GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
One of the "I'm an aaaartist innit?" variety

so i just interviewed kano. like an hour ago. and talking of the above, he has a track on his album collaborating with damon albarn. i was a bit too shellshocked by this news to ask much about it (waste hack skills i know).. did we already know this????

also i told him about the mike skinner 'gangsters/geezers' thing (logan yr taking the piss surely???), and he pissed himself laughing, then said it was entirely possible.

mos dan

fact music
Care to fill me in?

logan told an anecdote on rwd that mike skinner was considering signing wiley to 'the beats' (circa da second phaze i think) but asked him to change the hook and title of 'gangsters' to 'geezers'.

afaik logan has not yet said whether he was joking. i don't really care, i think it's a hilarious idea either way: i mean can you imagine him singing the hook?? looool

gumdrops

geezers geezers... yeah i can hear that now.

dont really see what the point of guys like kano working with albarn is. i mean, what 30 something is really going to care about kano beyond that one track with damon albarn?? i know the thinking is that it will attract more fans and cross the artist over etc but albarn is a weird choice. unless 679 want OMM readers to buy his album that is. it depends on what sort of track it is of cours, whether its gorillaz ish or more like the good bad and the queen but isnt there someone else more suited that could do something with kano? ill reserve judgement til i hear it, but these kinds of rock rap (vocal as opposed to sonic) collabos are usually quite terrible.

i would say fuck the rock audience who dont like urrrrrban music unless its catered blatantly toward them but hopefully it will get the results kano and the label want.

viktorvaughn

re Re-Development, i think the first one beats it hands down, although i have to admit i havent listened to the second one properly yet, the first one was amazing though, had that in my cd player for aaaaaages,

the only thing i can cook is crack
so if i invite you round for dinner
you'll be eating with my regular cats

sick

I didn't even realise there was another one out there, need to fix up!:eek:

What's it called? I love his stumbling ODB style MCing.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It was quite widely known he was working with Damon Albarn. Youshould have spoke to me for a full briefing before you went for the interview Dan.

And yes. No word of a lie. Wiley told me that story with a completely straight face.

you should definately check out the d.e.velopment mixtape - much better i reckon

as for the damon albarn track, its not too bad - not as bad as i thought it could be, albarn comes along with his standard whining/disinterested singing style, and kano flows in between. its got the socio-politically conscious edge (kidz wiv gunz?) to help the omm/guardian readers contextualize the Street aspect a bit more - but its not too bad
lickel teaser - http://www.mediafire.com/?1mfyntsl0eb

lambrini and alize
love it

the mixtape isnt bad a few good tracks, that vybz one is just mental!!!!!!
layer cake, the come up, mr me too, (those strawberry daiquiri bars are shower) are all quite good although he comes across a bit preachy on some of the tracks which is a bit annoying, a pale smugness

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Some of those Skepta lyrics on Logan's show are just wicked.

"I say to the bouncer, I came with these lot / ten men deep, all looking like they came from the Boy Better Know T shop / I'm hot like a tea pot"

And that line about making so many beats that on his laptop that it's like Groundhog Day. Great stuff, loads of laughs.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
that last show you did is fucking great Logan, you've appropriated Westwood's best characteristics (and I mean that as a compliment, and as an age old Westwood listener, whatever you might think of that - I mean his pacing, his excitement and his enthuisasm, I hope you get on with him ) and made it into a totally UK show, and this week it fuckin worked m8, big up yourself and all involved.

bruno

est malade
i agree. great show, great tunes. and top 3 selected has to be a pinnacle for rapid, just fucking massive.

mos dan

fact music
skepta's still the don for me. watch this space for a big interview coming soooooon....

him and jme were getting totally mobbed at 93f.e. the other week, btw, which i suppose is just standard procedure these days.

one of the most interesting things about kano yesterday was that he hadn't heard of stageshow riddim (indicative of how much he keeps tabs on the grime scene, perhaps?). esp since he's been listening to 'mostly dancehall'. i told him to check it out anyway, he really liked the sound of it when i described it.

thanks for the albarn collab clip! i still think kano's got a great flow, really liking the mixtape.

RAISED BY WOLVES

Logan,

From here in the NYC, that show was big. Bumped part on at home last night, and part two on the G train to work this morning.

SKEPTA=GRIME

Simple as that...

His commentary on and off mic is something more people in the scene need to aspire to.

A couple huge tunes during the first hour too. Top 3 selected remix is fucked. Even wretch, whose delivery reminds me of my 5th grade teacher, come allright, and everone else is in top form.

Regardless of what the fuck The Fader or vice want to cover stateside, I always keep my eyes and ears on your show.

Easy.