questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day....

I *think* it's the thread that runs through and connects jungle/drum and bass, hardcore, UK garage, 2 step onwards up till current musics like grime, "funky" and bassline ... basically the connection that one can see between all these UK dance musics if you take an overview...

Is that about right?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
What exactly is this 'continuum' that gets mentioned so often in the music threads here?

Simon Reynolds' conception of the "hardcore continuum" ie- Hardcore--> Jungle-->2 step Garage --> Grime/Dubstep/Bassline.

Big debate as to how useful the terminology is now to describe current music.

DJ PIMP

Vague definition of the genre...
RUB A DUB: Roughly spoken, this is Reggae, mainly from the late 1970's, early 1980's, where DJ's chanted and Singers sung over very tracks that were mixed in a dub style. Today, Rub a Dub files under Roots Reggae and the difference between Roots and Rub a Dub is not always that clear.
http://ask.dubroom.org/faqstyleclassifications.htm

Not a huge reggae monster but I identify particular basslines as being rub a dub. Sometimes jungle tracks borrowed Rub A Dub sub patterns, which is where I first came into contact with the term.

I've always assumed it's an onomatopoeia with the rhythm of the phrase describing the syncopation of the bass. But it could also be the vocalist riding the track, or cueing up a record; rubbing the dub back and forth before playing it...

Soundbwoy Mysteries Chapter 11.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Simon Reynolds' conception of the "hardcore continuum" ie- Hardcore--> Jungle-->2 step Garage --> Grime/Dubstep/Bassline.

So it's (more or less) UK-originating dance music with a 'breaky'/syncopated (as oppsed to 4x4 techno/house/trance) beat?

i'll ask this in here because its probably the baitest question ever

but

that song with the chorus that goes "you've got to show me love"

house or garage, cant remember now

whodunit?

thanks very much if you can identify it

lol what a plum.

i did google it - but the search also came up with a Robyn - show me love

and thats completely different!

thanks noel

nomos

Administrator
wow! thanks! that's the organ i've had in my head for months but couldn't place.

was there a big ukg remix of this - something dubbier - or just a lot of variations on the sound?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
wow! thanks! that's the organ i've had in my head for months but couldn't place.

was there a big ukg remix of this - something dubbier - or just a lot of variations on the sound?

yeah in 2002 i think
there were re mixes of all those old 90 - 93 nyc garage tracks.

nomos

Administrator
yeah in 2002 i think
there were re mixes of all those old 90 - 93 nyc garage tracks.
ah ok. that's why the first thing i thought of was those purple e3 ads from rinse instead of a high school dance.

mms said:
wha...? he's only had a brain for a few months?
it's been quite an adjustment :eek: