questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

STN

sou'wester
what is the strange eerie 'bing ... bong... bingbingbingbingbong' noise on 'tried by 12' by east flatbush project? it sounds like a treated piano or something. is it a sample?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
what is the strange eerie 'bing ... bong... bingbingbingbingbong' noise on 'tried by 12' by east flatbush project? it sounds like a treated piano or something. is it a sample?

can't think of the name at the mo, but it's a Japanese stringed instrument iirc. Maybe a multisample of one tho.

Edit: as i recall there's only one eerie noise on that track, haven't heard it in ages.

Edit redux: http://primateking.blogspot.com/2009/01/east-flatbush-edo-tried-by-12-primate.html#

Edit 3: the instrument itself is called a koto.

Edit ∞ : http://www.macmusic.org/software/version.php/lang/en/id/8347/# might give this a bash...

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
cos i don't want to start another Tune ID thread. I heard this track on the radio a while back. It was a sort of slow jazzy, rare-groove sounding thing with an American guy talking over the top. I think the only recurring phrase was 'black man strong, getting stronger' (which may have been sung), cos I remember typing that into google and finding a load of depressing white supremacist sites. I doubt anyone on any of those would be able to help me with the tune. Sounded late 70s to early 80s. Not a million miles from some late Gary Bartz stuff, but more rigid.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
How was Fatman, though? curious about that as they are not known for playing uk dub stuff...
Seemed good. Not really enough of an expert to say much about what they were playing, but it seemed fairly on message. Went down well if not quite as well as Shanti-I and Tubbys.

Good night, though. Hadn't been before, would definitely go again.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
there's a word the pharcyde use a lot on the labcabincalifornia lp that i think is a derogatory word for girl, i've checked a couple of lyrics sites but there doesn't appear to be any consensus on the spelling, some say it's eypps, some say ihaps

to me it just sounds like ips...

anyone know what it is and where it comes from?

it's in the tune 'the hustle' and the skit before 'groupie therapy'

viktorvaughn

there's a word the pharcyde use a lot on the labcabincalifornia lp that i think is a derogatory word for girl, i've checked a couple of lyrics sites but there doesn't appear to be any consensus on the spelling, some say it's eypps, some say ihaps

to me it just sounds like ips...

anyone know what it is and where it comes from?

it's in the tune 'the hustle' and the skit before 'groupie therapy'

Oh yeah... I like that album, more than their debut rally. I remember ips / lips rhymes at one point.

sufi

lala
Questions arising from University of Dub:
1) What exactly is 'steppers' as in 'roots, dub and steppers'?
2) Why do Aba Shanti-I have all their equipment at head height?
so you got to scala then? how was it???
i'm really hoping that aba has found a decent venue again & scala has got to be better than SE1 (what's the smoking arrangement btw? last time i scalaed was before the ban)

1.) is that funny jumping dance no? skanking is the canter, steppers is the gallop!
2.) i thought also it was so aba has his groove at eye level & he can drop stylus precisely, aba is quite short innit

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
so you got to scala then? how was it???
i'm really hoping that aba has found a decent venue again & scala has got to be better than SE1 (what's the smoking arrangement btw? last time i scalaed was before the ban)
Was pretty sweet, generally. It was the first time I'd been to UoD and the first time I'd been to the Scala - I know it winds some people up as a venue but it worked well, I think. All the VIP areas were opened up (naturally) so people could hang around on the balcony ten metres above the action and pretend to be the russian mafia in a film, and the whole place had a bit of a post-industrial / steampunk / rabbit warren feel to it, in a good way. And I dunno what the sound is usually like but that wasn't really an issue.

Smoking area was a bit limited - there was a kind of outside area about 2m square in a gap between a load of tall buildings, so the air was pretty thick. And security were actually paying attention to smokers inside. But I don't smoke, so wasn't bothered.

sufi

lala
Was pretty sweet, generally. It was the first time I'd been to UoD and the first time I'd been to the Scala - I know it winds some people up as a venue but it worked well, I think. All the VIP areas were opened up (naturally) so people could hang around on the balcony ten metres above the action and pretend to be the russian mafia in a film, and the whole place had a bit of a post-industrial / steampunk / rabbit warren feel to it, in a good way. And I dunno what the sound is usually like but that wasn't really an issue.

Smoking area was a bit limited - there was a kind of outside area about 2m square in a gap between a load of tall buildings, so the air was pretty thick. And security were actually paying attention to smokers inside. But I don't smoke, so wasn't bothered.

that sounds way better than SE1
when's the next session anyone?

boyalive

looking for a good cowboy
at the risk of exposing my complete reggae noobism, who's the DJ where all the classic 'all little dibby dibby soundboy.... cos when it come to music/soundclash we are the gorgon/ we are the champion sound' etc, as used on everything from horsepower - gorgon sound, to Jaylib - champion sound and countless dancehall 7"s?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
at the risk of exposing my complete reggae noobism, who's the DJ where all the classic 'all little dibby dibby soundboy.... cos when it come to music/soundclash we are the gorgon/ we are the champion sound' etc, as used on everything from horsepower - gorgon sound, to Jaylib - champion sound and countless dancehall 7"s?

jackie lickshot

D

droid

Sounds like Fuzzy Jones actually. There was also Joe Lickshot and Jackie Knockshot.

D

droid

man its difficult to find anything on these guys, googles giving me air. Don't think its Joe lickshot, could still be jackie lickshot, jackie knockshot or fuzzy jones tho. I'll keep searching.

It's Fuzzy Jones. Trust. I have the originals of all those samples.