who is better: paul mccartney or phil collins?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^^ Wow, I really hope that craner and Crowley are taking the piss here: Wonderful Christmas Time is clearly one of the worst Xmas records ever, cheap tossed-off crap. If it wasn't by Macca no-one would have bought it (and we wouldn't still be subjected to it all these years later...).

CrowleyHead

^^ Wow, I really hope that craner and Crowley are taking the piss here: Wonderful Christmas Time is clearly one of the worst Xmas records ever, cheap tossed-off crap. If it wasn't by Macca no-one would have bought it (and we wouldn't still be subjected to it all these years later...).

Come on man, where's your Xmas cheer?

I still maintain though, while I mock him endlessly, Paul made a proper Xmas song, and for forever tainting my favorite holiday with his "Working Class Hero" shtick, Lennon gets the boot.

woops

is not like other people
which is better: shampoo or conditioner?

Shampoo were fun at the time, uh oh we're in trouble
not heard conditioner, recommendation anyone?

err unless you mean hair products in which case conditioner ftw

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sure it's been mentioned already (can't be arsed to check through the whole thread) but if not Check My Machine is good (I think)

craner

Beast of Burden
I like how 'Merry Christmas Everyone' was the response to 'Merry Xmas (War is Over)'. I think Paul had the edge on Lennon at this slender moment. This is also the exact time of 'Check My Machine' if I'm not mistaken. Happy and stoned and noodling mildly not wildly in his studio barn.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
for forever tainting my favorite holiday with his "Working Class Hero" shtick, Lennon gets the boot.

Yeah, God forbid that someone have principles and express them in their music. :rolleyes:

I dunno though, I'm not immune to Xmas cheer (though it's still far too early in the year for it) and don't have a problem with Xmas songs if they're done well. But Wonderful Christmas Time doesn't have any of they joy or open-heartedness or slight silliness that I want from a good Christmas song, it just sort of toddles along blandly. Merry Christmas Everyone is slightly better than WCT, I'll admit. Only slightly though.

massrock

Merry Christmas Everyone is slightly better than WCT, I'll admit. Only slightly though.
LOL, I've just twigged what craner wrote. For god's sake let's leave Shaky out of this. :eek:

Wonderful Christmas Time is a pretty cool track though, a subdued and sustained vibe, warm like snow, the slapback echo on the minimal guitar interjections, the self mocking doo-doo-doo backing vocals, the ice-rink strings...

CrowleyHead

Yeah, God forbid that someone have principles and express them in their music. :rolleyes:.

That stuff is all fine and good; just, not on Xmas.

Everyone loves Xmas, it transcends war. John Lennon thought it was a good idea to have screeching kids (defeating any argument of Yoko bringing atonal charm to the track) and sing a Christmas song about world peace. THERE'S ALREADY WORLD PEACE, IT'S CHRISTMAS!

Also; I've realized, from the severe amount of strange synths on that track, Paul made the 1st Wonky Christmas Song. Zomby better make a remix by Thanksgiving.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Everyone loves Xmas

You're kidding, right?! My Xmas is predicated on leaving the goddamn country. Xmas outside Britain is alright though. (I'm assuming you live in Britain here, a supposition for which I have no evidence)

Best Xmas song is still the most bleedingly obvious one. No, not that one. That one.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Everyone loves Xmas, it transcends war...THERE'S ALREADY WORLD PEACE, IT'S CHRISTMAS!

yes, tell that to everyone in a war zone this Christmas.:rolleyes:

on a personal note, I hate Christmas. as do many people. Thanksgiving at least has the pretense of being about family and gratitude. not to mention the 3/4ths of the world who aren't Christian, who are at the very least indifferent to it. actually, I'd bet Christmas is a much bigger deal in the U.S. than it is in most places; it's like the perfect American holiday - consumerism run amok, stuffing oneself to excess, garish light displays.

on the original tap, Collins by a mile. he, as someone put it, "knows his way around a groove". also, when's the last time Sir Paul killed a guest spot on a Bone Thugs tune? check out that screwface!

STN

sou'wester
surely popism demands that we all pretend to like all Christmas songs bar Fairytale of New York in order not to come across as some sort of bunch of Neu-loving snobs?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I love all Christmas songs bar Fairytale of New York, and I am definitely not a Neu!-loving snob. Oh no, sirree. Not me.

The first time I hear Slade each Xmas, it fills my heart with such leaden misery that I want to cry.

CrowleyHead

I guess it's 'cause I'm an American that I have this clear clash...

As far as a musician, Collins wins. Actually, every prog artist in England who isn't Keith Emerson has great taste in influences and collaborators.

But as a songwriter... Fuck man, I hate Wings. But the last Fireman album was 'ok' (mostly Youth saving it though) and I still maintain the brilliance of that Xmas song. Collins on his own has multiple levels of awful.