Political/Conscious Grime?

gumdrops said:
perhaps this is too cynical, but i admired that song more than i liked it. i thought it was pretty corny. it didnt help that the over-melismatic singing on the chorus reminded me of any number of other melodramatic US hip hop tracks.

I agree it is a little corny but I think that helps acessibility for those who wouldn't normally listen to politically concious lyrics. In terms of getting a message across through music this seems to be the only way to make any sort of significant penetration at the moment :(

Memes

Donae'o 'change' feat Wiley

anyone heard this? It's very political, Wiley talks guns and politicians and police searches, 'who made the guns, who are the founders' 'them politicians they don't like us, they wanna see us self-destruct.'

It's a great verse actually

J

mms

sometimes
Memes said:
anyone heard this? It's very political, Wiley talks guns and politicians and police searches, 'who made the guns, who are the founders' 'them politicians they don't like us, they wanna see us self-destruct.'

It's a great verse actually

J
Yeah this is the track i mentioned in my first post - it's an interesting one if a little conspiratorial, i think someone else mentioned this one too - its on the roll deep lp and had taken on more weight lately

hint

party record with a siren
mms said:
Yeah this is the track i mentioned in my first post - it's an interesting one if a little conspiratorial, i think someone else mentioned this one too - its on the roll deep lp and had taken on more weight lately

Change is a different track, but Wiley uses the same lyrics. Uptown have it in stock now.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
mms said:
heard one interesting one that was going on about 'we're all terror suspects ' the other night and talking about the aftermarth of the bmbings abd fearing the tube.

I think that was a track by MC Dream. Luka could tell you more about his political lyrics.

gumdrops said:
xpost - correct me if im wrong, but i think tactics just means he'd like to see more grime MCs tackling issues pertinent to the black community in london/the UK.

gumdrops jus murked with this reply.

yup bang on.

see this is what I mean....

SIZZLE said:
there's a few moving on dub with more political ideas:

Silence - Misty Dubs has a purple verse: 'Purple did not vote/cuz the government brings the guns in..." He seems to be one of the more consciously conscious lyricists out there right now and has been for a while.

Moving - The Cream is an anti gun tune, with a first verse from I think it's Bashy (?!) doing an "I have a dream" one-line that's quite good, many of the MCs on there come on a more thoughtful political tip, plus the Danny Weed riddim doesnt hurt either, big tune I reckon.

Donaeo - Bounce is old but pretty explicit 'Don't do druugs, just have sex'.

And there a few other flickers, Skepta shouting out Marcus Garvey on sets lately, JME with his Don't Chat lyrics...

this is gonna sound bad but the 'Moving' track...like why? most of the mc's and singers are of African/African Caribbean heritage but they did a track for the Tsunami? when back home the no. of casualties the Tsunami had happens like everyday. I mean even with the Live 8 nonsense they could have tied something in....Bashy's verse interpolating Martin and namechecking Marcus would have made sense then...oh well.....

Purple is big...

I remember seeing Donaeo on the 32 once lol....

Skepta shouting out Marcus....rah...he goes further up in my list again.....

worrior

Deep in the manor where the poverty’s physical
There’s not a lot sweet so most look miserable.
Dizzee, Get by

Polly Toynbee move aside.... ;)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Could be wrong but I think Moving is an anti-gun crime tune, don't think it's a tsunami one... Don't have it on tape, just heard it a few times on radio tho..

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Tactics said:
most of the mc's and singers are of African/African Caribbean heritage but they did a track for the Tsunami? when back home the no. of casualties the Tsunami had happens like everyday.

Figures please? Links?

Also, just because they're of african/caribean descent doesn't meant hat those places are home for them. As was said earlier, up thread.

gumdrops

most of these in-yer-face political tracks are kinda rub, lets be honest. not sure i need these. i think im happier listening to jammer recite the murkle man lyrics for the 904069th time. ;)

mms

sometimes
Tactics said:
this is gonna sound bad but the 'Moving' track...like why? most of the mc's and singers are of African/African Caribbean heritage but they did a track for the Tsunami? when back home the no. of casualties the Tsunami had happens like everyday. I mean even with the Live 8 nonsense they could have tied something in....Bashy's verse interpolating Martin and namechecking Marcus would have made sense then...oh well.....

Purple is big...

I remember seeing Donaeo on the 32 once lol....

Skepta shouting out Marcus....rah...he goes further up in my list again.....

i still think you're assuming quite alot on behalf of these guys - i think the here and now and who they are like in an other genre of music - especially as grime is so localised and london centric it's the way they are and will be and express their thoughts and deeds.
this is partly what 'concious' artists have alwaya done anyway, localised politics.
anyway the tsunami is big and fucking mad, so i don't think its the right thing to ask why. :)

gumdrops

grime basically poses no real threat to the establishment if you think about it. sure its made by angry, young, british black youth, who havent really had a 'voice' by and large, but much of its anger is just posturing, and its vacuous. what are they angry at? nothing. its all just reactionary anger and empty bluster, aggression for the sake of it. if grime artists really represented some sort of counter culture to the mainstream, it would be a different matter, but grime by and large, doesnt aspire to present an image and viewpoint that's all that different to the one being espoused by american rappers, its just being expressed in a different medium with its own individual, more localised style.

you know...there's so much to go into re: this post

gumdrops said:
grime basically poses no real threat to the establishment if you think about it. sure its made by angry, young, british black youth, who havent really had a 'voice' by and large, but much of its anger is just posturing, and its vacuous. what are they angry at? nothing. its all just reactionary anger and empty bluster, aggression for the sake of it. if grime artists really represented some sort of counter culture to the mainstream, it would be a different matter, but grime by and large, doesnt aspire to present an image and viewpoint that's all that different to the one being espoused by american rappers, its just being expressed in a different medium with its own individual, more localised style.

that is of a more sinister nature but it'll probably fall on 'deaf' ears here...great post though..

btw 'drops I have to have to say you murked it on saying Trim was the garage/grime/NUKG version of Roots Manuva...after some thought that is a heavy comparison....

Paul Hotflush

techno head
gumdrops said:

Agree.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
sufi said:

I was just going to drop this one, thought it was strange that the thread went on for so long before someone mentioned it.

That really was the tune that drew my attention to how little grime MC's chat about politics, since it felt so unique when Bashy & Bruza all of a sudden did it on this one.

gumdrops

theres a footsie track called what can i do (i think thats the name) thats pretty good and talks about police harassment and a few other weighty topics. its pretty good actually. not really a grime song though, could be from any other uk hip hop artist