it... 'only natural'.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Wiley can't afford to put out a compilation of his material which would be widely available.

And don't mention Pow, that was one of the biggest fuck ups ever. Putting it out christmas weekend.... jesus.

Raw Patrick

(Ha ha, yeah I knew that about 'Pow' I just didn't mention it in order to bolster my case.)

Why couldn't Wiley afford it though? Other people without major backing manage to make it into the shops, not all the time but some times, and if something was gonna do it, was set up for coverage and good reviews (evem beyond the fact that it'd be great) it'd be something like that surely.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i would love to see wiley put out an album of his instrumentals. like blackdown suggested of skream, it would be great if a label like k7 or someone put out a CD of his best instrumentals. his tracks all stand up on their own without an MC over them. wileys maybe the most genius producer london's made in the last ten years - it would be a shame if more people didnt hear why. maybe he has a long term plan in mind after this roll deep album, this might just be the first step, i dunno, maybe he has bigger, less obviously commercial projects in mind to follow after he proves he can engineer a bona fide success, who knows. i hope so.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Nice one for dropping back Raw Patrick- I enjoyed your review, although I have to say I totally disagreed with it. I think there's easily enough tunes on the album to make it worthwhile, really. Bearman Drinking Beer, Crazy Titch going crazy, Big Seac going Nah Nah. There's lots of good stuff on here.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Logan Sama said:
3 points....

The *real* story behind the Kray Twins single is quite obvious if you have followed the grime scene for over a year.

And Jr Gong's track Welcome To Jamrock was a massive single before he was sold to the world as the son of Bob. Admittedly the album is being marketed heavily as such, but the single showed genuine talent and had a real cutting edge quality to it which meant the success it garnered originally was nothing to do with name brand recognition.

A Grime Hits style cd would cost a lot of money to put together, and people don't like spending money on things which aren't a cast iron guaranteed success in the UK.

that's good to know. obviously i only i heard the single last week for the first time. always nice to be taken to school.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
clearly (to me at least) stelfox's point about marley getting a free pass refers to the way the mainstream is reacting to him - on the contrary, the marleys seem to have to prove themselves extra hard in the reggae/dancehall world on account of their name. people are always suspicious that they're just riding on their dad's coat tails, and so they have to produce something pretty extraordinary to hit (like welcome to jamrock, the single)

anyway. what's the *real* story behind the kray twins single then?

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Raw Patrick said:
Is it not fucking insane though that you have someone like Wiley, whose ice cold titles Eski period was prob. the best body of work being made at that time, in the WORLD not just in grime, and it isn't readily available, except on p2p (well, I know some pieces turned up on his XL lp but it's not the same.) Why isn't there a 2cd comp., vocal versions and instrumentals. Just on the basis of THIS IS WHAT I'VE CREATED he should get it out there! Tons of amazing music is going almost undocumented and I think that this'll continue until in 10-20 years it'll start getting bootlegged. Just like the 60s garage punk scene, or a lotta 70s UK and US punk until those Killed by Death comps, or 70s funk seven inches or etc. etc. etc. It's nuts.

I suspect that Wiley doesn't spend a great deal of time dwelling on the past and his attention is on directing his present/future projects.I would definitely shell out for a well compiled and cleanly mastered CD of Wiley dubs though.Paperchase are releasing a CD compilation of previously released Divinche instrumentals,but I think the material on it only goes back a year or so.