riddim hunt

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think the best example of this is the rose gold - it's a fucking killer riddim but every track on it was bullshit almost without exception.

D

droid

john eden said:
Droid I thinkI agree with you in some ways, but I'm sure there were all sorts of rubbish riddims being produced in the 90s, it's just that the riddim LP thing means that all the rubbish riddims now come in 20 or 40 cuts which are readily accessible.

Oh - absolutely - but there were SO many riddims coming out, that the ratio of bad to good riddims was kept failry healthy. Also - there was a good bit more diversity in both the style and sound of production, and in the vocal varieties on offer... theres's little crossover between the roots/dancehall sounds today, when they were once almost interchangeable...

50 riddims in 5 years seems like a lot to me. :D

10 a year? I dunno. Back when I was Djng out a bit more, and staying on top of things Id hear 2 or 3 a week worth picking up...

But my main problem with a lot of the stuff on Boom Boom Bashment was that even if you find a good riddim you have to trawl through some really bad vocals/lyrics to find 3 or 4 versions which are of the required brilliance. Mexican would be a good example - sounds great, but most of the vocals are dire.

Im with ya there.

What was that guy's name who did Breaking Ranks? :confused:

Dave?

Dave something...

Oh yeah... Ive got that site bookmarked, but I cant read anything on it cos the cobwebs block my view... :rolleyes:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
yeh well some people are still making new mixes ;)

shameless, i know.

oh, and if anyone has a set of the mad sex riddim they want to part with plz pm me?

Last edited:
D

droid

confucius said:
also if there is anything from before this period (1990s? 2001? 2002?) that are just ace let me know... I would click on every link on Soundquake but just haven't the time! tanks!

Heres a few from a crumpled old setlist that i just found. Roots and Bashment...

late 90s:

Ants Nest
Joint
Grass Cyatt
Problem
High Grade
Kak up
Cock up
Bruk Bottle
Krazy Kat
Bellyas
Filthy
Undawater
Playground
Earthquake
Streetsweeper
Bada Bada

mid-90's

Freedom blues
Heathen
Get in the groove
Hot Wax
Heavy rock
Corduroy
Rope In
Mean Girl
Solomon
Bogle
Pepperseed
Urkle

Early 90's

Answer
Lecturer
Baba-boom
Love I can feel
Big it up
Butterfly
Bruk Wine Butterfly
1/4 to 12
3 blind mice
Giggy

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Scallawah is the showerest riddim of the year. Gives me chills every time I listen to it.

Watch for it's producer Two Seven's Klash's vocal appearance on our forthcoming LP called Pale Fire. The tune is called Brooklyn, it's a NYC grime ting with him and Jah Dan on mic. Gonna be our first single, dropping soon.