questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

bassnation

the abyss
confucius said:
oh yeah... what does Bumbaclaat mean? is it just a cool sounding word to throw out when toasting? like "Booyaka!" ?

its an insult - bloodclaat meaning literally tampon, or sanitary towel, with bumbaclaat meaning "arsewipe". dissing rival soundcrews and the rest of it.

shudder

bassnation said:
its an insult - bloodclaat meaning literally tampon, or sanitary towel, with bumbaclaat meaning "arsewipe". dissing rival soundcrews and the rest of it.

holy shit! I never knew that's what bloodclaat referred to!!!! I mean, you hear it all the time, and it sounds so totally normal, but... wow.

gabriel

The Heatwave
shudder said:
holy shit! I never knew that's what bloodclaat referred to!!!! I mean, you hear it all the time, and it sounds so totally normal, but... wow.

though normal and commonplace in jungle/drum&bass and not infrequently used in dancehall, in jamaica it's seriously offensive (artists are fined if they use it at stage shows, for example), so it's not a word to be thrown around lightly really...

viktorvaughn said:
'Booyaka' is the mimicing of a gunshot i think?

indeed - the boo is the shot and the yaka is the ricochet... amazing (though perhaps unsurprising) how detailed and varied jamaican vocal impersonations of gunshots are - there's also bo/boo/buh, brap and rruh/rah... and i seem to remember one that specifically imitates a machine gun, but i've forgotten what it is..

matt b

Indexing all opinion
gabriel said:
amazing (though perhaps unsurprising) how detailed and varied jamaican vocal impersonations of gunshots are - there's also bo/boo/buh, brap and rruh/rah... and i seem to remember one that specifically imitates a machine gun, but i've forgotten what it is..

people like jackie lickshot made entire careers out of being able to make military sound effects vocally

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
bassnation said:
Isn't bloodclaat it also used to add emphasis? As in "I don't fucking believe it." Maybe that's more of a UK usage?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
what does 'buck and bury' mean?

puts me in mind of some kind of hedgerow-wine summer concoction.

sounds nice but i'm sure that's way of the mark. :)

I don't get....

any of the plots/whole ideas around the 3 Daft Punk releases esp. 'Human After All' (which is my favourite)

anyone care to explain (I do feel embaressed to ask this)?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Lichen said:
Fine. I'm happy that cheese = money. I still want to know why.

It's from Government Cheese, cheap (cheaper than cheddar) processed cheese that was (at least, I don't think it is anymore?) distributed to people on welfare in the US during the 80s and 90s. The same term was later used to refer to cash and food stamp welfare payments as well, and eventually came to be applied to money in general.

S

simon silverdollar

what is the 'grey goose' that is mentioned in a lot of dirty south hip hop?

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
I used to assume that a grime freestyle was improvised in the same way as a hip hop freestyle, but I've just found out that a grime freestyle actually consists of pre-prepared bars. Question: was I the only person left who didn't already know that?

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Logan Sama said:
lol@thinking that mainstream hip hop 'freestyles' aren't pre-written

My paradigm for a hip hop freestyle is e.g. Sway on the radio making up verses in response to topics that listeners have called in to suggest. Or someone at a rap battle directly responding to what the other person's said. I'm aware that e.g. a Ludacris 'freestyle' on a CD mixtape isn't going to be improvised.