GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
theatre and other 'arts' section rejects.

they're all fucking old men, FACT. it's ridiculous that under-40s make up such a significant proportion of the readerships of the guardian and independent, yet both of their music/arts editors were last young sometime in the nineteenth century. being over 40 is of course not a crime, but their prejudices lead them to say things like:

"i really resent having to run anything on grime" - michael hann, guardian film&music editor; he proceeded to say "but since the nme have gone big on grindie i suppose we'd better do something", which led to sophie heawood's half-arsed piece.

crazy titch murder story and grindie nonsense aside, when was the last time you remember reading anything in a broadsheet about grime? probably kano last year or something.. insane. some of us have gotta eat you know... :rolleyes:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Hattie Collins' work aside, most Guardian Arts music coverage is total MOR. I banged my head against that wall for years, only to be told things like "don't write for your geek mates."

I've always been of the view that a great writer can or should make a great act/genre sound inspiring, even if the act isn't already well known to the reader. Take the Julian Cope piece on metal earlier this year. I HATE heavy metal but that had me all excited and curious.

Instead the commissioning editors stick to safe middle of the road acts "because their readers have heard of them." If they took that line with issues in news journalism, they'd be a tabloid.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i've lost count of the amount of times i've read about boy george in the guardian and the times.
the fact that some washed up joke like him still gets multiple page spreads over fresh, new talent is an absolute crime. i'd understand them not covering grime if they were writing about other new and exciting things or bringing past esoteric gems to the fore again...but :mad: :mad: :mad:

may write them a letter...

what makes that game review even worse is that you could just replace his name and the tunes with another rappers and it w
ould make no difference.. its just a standard xerox rap review. "gangland overtones" "killer hooks" ppfft. it would not be out of place in smash hits.

loved that cope article too, reminds me a bit of the wire's "primer" spreads.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
loved that cope article too, reminds me a bit of the wire's "primer" spreads.

yes its good, not sure about comets on fire though,:) he's a journalist of sorts too though with his excellent head heritage site, very good reviews there too.
Journalists should be enthusiastically delivering ideas and new things to new audiences, they do everywhere else in every kind of sector, so why not music?

lots of potential crossover between metals avant and post garage music i'd think. esp the bass addiction.

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
haha true mms,,

i thought kodwo's statement in MBTtS is apt; "all today's journalism is nothing more than a giant inertia engine to put the brakes on breaks, a moronizer placing all thought on permanent pause, a futureshock absorber, forever shielding its readers from the future's cuts, tracks, scratches."

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i've lost count of the amount of times i've read about boy george in the guardian and the times.
the fact that some washed up joke like him still gets multiple page spreads over fresh, new talent is an absolute crime. i'd understand them not covering grime if they were writing about other new and exciting things or bringing past esoteric gems to the fore again...

OMM has a "new bands editor" which f**king says it all. i mean, what do the other 45 writers do, draw lots decide who gets the hasbeen dadrockers this week!?

elgato

I just dont know
lol at "bands" too

its an utter disgrace to be fair. come 20 years watch them scramble for the historical pieces on grime's social importance etc...

you would just hope for better given the guardian's general quality and attitude

mos dan

fact music
lol at "bands" too

its an utter disgrace to be fair. come 20 years watch them scramble for the historical pieces on grime's social importance etc...

I'm hoping when that day comes Blackdown (for I assume it will be you mate) will tell them to go fuck themselves if they want a serialisation, haha.

Love that quote from Kodwo.

Cornflake

i actually hate almost all articles by stuff like village voice or guardian...anything that is indie related. They seem to have no idea of what is going on and are just looking at it from a hipster point of view. Just like some here in Canada who informed me that "grime is so 2003" which i proceeded to laugh at them. Music to them has become a fashion statement and has turned into little to do with the music and more about the association of yourself to a genre.
Its all rubbish

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It doesn't need to step it's game up.

It is evolving at a steady and natural pace. The music quality is good and the levels of organisation are steadily improving.

Just needs less expectation.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i wasn't sure about some of the more US/kanye-style pitched-up-vocal-sample grime tunes on your last show logan. what do you reckon to this direction?

gumdrops

i wasn't sure about some of the more US/kanye-style pitched-up-vocal-sample grime tunes on your last show logan. what do you reckon to this direction?

blame it on low deep. doesnt seem a new direction though, seems to have been going on for a while.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah i know, but i just noticed a saturation of it on this show. it does suggest a constant musical influence by US rap on grime.

gumdrops

yeah i know, but i just noticed a saturation of it on this show. it does suggest a constant musical influence by US rap on grime.

thats more or less been there from day dot though, no? before it was just one of many influences but now its become more dominant and been threatening to swallow up grimes more individual/unique aspects instead of the artists making it into their own thing. which is sad but i suppose it was inevitable, especially when guys like dizzee have long said grime is the real uk hip hop and wiley has said he just sees it as being like hip hop. plus garage isnt there anymore as an influence. im not hugely into dubstep but it seems funny that the same way grime has become more like hip hop (when it comes to vocal tracks and mixtapes going back to crepper and guns n roses 1) dubstep has been emulating dub more too.

Last edited: