John Eden and Paul Meme on Radio Lancashire

D

droid

As the 'official' comments seem to have been delayed :D - thought Id chip in with some hastily compiled thoughts on the mix...

2stepfan said:
1. Delroy Wilson. Keep on Trying. Music Lab
2. Carlton Livingstone. You Make Your Mistake. Black Joy
3. Lone Ranger. Collie Dub. Black Joy
4. Yellowman. Soldier Take Over. Sonic Sounds
5. Welton Irie. Army Life. Pressure Sounds
6. King Kong. Don't Touch My Boops. Unity Sounds
7. Admiral Bailey and Chaka Demus. One Scotch. Unity Sounds

Starts off nice and chilled - what's the name of the riddim that the Yellowman is on again? And Im suprised at no 'Boops' - Im always mixin that with the King Kong.

Never heard the Bailey and Demus piece before. Its great..

8. Shabba Rankin. Roots and Cultue. 1989. Digital B
9. Pinchers. Bandolero. 1991. Jammy$ Records
10. Frankie Paul. Tu Shung Peng. Greensleeves

Kind of a 'greatest hits' thing going on here... ;)

11. Frisco Kid. It's OK. Jammy$ Records
12. Trevor Sparks. Bye Bye Love. Jammy$ Records
13. Admiral Bailey. No Wey Better Than Yard. 1988. Live & Love

Thats a weird coincidence. Ive just recently finished a mix with a bunch of tunes from this riddim on it. Its called (as Im sure you know) 'bye bye love'/'Chinatown' . Theres a super cheesy Dean Fraser instrumental on it called 'Dean in chinatown', plus some good Shabba and Frankie Paul. All the cuts I have are from Jammys/88 - is that Frisco Kid from the same year? If so that must be one of his first releases...

14. Pinchers. Agony. Live & Love
15. Admiral Bailey. Big Belly Man. 1987. Live & Love

Yowch! Thats a killer riddim. Theres some great tunes on it... all the 'man' tunes: 'Fat Belly man'/'Slim belly man'/'This old man' - plus a load of hi-tech cuts like 'computer in dub'/'synthesiser voice'/'Computer Seh So'... Id kill for a full selection of this on 7..

17. Cobra. Yush. 1991. Penthouse
18. Cutty Ranks. Dominate. Penthouse

Im lovin this. Great riddim. (its called 'Yush' as well innit?) Got a few tunes on this scattered around various compilations... Tune called 'Mandela come' by Papa san is the only one I can think of at the mo. Cutty Ranks is outstanding on 'dominate'.

19. Killamanmachine. Amen. Clash
20. Bong Ra. 666MPH (FFF vs Dionysos Remix). Supertracks Records
21. LFO Demon. Utterly Wipeout (Rave for Communism). 2003. Sprengstoff
22. Prince Jammy. Jammin for Survival (Grievous Angel's Jammin' on Distortion Mix). 1979 / 2005. Attack / Morwell Esq?
23. Initial T. Tricks and Trade. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music
24. Turbulence. Notorious. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music

Whilst I like some of the tunes here - Im not entirely convinced how well they work with the rest of the set... and Im certainly not convinced about the wild claims currently being bandied about that LFO Demon track :p . Im far from being a purist - cross genre mixing with reggae/ragga is all good afaic - but I think maybe my opinion has been coloured a bit by my own experiences with mixing ragga/breakcore/drill+bass...

How did the 'on the wire' heads react to this deviation from the gospel of reggae purity?