Japan?

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Eric said:
grassroots is definitely a good suggestion. i used to go there 7-8 years ago when it was just a neighborhood reggae/hiphop club filled with *yankees* (more or less the equivalent of British *chavs* if I understand this concept right).

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the club was full of Americans or was this a "japanese" term for lower class people?

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Keith P said:
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the club was full of Americans or was this a "japanese" term for lower class people?

no americans there at that time ... the term "yankee" refers in japan to a particular subculture that started (I think) in the early 80s (correct me if I'm wrong people). bleached hair etc. there were connections to the "boosoozoku" (kind of motorcycle gang) scene and lots of inhalants. these days they are still around: car fixups (lowrider, neon, etc), tracksuits, still bleached hair, heavy fake tans, etc. the music is usually reggae or shitty euro or bad jpns pop. anyway that was the scene at grassroots back in the late 90s.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Gotta love the Southern style chocolate here. ;)

02110001.jpg

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
cool whatcha up to?
im just heading over on a working holiday visa to be with my girl and erm... muck around for a year haha

guess i need to work at some point as well. i'll be in nagoya !

polystyle

Hi Minikomi
Are you going for Nagoya because your lady lives there or has work there ?
Not to ruffle any Nagoyan feathers on here , mind you
but just curious because Nagoya's not exactly the most happening spot - if you have any choice ...

borderpolice

polystyle desu said:
Hi Minikomi
Are you going for Nagoya because your lady lives there or has work there ?
Not to ruffle any Nagoyan feathers on here , mind you
but just curious because Nagoya's not exactly the most happening spot - if you have any choice ...

hey, i'm also gonna work in nagoya this march for a few weeks. i hope there's at least some things going on ...

polystyle

Hi BP ,
Well, like any town , city of course there's stuff going on on many levels.
But unlike Osaka or Kyoto for example ,
dunno if there is any defining Nagoya 'sound(s)'/scenes - maybe the sound of a good Toyota they thow some weight throughout the area .
Aiichi Prefecture's Expo which ended last summer was their big to -do ,
pride in joy for it's Wooly Mammoth piece brought down for the gig from Siberia .

I DID see that Nagoya has one of the thickest girls & boy's host clubs collections,
complied into a tome big as a Yellow Pages and available at every 7-11 , convenience stores.

Host clubs , a thawed Wooly Mammoth , pachinko
and maybe Led Zep cover band Cinnamon if they still exist ...
all await you in Nagoya.
Plus the usual nice and friendly people who you may know there, places you may like that you find in your travels - also Nagoya's not so far from Tokyo or going the other way , Osaka for quick escapes.

polystyle

Yea, I find Japan is amazing - frustrating and still sometimes wonderous - confusing ,
and no knock on Nagoya .
The speed and rush of Tokyo can be so exhausting it's nice/essential to get out of there before dying of overwork / overclocking

Host clubs : In host clubs women who are tired of dealing with their men , boyfriend , boss
go there to drink and party with young host club guys who really GET them and possibly also provide some feeling that something ... could ... happen .
The usual J Pop or Shibuya visual tropes - the overtanning guys , sporty , Astro Boy hair'dude,
moody pale Goth in black suit , they are all there .
These clubs are probably in every city /town of size by now , some have Japanese , some have Korean guys and that's been hot for the last while now.
I hear about this stuff from a friend of friend , a woman who does go to them .

Some Japanese household's attitude of 'let's leave all sex outside' results in both husband and wife
going to their own host /hostess clubs.
Slight murmurs of shock when it came out in the media awhile back that some really young girls were doing prostitution in order to support their young guy habit at the host club .

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
yeah my girl lives in hamamatsu and we;re planning to shack up eventually in nagoya... she doesnt want to live in osaka (doesnt like the people haha... typical chubu attitude!) and i have friends in gifu, so nagoya is a good compromise. i can still go to osaka on weekends, and its probably a more relaxed place to live anyway.

theres a good electronica scene in nagoya, with buddah bar, out records, some other clubs.. i know some djs in the area from when i was visiting in 2002 so it should be fine for me. also, it's a bit cheaper than osaka/tokyo....

really just a compromise on a lot of levels, but i like the way the city is set out and oosu has a nice vibe.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Nagoya has a reasonable garage scene & also some breakcore stuff going on apparently too.

Minikomi---why Tokyo? Got a job! heh. Finally a decent one, makes it worth moving.

polystyle

Sounds good Minikomi
Have never stayed in those areas ,
but have a real interest in staying / living in a nice place little bit out the way place in Japan.
Visited Kamakura /Shonan Beach last summer while touring with my group and that was quite nice.
Was thinking to use my Frequent Flier Miles and go in April before Golden Week,
but just decided to go instead in the fall .

Hey . have a great time over there ...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
yeah, it's very different living out in the country. I spent a year at a japanese high school back in 2000 living in higashi maizuru (舞鶴 - dancing crane!).. basically a little port town on the japanese sea. very isolated. had a lot of dark moments but overall it was a very very good experience - not least because the lack of english speakers (2 or 3 in the whole town) meant that my language skills improved dramatically. some good memories include hiking around the forrest, planting rice by hand, swimming out to the "teatorapotto" (huge concrete tsunami breakers made of interlocking geometric shapes) in the sea and catching sea urchins by spear with some random yankee who was there, who subsequently cut them open, poured on soy sauce and ate them raw(!), learning the local taiko rythym and playing it at all the summer festivals, making o-mochi by hand, riding my bike by the huge glass smelting factory every day to get to school...

tetorapotto look like this before they're put together:

takadati01421006.jpg

the tetora = tetra i guess and potto = erm.. pot? heheh...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
borderpolice said:
how does one go on about finding these places w/o speaking or reading japanese?

follow minikomi I guess ... :)

seriously I don't think there are many good resources in English for non-huge events.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
borderpolice said:
how does one go on about finding these places w/o speaking or reading japanese?

the best way to find out about what's going on is to turn off your computer & head to the places with all the record stores and grab flyers. . If yr in tokyo I'd start by going to shibuya (CISCO / DISK UNION / MANHATTAN / 3 DJS for a start), shimo kitazawa (DISK UNION / JETSET RECORDS / many more), shinjuku (DISK UNION & a million hidden specialty stores if you explore further away from the station... dancehall, punk, noise, industrial, britpop, psychadelia, blues etc)

This is without a doubt the best way to find out about upcoming events and has the added bonus of getting you 500-1000 yen discounts off the cover charge at most events (by showing the flyer at the door).

The flyers have enough english on them to let you know the basics... music style, club name , cover $ & djs/performers. Then you can search on the net for the clubs' websites (some of them have english maps) or print the japanese maps & ask for help on the street or at police stations. Police will help you find shit every time... clubs, stores whatever. just ask them "club name wa doko desu ka" and they'll often give you a map & circle the place yr looking for.

Again... if yr in tokyo go to the places I've mentioned and ask people where these stores are. Have fun!!