GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I know what you mean. Plastician was touching on that a while ago, saying grime producers keep to a pretty linear format to their songs.

Personally I think that this is interesting considering Plastician has left grime to play incredibly boring and linear dubstep.

I saw him at DMZ and he was absolutely shit.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
8 bar loops made Grime what it is in the first place. I couldn't give a fuck about edits or carefully crafted build ups and break downs.

I just want it to do a job on a set.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
8 bar loops made Grime what it is in the first place. I couldn't give a fuck about edits or carefully crafted build ups and break downs.

I completely agree with this, but I don't think you can knock guys for trying something new.

gumdrops

i really like 'smokin ban'. yeah its blatant gun talk but he does it well. the hook reminds me of some of footsies bars.

what beat is this? completely mental!!!!
sounds like a cross between rapid, joker, and the track footsie built for dizzee's new album (that last one)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kus2zv

griminal holds it down very well too

i think the thing to keep in mind with grime beats is that they arent made as much as pieces of music to exist in isolation - they are part of a mix, they are meant to be vocalled, they are meant to hype the crowd, then move on. personally i think beat making in the capital still smacks anywhere - the bristol stuff is great but its not raw enough, i think it presents an excellent opportunity for some sort of dubstep/grime fusion (joker etc) - but theres plenty of producers in london still killing it man. rapid is consistantly bringing stuff out, and the younger generation of producers have done great stuff, bless beats, maniac, dva etc... - i think its cos there arent as many grime dj shows anymore that we dont hear all the new shit, only spyro,vectra,spooky,furious,tubby (when hes playing his own beats) holding it down for the instrumental camp - most other sets (of the precious few) are mc led or vocals led

gumdrops

spooky, rapid, these guys are still doing really good things (although i think rapid has finally rinsed the underground template at this point) when i do actually hear their stuff - its just very hard to get hold of. hearing someones tracks on myspace as the only way to hear it isnt cutting it for me.

As above. Grime needs a lot more vinyl, or even fuckin CD e.ps, mp3 downloads whatever. I'd pay for a lot of instrumentals that I just can't get. (UTZ 128s or poor loops don't cut it).

viktorvaughn

Who's seen this then? I'm really hoping this leads to definitive lists of stuff like Ruff Sqwad 12'' releases...

There has been a bit of a movement on RWD to write a load of Wikipedia pages, loads of people seem to have been getting involved which I think is brilliant as it's the biggest pool of Grime knowledge in the world surely.

Wouldn't hold out for list of releases with cat numbers and all, discogs is still the best bet for that, incomplete as it is.

There has been a bit of a movement on RWD to write a load of Wikipedia pages, loads of people seem to have been getting involved which I think is brilliant as it's the biggest pool of Grime knowledge in the world surely.

Wouldn't hold out for list of releases with cat numbers and all, discogs is still the best bet for that, incomplete as it is.

Yeah, I've been trying to help with this when work allows; there's a lot of empty pages, though; it's a big task. I'm sure there are some dissensus people with a lot of knowledge that could help as well..

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
As above. Grime needs a lot more vinyl, or even fuckin CD e.ps, mp3 downloads whatever. I'd pay for a lot of instrumentals that I just can't get. (UTZ 128s or poor loops don't cut it).

I think you're on the mark with the second point. The best thing grime artists can do is start selling their music as high quality mp3s (perhaps through UK Record Shop). All grime DJs are using CDJs anyway and grime is not like dubstep - its growth is spread digitally much faster than it is spread on vinyl.

mos dan

fact music
my pc died recently and i lost a LOT of music (let's not even talk about it eh? sigh), anyway i lost a lot of mixes so i'm trying to slowly restore my collection to what it once was... starting with logan's adamantium mixes page.. you know the one i mean, the one with various mixes old and new on.. anyone? logan?

I don't rate Plastician that much

Personally I think that this is interesting considering Plastician has left grime to play incredibly boring and linear dubstep.

I saw him at DMZ and he was absolutely shit.

so...yeah lol

I knew you would come with this lol so yes yes yes but there comes a time when...that's not good enough man. a lot of the scenes beats are a bit s*** frankly except for a few imo. also 2 8 bar switches for 4 minutes on a vinyl for £6 - 7 is no fun too. as a (half aborted) former DJ I can testify to that

I completely agree with this, but I don't think you can knock guys for trying something new.

especially when it happens to be better :D

i think the thing to keep in mind with grime beats is that they arent made as much as pieces of music to exist in isolation - they are part of a mix, they are meant to be vocalled, they are meant to hype the crowd, then move on

says who? what raves lol? if you mean its supposed to be strictly like this then that's musical stagnation/lack of ideas. the current lack of ideas has resulted in this pseudo rap/still 8 bar looping (which is no bad thing sometimes)

personally i think beat making in the capital still smacks anywhere - the bristol stuff is great but its not raw enough, i think it presents an excellent opportunity for some sort of dubstep/grime fusion (joker etc) - but theres plenty of producers in london still killing it man. rapid is consistantly bringing stuff out, and the younger generation of producers have done great stuff, bless beats, maniac, dva etc... - i think its cos there arent as many grime dj shows anymore that we dont hear all the new shit, only spyro,vectra,spooky,furious,tubby (when hes playing his own beats) holding it down for the instrumental camp - most other sets (of the precious few) are mc led or vocals led

fair enough. I just hear these guys' stuff and it doesn't match up to this new s*** but that's just me. if anything shouldn't the core of the activity be leading the progression? obv this isn't a hard and fast rule. lol at not raw enough though

I keep saying this every 15 pages or so lol but it falls on deaf fingers. I don't think there's any excuse for not doing paid d/l's even if they don't sell in maaaad amounts

anyway how was Ruff Sqwad? and I was told in an email this morning that Terror Danjah has a launch party on the 5th Nov at Bar Rumba for Hardrive vol 1. my boy told me but considering he was wrong about Skepta's launch party...

gabriel

The Heatwave
but i know what you mean, i got loads of friends who went to acland burghley/La Swap in kentish town area and they all speak EXACTLY the same!

LOL yeah - the famous north london middle class 'rude boy' accent :)

ruff sqwad at cargo tomorrow, woo! followed by the dirty canvas skepta album launch and then a rinse fm night.. it's looking like a promising few weeks for grime nights!

riko dan bashment/grime PA at The Pool round the corner from Cargo the same night as the skepta launch party too, free entry and riko's on before skepta & co take to the stage...

There won't be many up recently because the grime ban's only just been lifted, there should be the sets from Friday & Saturday up in the next day or two- Slew Dem, Vectra etc. 12th, 13th; they're only upto the 11th at the moment.