GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

mobos problem is that it wants to celebrate black music but also wants to have big mainstream visibility so has to compromise its awards, nominees, presenters etc. its never struck a good balance. mobos are too worried about the average pop fan. (obv this is impossible in 2011 as everyone is making pop, unless youre going to have categories for things like grime, funky, etc). but nominating people like adele and jessie j basically is taking the piss. the fact they change the categories every year is weird, but you know something is wrong when adele and omar get listed in the 'best gospel act' category lol. the award categories they have need a rework really. i am surprised so many nominees this year are white but then so many of the big name acts doing some sort of black music these days *are* white, so mobos just reflects whats happening in the industry really. they should do more to reflect whats not mainstream black music which is what theyve never done all that well really.

Last edited:
Footsie's 'Do You Get Me Boss?' is OUT TODAY! Purchase from iTunes: http://itun.es/iB624y
Amazon:
51Cj7L2Ot6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

petergunn

plywood violin
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BD6SsBy_Hh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

new roachie mixtape is pretty good... i admit, i had totally written him off a few years ago, when he came out of jail and had lost that energetic flow, but he really does seem to be back...

not sure how i feel about the prodigy sample, tho...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
mobos problem is that it wants to celebrate black music but also wants to have big mainstream visibility so has to compromise its awards, nominees, presenters etc. its never struck a good balance. mobos are too worried about the average pop fan.

I think the MOBOs problem pure and simple is in it's name. 1Xtra's music policy is broadly in line with that of the MOBOs but nobody queries what should be inside and outside of its music policy boundaries - and most people know what kind of music 1Xtra represents.

gumdrops

the name is just a cop out, same as the awards. wants to pussyfoot around its whole concept, rather than just come out and say it flat out. they thought they were being smart or diplomatic even, trying not to offend anyone. some people are still weird when you say 'black music', hence why we have the term 'urban music'.

Esp

the name is just a cop out, same as the awards. wants to pussyfoot around its whole concept, rather than just come out and say it flat out. they thought they were being smart or diplomatic even, trying not to offend anyone. some people are still weird when you say 'black music', hence why we have the term 'urban music'.

The 'black origin' concept was always a jarring one. Like what point in the history of black music am I supposed to pinpoint as the origin of 'NDubz FEAT. Mr Hudson – Playing with Fire'?

gumdrops

that would b the point where they bring in a token 'music of white origin' award :p

but yeah, i dont know. the whole thing is messy. but then 1xtra gets to play things like ndubz as 'black music' so i dont know. its very tricky in 2011. its not like 1974 where theres an easier distinction to make.