Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain

matt b

Indexing all opinion
mms said:
sort of like that stuff - it's really like heavy metal has alchemically turned into the brain and methods of industrial .

some is good and some is awful- seems like a fashionable bandwagon at the moment (alongside isis rip-offs), which puts me off.

huffafc

Mumler
yes men's recovery project is sam mcpheeters. great stuff too, kind of like eerily cogent writings of a schizophrenic with decrepit synth tunes in the back ground.

also, the new khanate record is soul destroying. I have to give them my vote for top of the doom metal heep, even above sunn o)), although I think they are doing very different things. as I think I said somewhere else on dissensus sunn o)) can almost be relaxing.

whereas khanate is one of those band that, to my ears, doesn't just signify 'scary' like many black metal bands. they actually produce fear and terror.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
huffafc said:
yes men's recovery project is sam mcpheeters. great stuff too, kind of like eerily cogent writings of a schizophrenic with decrepit synth tunes in the back ground.

or men laughing and urinating etc.

to paraphrase "all music is shit to god, he thinks we're a bunch of crying babies"

been listening to 'wonderful rainbow' lately (guess the lp before hypermagic mountain). curious about the whole providence scene after recently talking to jessica rylan (can't, works/tours with prurient, emil beaulieau, kites) .

she argued that noise went from uk-japan-us, deacade by decade (80s, 90s, 00s)....and that we were just about due for a folk-noise explosion. yay!

this lightning bolt record is energetic noise-prog...it's deeply addictive in the way that noise repeated becomes...like us maple in that respect....the shouty bits remind me of the boggs (brooklyn psychotic-folk, now defunct), and the guitar solos like ozric tentacles...it's ace...

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
Folk noise explosion? Oh geez.

Yeah, I think this might be their greatest. I'm not sure. I like the experimentation near the end. I can't wait for Frenzy now.

daren

infinite thought said:
she argued that noise went from uk-japan-us, deacade by decade (80s, 90s, 00s)....and that we were just about due for a folk-noise explosion. yay!

We're getting closer to that in the US. A really good recent release of the whole weird-folk-noise style is the By the Fruits You Shall Know The Roots 3xLP on Time-Lag that's super sold out.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
infinite thought said:
been listening to 'wonderful rainbow' lately (guess the lp before hypermagic mountain). curious about the whole providence scene after recently talking to jessica rylan (can't, works/tours with prurient, emil beaulieau, kites) .

this lightning bolt record is energetic noise-prog...it's deeply addictive in the way that noise repeated becomes...like us maple in that respect....the shouty bits remind me of the boggs (brooklyn psychotic-folk, now defunct), and the guitar solos like ozric tentacles...it's ace...
What do you want to know about the Providence? Surely you know about Paper Rad. If not, check out the music videos on there, and check out the Pick A Winner DVD aslo, even though that isn't stricly Providence. Though the whole scene has really gone downhill lately, I don't even think it really exists that much anymore.

daren

seahorsegenius said:
What do you want to know about the Providence? Surely you know about Paper Rad. If not, check out the music videos on there, and check out the Pick A Winner DVD aslo, even though that isn't stricly Providence. Though the whole scene has really gone downhill lately, I don't even think it really exists that much anymore.

The Providence scene is getting weaker since the whole Ft. Thunder crowd decentralized itself after the fall of it. This doesn't mean that noise in the US is going down though. There's still a large noise scene in California and Michigan. If you meant it's going downhill in quality releases, that's a whole other issue.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
And, I'm sorry, but I don't get the whole metal thing attatched to LB. Is it the shredding (see: Bizzaro Zarro Land)? Or is there something else I'm missing? I always linked them to early Boredoms, and maybe Boredoms were inspired by metal, and of course LB by early Boredoms. Then again who doesn't owe something to them?

:mad: