so it's antony and the jonsons then

Buick6

too punk to drunk
They're both shi. I was at a gig last night talking with a tour promoter about the Mercury awards - he summed it up perfectly:

'It's comparing between an apple, watermelon, spaceship and an egg, which one do you give the award to?'

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Buick6 said:
'It's comparing between an apple, watermelon, spaceship and an egg, which one do you give the award to?'

Why do they always choose a spaceship? They never win, it's just some stupid token thing. The judges are only really interested in food, but to be *well-rounded* they feel they need to nominate heavy engineering projects and government agencies.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Buick6 said:
They're both shi. I was at a gig last night talking with a tour promoter about the Mercury awards - he summed it up perfectly:

Interestingly, that;s more or less a direct quote of what Antony said when he went to go up and receive the award. Would it be any better if all the acts were of one genre though?

gumdrops

k-punk said:
just watching the repeat, see what you mean... intolerable sanctimonious posh brat.... (born in Hounslow)....

(I like the record, but I think of it as like an update of the Belle Stars or something... not at all street....)

well, the record's still fantastic to my ears, she's still fantastic to my eyes (ha), but yeah, shes definitely not from road (i dont think shes pretending to be from 'the street' really though - just listen to that accent! - and i dont much care if she fits into the paradigm for 'street authenticity' or not). maybe she has lived in a mud hut back in sri lanka, who knows. either way, i just found her crass 'sell' of it too redolent of many posh kids who go abroad to slum it in the 'third world' for a year, only to come straight back to their wonderful houses in the home counties and tell everyone so proudly about how they 'roughed it'.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
re: mia. I don't know much about her except she makes good original pop music (who produces her tracks anyway???)... find the 3,000 units thing pretty far fetched though... her video even made it to the big screens on the side of the buildings in akihabara and even my japanese girlfriend who has no particular interest in music and never uses the net had heard her tunes. I would blame her record company for taking so damn long to release the album over downloads for low sales though.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
gumdrops said:
well, the record's still fantastic to my ears, she's still fantastic to my eyes (ha), but yeah, shes definitely not from road (i dont think shes pretending to be from 'the street' really though - just listen to that accent! - and i dont much care if she fits into the paradigm for 'street authenticity' or not). maybe she has lived in a mud hut back in sri lanka, who knows. either way, i just found her crass 'sell' of it too redolent of many posh kids who go abroad to slum it in the 'third world' for a year, only to come straight back to their wonderful houses in the home counties and tell everyone so proudly about how they 'roughed it'.

Yeh, well, this discussion has been endlessly had... but it was pretty clear from the interview on the Mercury show that the obsession was hers... it was she who wanted to insist, repeatedly, that she'd lived in a mud hut and that she'd lived in a council flat... in an accent that varied from hyper-posh to her imitation of street ---

hint

party record with a siren
dsp13 said:
re: mia. I don't know much about her except she makes good original pop music (who produces her tracks anyway???)... find the 3,000 units thing pretty far fetched though...

Think maybe it's 3,000 in the UK if that figure relates to anything. As you say, sales elsewhere in the world will be strong.

Production on the album is from various sources - Richard X, Diplo, Brucker and Byrne (who are connected to the Solid Groove / Switch camp, I think), Cavemen (Pulp's Steve Mackay and someone else). The one thing that bugs me about the hype around the album is this idea that's often pushed about the whole thing being produced by MIA herself on a Groovebox.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
I can't even bring myself to read that interview... infact I avoid reading alot of interviews with people unless i know for a fact they're not gonna say some stupid shit that's gonna make me hate them... anyone else had that experience where you've been completely turned off the music of someone u previously respected and admired or at least enjoyed sonically because of non-musical shit? Last time for me was watching el-p's much maligned fighting with the crowd (who i personally agreed with when they (in other words) told him to stop his psuedo-political whining and play some fucking music) on the "REVENGE OF THE ROBOTS" dvd I'd just paid $60 australian for... admittedly it was around the time def jux's output turned to unlistenable crap, but it really put me off his music for a while... not to mention made me want my $ back. It's a weird issue, the whole "idolisation / pedestal" process that happens with music sometimes... I don't know, I'm nearly thirty but maybe it took meeting Patric Catani a couple of years ago, who at various points in my life I would have killed to trade places with, and realising that, yes... he is just some guy, who is kind of interesting, but not as interesting as most of my friends, who happens to make some really good music, to finally get over that uber-artist fan-boy shit. Same thing with aphex twin and i'm sure somebody here can relate... yes he's made some amazing music but he's not worthy of that idol worship bullshit... someone on here recently made a statement to the effect that it doesn't really matter what these people say, it's about the music, innit... i agree but much to my dismay it's not always that easy... why?

mms

sometimes
its steve mackey frpm pulp and one of the guys from fat truckers - ross or ben that mia's productions who arethe cavemen.
they did a wicked thing called sex club by 'the lovers' which had a french singer bringing on the idea of turning a club into a dirty den of vice -something i thoroughly approve of . they also did some strange 2 step experiments a few years back under the name earth.

the thing about mia only selling 3,000 bollocks - she probably does that per week since being nominated , probably less since then when she talked. I'd add another 0 to that figure. i can say this as i've seen the effect in nominations on another mercury nominated band, it does help alot.

Last edited:

tom pr

Last time for me was watching el-p's much maligned fighting with the crowd (who i personally agreed with when they (in other words) told him to stop his psuedo-political whining and play some fucking music) on the "REVENGE OF THE ROBOTS" dvd I'd just paid $60 australian for... admittedly it was around the time def jux's output turned to unlistenable crap, but it really put me off his music for a while... not to mention made me want my $ back.
I caught him and Cage @ 97 feet east in hackney recently- same deal, El-P giving it all his redundant Bush-chatter between songs, and after waiting for hours for them to come on as well, with no support! At least Cage was on form that night..

Sophie Sticklebrick

nocturnal emissions
Antony's press officer told me that it was bollocks about MIA storming off - she had apparently just been having a really nice chat with Antony before the announcements were made and she was just waiting for the announcement before heading off with her mum to the after-party that XL (her label) had organised for her. He said he was more shocked by the press's misreporting of that than anything else.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the thing about mia selling 3000 copies is not bollocks at all. it's straight from the mouth of someone who is in a position to know the *real* figures on this record. i trust the source as they have no reason to lie. i'm totally willing to believe her sales have risen since the noms and especially since the broadcast of the awards. remember, dizzee hadn't exactlt set the world alight until the mercury.

ps: gumdrops sorry for bring snappy, i thought you were saying something else entirely and that the old done-to-death arguments about racism etc were going to resurface and i really couldn't handle the thought of it. my bad.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
well she was higher profile than antony and co who sold 700 copies the week b4 the awards .
he's sold over 850 percent more according to the latest music week figures - hence i don't believe what dave got told - no disrespect to him .
she must have been doing more b4 , and over the month or so the awards were announced her profile has gone up loads .