questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

mpc

wasteman
"yeah that ears is decent alie, and that ain't even a lie"

something like that anyway.

hold tight ears - friendliest grime mc in the game.

i've even got his phone number (no homo, though)

zhao

there are no accidents
does "draped up and dripped out" just mean high rolling with a nice buzz going? or is there some other meaning?

no one has anything to add about Spectralism?

zhao

there are no accidents
Rambler said:
Kaija Saariaho

this is the only name I recognize from the spectral related composers you mentioned. I love her work. the richness and subtleties of the timbres... now I'm making a kind of connection - it makes sense in terms of the technical explanations a few pages ago, that she is influenced by the spectalists.

I will be doing some homework in the coming weeks... thanks and cheers!

clappa

Aka Skrewface
I hear Riko biggin up Maxi Priest, or whoever on the Rinse Fm streams. Is that the same Maxi Priest who had hits such as "Wild World", "Housecall" etc.?

DJL

i'm joking
clappa said:
I hear Riko biggin up Maxi Priest, or whoever on the Rinse Fm streams. Is that the same Maxi Priest who had hits such as "Wild World", "Housecall" etc.?

Maxi Priest = DJ Maximum - one of the Roll Deep DJs

DonRuba

Stocktown man
This is something I've really been wondering about:
Why is Jay-Z often mentioned when Dizzee Rascal is discussed? Is Rascal somehow considered to be "the Jay-Z of grime" and if so, why?

killuridols

Change the game
DonRuba said:
This is something I've really been wondering about:
Why is Jay-Z often mentioned when Dizzee Rascal is discussed? Is Rascal somehow considered to be "the Jay-Z of grime" and if so, why?

Maybe because he is the most mainstream and internationally known Grime artist and many people consider him to be the king (ala Jay- z) of grime(at least they used to).

john eden

male pale and stale
Hang on tho - google to the rescue:

'Double Impact' is achieved when all of the beats, basslines and harmonies line up and are released all at once. The beats and the basslines from both records drop at the same time and you get double the impact. What should happen is that in the middle of the mix, a 3rd tune should come out of the first 2; and should only exist because of the first 2.

So, in other words, it's, ah, mixing.

D

droid

john eden said:
Hang on tho - google to the rescue:

So, in other words, it's, ah, mixing.

AFAIK - he used to do something freaky like mix on the snare instead of the kick. Saw him once back in the 90s and never noticed anything odd about his style though...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
how 'bout this one:

both Blue Oyster Cult and Husker Du have credited band members (Eric Bloom and Bob Mould, respectively) as having contributed "stun guitar" to various records...

anybody know what sort of instrument/effect this is, and why it seems to be wielded only by umlaut lovers?

D

droid

john eden said:
'Double Impact' is achieved when all of the beats, basslines and harmonies line up and are released all at once. The beats and the basslines from both records drop at the same time and you get double the impact. What should happen is that in the middle of the mix, a 3rd tune should come out of the first 2; and should only exist because of the first 2.

This is a 'Double Drop' not a 'Double impact' (which is a really bad Van Damme film). Two tunes lined up so the breakdowns and drops happen at the same time.. gotten easier and easier to do in D+B down through the years..

geto.blast

snap on rims
henry s said:
how 'bout this one:

both Blue Oyster Cult and Husker Du have credited band members (Eric Bloom and Bob Mould, respectively) as having contributed "stun guitar" to various records...

anybody know what sort of instrument/effect this is, and why it seems to be wielded only by umlaut lovers?

"Speaking of Bloom, what exactly is the stun guitar he was credited with playing?

(chuckles) We made up stun guitar to describe some of the fuzz parts Eric did. In fact, there’s a stun guitar part on the new record!"

http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=66

nomos

Administrator
droid said:
This is a 'Double Drop' not a 'Double impact' (which is a really bad Van Damme film). Two tunes lined up so the breakdowns and drops happen at the same time.. gotten easier and easier to do in D+B down through the years..
aha! thank you. i wondered if it was something like that.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
does any one have any info about jerry lewis the reggae toaster/dj bloke? all i know is the two songs i've heard, rhythm pleasure (with the aggrovators) and burning wire, does he have more, and where can i find it? i've tried looking him up on google, but i just get a million websites about jerry lewis the comdeian.

...and for that matter what is the difference between a toaster and a dj?