GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

which upcoming albums/mixtapes is everybody looking forward to? i have a few tunnel visions already but 'the best of' looks like a steal...i'm dangerously excited at the prospect of receiving the Skepta and Chipmunk releases in the post, genuinely hoping there will be some decent releases from the more promising young MC's. where the hell is Ice kid's mixtape? he never disappoints on radio. i've not heard many mixtapes that capture the pure hype and energy of a really good radio set, even if that's not necessarily what the albums should be a platform for

im not in the least interested with them releasing any more swag mixtapes out when theres all this quality radio about. sure im excited about skepta - but thats been a long long time coming.

i think they should just put more effort into radio shows and hone their bars/content to a really good degree before they start thinking of putting stuff out. with radio its quantity but releases i think they should start to be thinking about quality.

please ice kid no! hes far to young to be putting anything y. same with chipmunk - i dont even want to get his mixtape yet - hes 16, let him live a little. dont get me wrong, i like to hear them on radio but i think this super accelerated curve of progress these mc's are on isnt everything.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
im not in the least interested with them releasing any more swag mixtapes out when theres all this quality radio about. sure im excited about skepta - but thats been a long long time coming.

i think they should just put more effort into radio shows and hone their bars/content to a really good degree before they start thinking of putting stuff out. with radio its quantity but releases i think they should start to be thinking about quality.

please ice kid no! hes far to young to be putting anything y. same with chipmunk - i dont even want to get his mixtape yet - hes 16, let him live a little. dont get me wrong, i like to hear them on radio but i think this super accelerated curve of progress these mc's are on isnt everything.

i see what you mean, it's difficult to swallow anything fed to you by some corrupted youth barely out of nappies. Ice Kid should probably be playing with toy soldiers and reading the Beano but i just like his style. the mixtape culture hasn't been brilliant, with a few highlights, i think i'd rather see cd's compiling the work of many MC's on a particular label or whatever as opposed to premeditated solo album efforts, but how else are these guys gonna make money doing what they do? a decent Eskibeat double album could be massive for instance, even if it was just radio highlights from the last couple of months.

i recently saw a rip of Wiley's appearance on Channel 4's '4 Play', must have aired in the wee hours, and aside from some great interview snippets the performance segments were just boring..once you've seen and heard these guys in action, churning out album tracks just seems a bit below them, especially when you're dealing with an MC the calibre of Wiley.

Well no doubt we'll be around to see Ice Kid, Chip's etc voices break, Griminal's taken it all in his stride...imagine how good Chipmunk is going to be in 5 years time?(as long as he has a decent producer)

C

captain easychord

The thing that's missing in the grime mixtape culture is mixtape DJ's, who go around collecting quality tracks and then putting out compilation tapes. There should be more of that kind of thing happening.

The thing that's missing in the grime mixtape culture is mixtape DJ's, who go around collecting quality tracks and then putting out compilation tapes. There should be more of that kind of thing happening.

Agreed. Or more albums like "Lord Of The Mics" or that Aftershock one, even, "Shock To The System". (Albeit without the grip-hop.

ifp

That tracks by a producer called rude kid and its called alien skank, dont look like it'll ever see the light of day on vinyl unfortunately though

cheers for the id, gutted if it doesnt come out, its a big tune! hits that grime/dubstep divide perfectly

ifp

oh, and re mixtapes, they've just announced that you can get the tape set from FWD at the End from dubplate.net

FWD & Rinse
Live @ The End - 6xCD Pack - CD
Kode 9
Geeneus vs Tubby
Youngsta
Headhunter vs D1/Slimzee
Distance/Karnage
N-Type

£15

i wasn't there so i don't know what mcs they had but am tempted if not just for geeneus v tubby

benjybars

village elder.
oh, and re mixtapes, they've just announced that you can get the tape set from FWD at the End from dubplate.net

FWD & Rinse
Live @ The End - 6xCD Pack - CD
Kode 9
Geeneus vs Tubby
Youngsta
Headhunter vs D1/Slimzee
Distance/Karnage
N-Type

£15

i wasn't there so i don't know what mcs they had but am tempted if not just for geeneus v tubby

wiley BATTERED the dance. worth it just for the karnage set

UFO over easy

online mahjong

was by far the most disappointing set of the evening. about three grime tunes. all dubstep ANTHEMS pitched up to +7 or something, and you could barely hear d double

i'd be far more tempted to get that if they'd put some of the room 2 sets on there.. but it was a really distressing evening for the most part

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
was by far the most disappointing set of the evening. about three grime tunes. all dubstep ANTHEMS pitched up to +7 or something, and you could barely hear d double

this is a typical tubby set nowadays. fucking depressing. he used to be a reason to go down fwd for me, but not anymore. if you're going to hear someone just batter dubstep ANTHEMS solidly for an hour, you may as well listen to youngsta do it, i figure.

i say that but footsie is making himself heard over the wobble on rinse right now - worth checking if you're not doing anything else.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
this is a typical tubby set nowadays. fucking depressing. he used to be a reason to go down fwd for me, but not anymore. if you're going to hear someone just batter dubstep ANTHEMS solidly for an hour, you may as well listen to youngsta do it, i figure.

yunx's selection is far more interesting. at least he plays D1, and the deeper bits by the big names :) whereas tubby and gee, it's like Night followed by Cockney Thug followed by Oskillator followed by Spongebob blah blah blah..

mos dan

fact music
yunx's selection is far more interesting. at least he plays D1, and the deeper bits by the big names :) whereas tubby and gee, it's like Night followed by Cockney Thug followed by Oskillator followed by Spongebob blah blah blah..

yeah my thoughts exactly - i hadn't really meant to sound disparaging about youngsta's sets. i guess i meant 'if you're going to listen to someone play dubstep for an hour, better to listen to yunx do it'.

cheers for the axe fm heads up!

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
yeah my thoughts exactly - i hadn't really meant to sound disparaging about youngsta's sets. i guess i meant 'if you're going to listen to someone play dubstep for an hour, better to listen to yunx do it'.

cheers for the axe fm heads up!
erm yeah left it a bit late:eek: hopefully someone ripped it...Cold Blooded need to do a mixtape, tho i can't help thinking it would suck

28 Gun Nice Boy

Skepta - Greatest Hits

Went down Uptown today. Skepta's 'Greatest Hits' release has been postponed till next week apparently. Shame after the big deal he made about it being released on his birthday...

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
Just listened to Greatest Hits for the first time. The previews on Boomkat really had me fearing the worst, but I'm glad to say it's better than I expected. I still can't stand 'sweet mother' and the 'cold turkey' is a very poor choice of closing track, but I enjoyed it a lot on first listen.

I have to say, though, I wish 'stupid' and that mythical vocal of 'fly away' had made it on here. Two of his best tracks IMO, and yet neither have had any sort of release to my knowledge, which is a real shame.

Anyway, buy it.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Will be going through the album tonight with Skepta on the show. Giving away some signed CD copies too, a week before the release.

gumdrops

i heard the skepta sampler - seemed a bit oddly mixed, the vocals very high above the beats. so maybe i just couldnt hear the beats that well but i thought there would be more uptempo beats. what i was hearing seemed to be a lot of over-pared down (in speed and arrangement) sort of production. skepta sounded good on it though - everyones been talking about doogz making an effort in writing and songcraft, but skepta is up there too (although im not sure an album from him will ever come up to sets like that one with plastician or his solo set on the roll deep show from last september).