GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Loving Davichie's Dirty Canvas 3 EP too - particularly tracks 2 and 4....and also Maihem's 'get loose'

3underscore

gumdrops said:
here's audio of that young.dot EP for anyone interested. doesnt sound quite as momentous as i thought it might over the PC speakers at least, but the first and last tracks sound great (and probably will sound better off vinyl).
http://www.blackmarket.co.uk/store/young/dotyoung/dot/ep/(promo)

Haha - on seeing this I remember deciding not to pick it up! Found the drum sounds came over really cheap sounding. No doubt that it is interesting, just that buying some VST plugins might help IMHO!

S

simon silverdollar

Blackdown said:
what are the most overtly experimental grime tunes of all time?
(not including Wiley's 'Eskimo (original)' and Dizzee's 'I Luv U').

'

that new chunky bizzle track, 'reaching out for yr love' is pretty bonkers- it hasn't really got a beat and has lots of slowed down groans in it.

S

simon silverdollar

anyone else finding it v difficult to pick up Rinse clearly at the moment?

hope it's not just that my radio's fucked...

gumdrops

dunno about on normal FM, but i havent been able to listen to rinse on my computer for ages...

ive been listening to fair amount of wiley tunes as of late, and have been thinking that he is best when he doesnt get too introverted/navel-gazing and doesnt feel he needs to be so 'honest'. i dont think its a good look for him. when he decides to get all confessional, its almost as bad as when you hear a no-name UK hip hop rapper talking about all their strangely well worn tales of hardships, struggles and pain and blah blah blah when unfortunately, you dont actually care about any of it.

micmack

My Little Pony
gumdrops said:
dunno about on normal FM, but i havent been able to listen to rinse on my computer for ages...

ive been listening to fair amount of wiley tunes as of late, and have been thinking that he is best when he doesnt get too introverted/navel-gazing and doesnt feel he needs to be so 'honest'. i dont think its a good look for him. when he decides to get all confessional, its almost as bad as when you hear a no-name UK hip hop rapper talking about all their strangely well worn tales of hardships, struggles and pain and blah blah blah when unfortunately, you dont actually care about any of it.

I actually enjoy Wiley's confessional stuff. The way he's coldly honest in an everyday and direct way ('together' is so brutaly direct). He reminds me a bit of Roots Manuva in that way.

gumdrops

i do enjoy some of it, i just find most MCs' heart to heart confessions where they talk at length about all the struggles and hardships in their life a bit too vague and familiar to really be moved. its like theres a pool of 'first person I-I-I confessional rap lyrics' floating out there which most artists borrow bits from all the time, rather than actually rapping about stuff specific to themselves. the 'introspective' track is a convention of it's own these days. ive got nothing against rappers/MCs laying themselves bare, its just when it sounds like theyre reading from their diary, it seems a bit adolescent (for lack of a better word).

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Only a few MCs can do the whole introspective thing.

I quite like Dog-z's stuff of that vein.

I don't know if it is cos I know him, but Wiley's stuiff like that is really moving.

C

captain easychord

i agree that wiley's introspective material is pretty moving. if anything because he's clearly made a large personal investment in this music, it can't help but resonate.

Immryr

simon silverdollar said:
that new chunky bizzle track, 'reaching out for yr love' is pretty bonkers- it hasn't really got a beat and has lots of slowed down groans in it.

you reckon you could rip that and post it up for us??

gumdrops

i think wiley's been saying that for ages - in that old interview on hyperdub, he says something similar. dizzee's said countless times that grime is 'the real uk hip hop', i read an interview with mr wong saying 'its the uk's version hip hop'. not sure if that or saying its 'a form of hip hop' amounts to the same as saying it IS hip hop though.

toasted

i gots a track id for all the pirate mans

somfing to do with biggaman .. maybe airs or something ?

intro goes "hold tight biggaman on this beat its so dumb"
every bar it goes "gangsta"

"earem scarem, somfing somfing GANSTA, somfing maximum sonfing GANGSTA, lyrics will make u sick like earem scarem"

C

captain easychord

toasted said:
i gots a track id for all the pirate mans

somfing to do with biggaman .. maybe airs or something ?

intro goes "hold tight biggaman on this beat its so dumb"
every bar it goes "gangsta"

"earem scarem, somfing somfing GANSTA, somfing maximum sonfing GANGSTA, lyrics will make u sick like earem scarem"

MC ears - "Chinney Chin" , off the jah mek the world 6 track EP from earlier this year.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
re: Wiley confessional lyrics, I just got Together today and that tune is deep. I definitely find his lyrics and the whole tone of that tune very moving. Wiley's lyric on 'You Aint Real' "I ain't sad but I sure ain't happy" pretty much hits it on the head for me a lot of days. It's true that any style of bad confessional art is worse than regular bad art, but I don't think in Wiley's case it applies.

re: is grime hiphop? I showed lord of the decks to sayyid and priest of airborn audio and I said 'this is grime' and they said 'this is hiphop, it's beats and rhymes'. You could also say hiphop is just dancehall with an american accent and different beats. Grime is the name for a style of beats and an accent and a culture around it, like crunk or dancehall or baile funk. It's definitely part of the same tree as hiphop, but I think ignoring the difference between the two is a loss.