GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
Petridis on the Wiley album:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/dec/05/wiley-see-clear-now

Most annoying section:

A public that persisted in buying millions of albums by Snow Patrol and James Blunt proved curiously resistant to music so startlingly innovative and abrasive it occasionally resembled community support officers trying to break up a fight in a Dalston kebab shop.

god i know. grrr. i bet he lives in st john's wood or some shit as well. pretty inevitable he would fall for the clearly bonkers idea that this album is what wiley *wants* to make, rather than simply a means to an end - and one he was completely disillusioned with from day one.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
god i know. grrr. i bet he lives in st john's wood or some shit as well.

He'd lived in Brighton for quite some time i believe.

I think he makes some informed points in this review (most grime albums/mixtapes are patchy) and some totally ill informed (that dizzee's albums havent sold a lot) but this is the most spectacularly offensive bit...

"And as MC Tunes and Derek B would tell you - if you could find out which branch of Halford's they're currently working in"

perhaps MC Tunes and Derek B wouldnt be working in "Halfords" if the white middle class-dominated music press weren't so inpenetrable and biased towards white middle class indie bands with PRs...

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Most annoying section:

A public that persisted in buying millions of albums by Snow Patrol and James Blunt proved curiously resistant to music so startlingly innovative and abrasive it occasionally resembled community support officers trying to break up a fight in a Dalston kebab shop.

I liked the review and thought that quote was funny. The points about making pop singles then struggling to figure out how to back them up are surely well made.

I have both the MC Tunes and Derek B albums, and can probably recite most of Bad Young Brother at a push. But it's not Alex Petridis' fault they aren't famous any more, or the press's fault in general. I think we overestimate the power of the music press. Petridis himself wrote this article about Clubland, music that gets less mainstream exposure than Grime ((even Radio 1 won't touch it), and sells more albums.

maniac and snoopy on remand

A blog post on Germz myspace doesn't paint a flattering picture of Maniac's role in this, nor does the hearsay and conjecture floating about at the moment. They're saying Maniac gave Snoopy up to the police. Whether that's true or not I don't know, or whether there should even be this post innit.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dont know the ins and outs of this case but this 'no snitch' culture in general is bullshit. i respect the rights of the grime lot do do things their own way but the 'no snitching' policy just perpetuates crime and violence.

Algierstwin

and anyone know who's running the dirty canvas calendars? Id quite like to get a couple but need to know postage details etc.

basically how efficient the process is.

i dont know the ins and outs of this case but this 'no snitch' culture in general is bullshit. i respect the rights of the grime lot do do things their own way but the 'no snitching' policy just perpetuates crime and violence.

Depends really, for me. If it's something that a few people are involved and you're buying your way out of it by grassing up the rest of them, nah you're a snitch.
Everything else, a grey area for me tbh.

I don't know what this case is about.

Simon78

Spyro was so on point down FWD last night.

He played a Maniac tune with the "Shut your mouth" sample in it but it wasn't Thug, it was very big. It was really loud in there when he was on, the bass was criminal. He nearly blew my eardrums with top 3 selected though. I'm going to get some earplugs for next time I think, it was too much.

Loads of new beats, classics and the usual rapid mixing. Easily the top grime DJ.

I had to buy a copy of Buddha Finger today after hearing it again last night, it just sounded so good!

N-Type was good but the mixer was knackered and kept buzzing so I went in the bar to save my ears. JJ's set on Rinse was good to have on for the bus ride home as well. Here's the set if anyone wants it http://www.grimeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16448

@ Elijah, do you know what the Maniac beat used for Rollin is called? (probably Rollin:)) I need that to come out as an instrumental. Good interview with Logan.

Simon78

haha cheers. rolling instrumental will hopefully be on the next maniac ep coming out on earth 616 in jan.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Logan is going to be mad busy keeping up with that release schedule.

Hopefully Dubplate.net will get some more of his beats to sell as well. Thug gets a wheel every time it comes on my ipod. That should have got a vinyl release I think, I'm sure some Dubstep DJ's would play that as well?

Simon78

That might have been "salt fish" from the Earth 616 sampler Logan Sama put out

Nah, I've got that I'm sure it was something else. I think he might be using it as a signature sample at the moment?

Does Slimzee every get booked for FWD? the last time I saw play him there was for his Birthday set with Riko on the Mic. That was a few years ago though. An old school Slimzee set would kill it down there I think.

mos dan

fact music
Nah, I've got that I'm sure it was something else. I think he might be using it as a signature sample at the moment?

Does Slimzee every get booked for FWD? the last time I saw play him there was for his Birthday set with Riko on the Mic. That was a few years ago though. An old school Slimzee set would kill it down there I think.

he played the first ever sunday fwd a few months back, d double on mic. that was pretty special. was gutted to miss spy on sunday, out of my hands alas - thanks for the summary of his set.

logan dropping some quality bits tonight - several of which seem to feature frisco. jammer in the studio shortly too..

powerpill

hes playing at fwd on nye

Simon78

he played the first ever sunday fwd a few months back, d double on mic. that was pretty special. was gutted to miss spy on sunday, out of my hands alas - thanks for the summary of his set.

logan dropping some quality bits tonight - several of which seem to feature frisco. jammer in the studio shortly too..

Wow, Gutted I missed that. I can't stop listening to this mix, big up grime tapes.

22/08/04, Slimzee on Rinse
http://sharebee.com/dd5019ad
One of the sunday afternoon shows. Just over 70 minutes, quality's really good.

Yeah, I am locked to Logan. Jammer is putting the work in, he was on Rinse last night as well. I am a big fan off that Leave Me Alone tune.