Kanye West - Late Registration

S

simon silverdollar

bit disappointed too. like dizzee's second album, there just seems to be too many words. not enough space. and the move from sped up ardkore chipmunks to sultry loungey soul productions isn't to my liking...

Woebot

simon silverdollar said:
bit disappointed too. like dizzee's second album, there just seems to be too many words. not enough space. and the move from sped up ardkore chipmunks to sultry loungey soul productions isn't to my liking...

bit thin on the old poptones.

S

simon silverdollar

also, owning a record which features the singer from maroon 5 is something which i don't feel altogether comfortable with...

hint

party record with a siren
simon silverdollar said:
also, owning a record which features the singer from maroon 5 is something which i don't feel altogether comfortable with...

Crikey! Definitely crossing it off my list for now. I'm happy just waiting for each single as it comes out, I think. For me, it's radio / MTV music.

Having said that, though, I got Kanye's track with Rhymefest this week - that's brilliant.

tom pr

gumdrops said:
this IS the hip hop album of the year. theres little to no competition really.
Quasimoto - Further Adventures of Lord Quas is a lot better if you ask me. and I think the track with Maroon 5 bloke is the best thing on the Kanye album. oh well.

gumdrops

i love the random, almost anti-song oddball-ness of the 2nd quas album but find a whole album of madlib rapping (even in that helium voice) hard to tolerate

tom pr

gumdrops said:
i love the random, almost anti-song oddball-ness of the 2nd quas album but find a whole album of madlib rapping (even in that helium voice) hard to tolerate
I think that's why i love it so much too - the stuttery stop/start method the tracklisting takes, and the way you never have the same beat for more than two minutes - all wired up keeping you on your toes like. I like the rapping a lot though; think the helium voice brings out the funnier side in madlib's lyrics (especially the "gimme that girl!" bit on the opener).

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, dunno, the second album didn't quite do it for me. When that wonky jazz bassline comes in at the start I thought it it was gonna be the best album ever. But whereas the first one switches between smoky, elusive grooves like a celestial crossfader, the jerky sketches mean it never seems quite as right as the first one. That was the brilliance of The Unseen, those switches and drop-outs lodged themselves in your head, it was like the best DJ set ever.

gumdrops

i actually much prefer the 2nd one - the first one just smacks of the beginning of the end for indie/underground rap. it was refreshing at the time, just like the lootpack album, but now, it just sounds really conservative, and predictable. all those standard regulation adhering-to-the-tenets-of-the-holy-boom-bap type beats, all mid tempo, and worse, never really hitting hard, all just staying light and unintrusive, kinda like the beginning of non threatening dinner party background rap music. or maybe i just have a really poor memory and need to hear it again!

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
oh man i LOVE bill plympton. wonderful. cant wait to see the video. now if only someone would make a track with 'in flooby nooby' as the hook . . .

Ach!

Turd on the Run
"Addiction" is in my Top100 songs of all time I think. At least it is at the moment. It's luuuuuuverly. In fact, I love it in exactly the same way I love Kano's "Addicted" (which was produced by Jammer methinks and was on the LOTD3 comp, but not on the LP! Urh?).

gumdrops

the new mix cd is great. one of the best things ive heard this year. the track he produced for common is excellent too.