GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
we were driving home last night so missed it but the prospect of elijah and skilliam showing up with all their old school grime vinyl then trim and even scratchy MCing... well, did they have the show of their lives last night or what?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
What did everyone here think of Ghetto's latest offering? I'm only on my second listen, but I think it might be his worst to date. My problem with Ghetto is that for all his technical proficiency when it comes to flows, he seems to be really unusually stupid. A kind of angrier Mos Def. I'm not saying you've gotta be Yeats to be an MC, but if you're going to wink and nudge at everyone everytime you drop a simile or metaphor, you might have to try a little harder than "I'm hard like a penny" or the now-classic, "I'm from a place where deaths are fatal."

Also it's a shame that at the beginning of the album he suggests that we were fools to think he was just a war MC and then the best two tracks on the album (by far) end up being "Destruction of the Eiffel Tower" and "All Black Winter".

i'm a total ghetto addict and i'm a bit let down by this. after a few listens there just isn't enough hype/angry stuff, which is what he excels at. i really like his honesty though, his fearless 'freedom of speech' to explain how his, *ahem* 'mind works' i guess.

Simon78

we were driving home last night so missed it but the prospect of elijah and skilliam showing up with all their old school grime vinyl then trim and even scratchy MCing... well, did they have the show of their lives last night or what?

It was great, I stayed up until 3 listening and was late for work this morning.

Mainly new beats got played. I think Trim was really into some of them and was asking for a CD. Scratchy was really good as well.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i'm a total ghetto addict and i'm a bit let down by this. after a few listens there just isn't enough hype/angry stuff, which is what he excels at. i really like his honesty though, his fearless 'freedom of speech' to explain how his, *ahem* 'mind works' i guess.

A lot more roap-rap styled tracks than I thought there'd be as well. I'm not sure about Ghetto's "honesty". He's always seemed a bit insecure to me, always on this permanent hype ting (but a serious one, much more earnest than the tongue-in-cheek aggression of, say, Tempa T or Badness). In fact, the Movement are kind of a squad of chronic overcompensaters: Scorcher's hopeless American Gangster projections, Wretch and Devlin's embarassing "I'm too metaphorical for you blud" attempts at wordplay, etc.

When I think of honesty in grime I think of people like Wiley, JME and D Double E. Their styles and personalities are so unique and eccentric and campy; they seem to embrace the ways they are different from their peers. I mean, maybe Ghetto is how he says he is, but even if he is, it doesn't really make him interesting, yaknow?

And the way he gets so emotional when people challenge his masculinity! Remember the Bashy "you got raped in jail" incident? That was just uncomfortable.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
A lot more roap-rap styled tracks than I thought there'd be as well. I'm not sure about Ghetto's "honesty". He's always seemed a bit insecure to me, always on this permanent hype ting (but a serious one, much more earnest than the tongue-in-cheek aggression of, say, Tempa T or Badness). In fact, the Movement are kind of a squad of chronic overcompensaters: Scorcher's hopeless American Gangster projections, Wretch and Devlin's embarassing "I'm too metaphorical for you blud" attempts at wordplay, etc.

When I think of honesty in grime I think of people like Wiley, JME and D Double E. Their styles and personalities are so unique and eccentric and campy; they seem to embrace the ways they are different from their peers. I mean, maybe Ghetto is how he says he is, but even if he is, it doesn't really make him interesting, yaknow?

And the way he gets so emotional when people challenge his masculinity! Remember the Bashy "you got raped in jail" incident? That was just uncomfortable.

yeah agree with all of that.

ghetto = 2nd most over-rated MC after goodz.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the Movement are kind of a squad of chronic overcompensaters: Scorcher's hopeless American Gangster projections, Wretch and Devlin's embarassing "I'm too metaphorical for you blud" attempts at wordplay, etc.

Scorcher's American stuff is terrible, Devlin is at best C-list but Wretch I really like: the Wretch v Ghetto set on Logan last year was my favourite, i come back to it time and again. Wretch clever and funny, not quite on Trim's level of clever and funny but better than 90% of other MCs and at least he isn't yet another advocate of the 'nah blad I AM harder than everyone' mentality. I even played a Chipmunk track on radio last night because of Wretch... I think he forced Chippy to up his game on it.

Wretch 32 is fucking rubbish; no charm, "swagger" obsession, useless allegedly "deep" bars, one of the worst mixtapes I've ever bought. Nah.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Wretch 32 is fucking rubbish; no charm, "swagger" obsession, useless allegedly "deep" bars, one of the worst mixtapes I've ever bought. Nah.

Basically, yeah. If Devlin is C-list then Wretch is F-list at best. In his whole career he has put out virtually nothing of any value at all, but still somehow goes on like he's some Jay-Z type figure, throwing freshly bought Louis Vuitton scarfs in the bin on youtube (definitely not purchased with music money, though he'd have you think otherwise). He is a master charlatan, and it irks me there are still some people who are buying into his schtick. Few other MCs have got away with what Wretch 32 has, given his lack of work rate or real contribution outside of his affilation with Ghetto.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Actually come to think of it I actually can't think of a single other MC who has managed to work his image so well that he has eluded the notoriously fickle critical eye of grimeforum for so long and so consistently.

I'd say Goodz, but Goodz put out Axiom EP which is now pretty much a grime classic, and his clash with Wiley is the stuff of legend. Wretch 32's trophy cabinet is all smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
haha.. sick boy's on fire today..

yeah, fuck wretch 32. so shit.

(although he did have one good bar about the river lea. still. he's shit)

Advice-Wiley-went-to-Miami-and-saw-danny-glover.jpg