Cover Versions That Mess With The DNA

labrat

hot on the heels of love
'twas by The Seeds and the version i've heard (on live at the YMCA-one of the very few live albums I like.)
is fairly true to the original...they do a Velvet Undrground cover on there too( if she ever comes now) thats
equally true to source- if a little more morose.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
labrat said:
'twas by The Seeds and the version i've heard (on live at the YMCA-one of the very few live albums I like.)
is fairly true to the original...they do a Velvet Undrground cover on there too( if she ever comes now) thats
equally true to source- if a little more morose.

Yes, I was going to mention those two .... I think the VU cover is actually quite a radical reworking though....

John, the lead singer of the Seeds was called Sky Saxon, that's the Saxon connection....

(I agree that Live at the YMCA is a phenomenal live album too).

Rambler

Awanturnik
dsp13 said:
Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth) doing "Get into the groove" with Thurston's lazy, druggy, vaguely homoerotic vocals is one of my favourite covers

Sonic Youth one of the great cover bands in fact.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Laura Nyro's cover of Up On The Roof, from one of her albums.

Doesnt mess with the DNA in a musical sense but its sequenced right after a very very brutal junkie song, which puts a totally new meaning on it.

'When this old world starts getting me down, and people are much too much for me to take...' - its so obviously a smack song. Creepy.

PeteUM

It's all grist
3underscore said:
Xper.xr - especially the ... . . . . . (or something similar) album. Every single song a cover in a kind-of japanese style. Quite magnificent as well!

Yup. A wonderful record.

Moodles

The Fiery Furnaces recent cover of Norweigian Wood comes to mind - not great, but different.

The Residents have a ton of bizarre covers - I think they may have done Satisfaction too.

Frank Zappa also did many grotesque covers - An electronic version of Purple Haze/Sunshine of Your Love with Ike Willis' "Thing-Fish" negroid vocals and Mike Keneally imitating Johnny Cash, plus a reggae and horns interpretation of Stairway to Heaven. Great stuff!

mrchrispy

Love all three of the Nine Inch Nails covers already mentioned although the only one I heard after already knowing the original was "Physical" (probably unforgivable that I hadn't heard "Dead Souls" anything at all by Joy Division by that point, but you have to cut me some slack I was probably 16 when I picked up Broken and had my whole world changed).

Anybody else hear the ultra dark brooding "Black Sabbath" cover by Type O Negative? It was released on the Nativity in Black tribute album sometime in the mid-nineties. I was never much of a Type O fand, but the amount of bass in the lead singer's voice was such a jarring contrast to Ozzy's screech that I found this utterly captivating.

Biggest DNA changer ever (and so blindingly obvious that I feel like surely somebody must have mentioned it already, but I'm too lazy to scroll back and make sure) though has to be Aretha's cover of "Respect" changing it from Otis' "why isn't there a hot meal waiting for me at home woman?" screed into the feminist anthem.

zhao

there are no accidents
if no one has mentioned David Banner's version of the Arto Lindsay tune Simply Beautiful - "If I gave you my love"...

"If I pull out my gun, tell you what I'll do... I'll put so many holes, in you..."

yeah!

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
bronze age fox doing prince's 'most beautiful girl'

elephant man - so many to choose from, but i'm going with 'i will survive' and some celine dion slow jam from a few years ago

henry s

Street Fighting Man
has anybody yet mentioned the Talking Heads version "Take Me To The River"?...until I heard the Al Green version (was his the original?) I also had no idea it was meant to be so spiritual, baptismal...(like duh, it's only there in the lyrics)...

also: Tricky's "Black Steel", taking PE into crowd-surf mosh-pit heaven...

and speaking of heaven, Dinosaur Jr's "Just Like Heaven", which they had the balls to cover while the original was still a hit (I know that happens all the time nowadays, but in the late-80's, not so much)...

The Dickies' version of "Paranoid" takes the original to its illogical, illegible conclusion...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
oh, I almost forgot this one: the Pale Saints cover of "Fell From The Sun", in which a 4AD band janglicizes a grand, sweeping tune written by a former member of Rain Parade, erstwhile members of the Paisley Underground...as Bart Simpson would say, "the ironing is delicious"...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Already mentioned osme of my favorite, darker, covers: Johnny Cash-Hurt; PWEI - Love Missle.

But, as far as taking a song and makin it a LOT darker, and completely changing the tone: Dead Kennedys' - I Fought the Law. Wow, what a cover. By changing a few key words, completely revamped the song from Johnny Rivers' catchy, fall-in-line and obey song to an amazing anrachical anthem. And its wicked fun, too.

shykitten

peek-a-boo
yes i totally agree on the Cabaret Voltaire front, i like how in their early material they used other group's songs like any other snippets of pop culture history to be filtered and distorted, like news broadcasts or political speeches. their track 'She Loved You' (sic) on 1974-76 stretches the idea of a cover version; is reciting the Beatles lyrics in a totally altered context (as a sinister whisper over a slow-motion electro-drone) a cover, or a sort of sampling (and indeed the track is credited to Kirk/Mallinder/Watson), or something inbetween?

my favourite cover version: The Shamen 'Purple Haze'; deconstructing the 'rock' element (Hendrix's original guitar sampled and attached to programmed beats, vocals spoken rather than sung, in a deadpan, broad scots accent), but still a knowingly 'psychedelic' selection. they even released an instrumental remix of it as one of their own tracks under the title 'PH1'.

and thinking of The Shamen reminds me, there are also adaptations of poems, such as their version of Mark Twain's 'War Prayer', the Blue Aeroplanes doing Sylvia Plath's 'The Applicant' (both great tracks i think, although such 'high' cultual borrowings maybe risk pretentiousness), then there is The Fall's 'Jerusalem'... these are also interesting 'cover versions'. The Fall, of course, do a whole sideline in obscure covers.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
sorry to ressurect this thread after so long but I was on the train today and I was thinking about SHIZOU's awesome breakcore trash punk cover of THE CRAMPS' "NEW KICK"... totally amazing cover of a fantastic song. I love how it was so different to the original but somehow maintained the same raw energy.