A Guy Called Gerald returns to Jungle!

blissblogger

yeah i realyl meant FUTURE with an F but thought it would be more, er, phuturistic, to spell it with a PH, like

(heartily sick of the acid-retreading, that's happened six times already, surely, esp if you count the big beat lot's love of 303)

yeah it would be nice if it reached forward into the unknown and grabbed something from there but that seems to be asking too much

still i'm with dominic, i'm totally up for the retro-ransacking to shift forward into the early/mid 90s, lots of potential there

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
blissblogger said:
(heartily sick of the acid-retreading, that's happened six times already, surely, esp if you count the big beat lot's love of 303)

yeah it would be nice if it reached forward into the unknown and grabbed something from there but that seems to be asking too much

Acid is not just about having a 303 in there. "Acid is a certain groove that makes your body want to move when you hear it"..err..where was I? I am talking about Acid House proper, but yeah, even that particular sound gets a revival every couple years. I am loving it though. It never really hits the mainstream (even the underground mainstream if you know what I mean), just a few records coming out now and then.

You wouldn't claim to be sick of crunk because every year someone uses the 808 bassdrum. The way acid house uses a 303 and Fatboy Slim or Chris Liberator use it is totally different. I think the instrument is expressive enough for a wide variety of sounds.

I think DK7 - The Difference was a pretty blinding tune, one of the best of that year and that was acid house through and through. Nevertheless it sounded pretty original to me. Your mileage may vary.

Blissblogger: You know, for all your deeply held beliefs about music and your constant craving for something new and knowledge of the processes and ideas that underlie it I wonder why you never made a track yourself (or have you?) You would learn a lot, at the least.

mms

sometimes
DigitalDjigit said:
Don't forget the steady trickle of new acid house from the likes of Jesper Dahlback and Abe Duque.

Really does make you think that Dance music is in a 20 year loop. It's a bit weird with acid though, it never went away. Who here really heard any mention of Italo between '92 and '00? There were little acid revivals every couple of years.

It's too early for a jungle revival though. It's only been 14 years.

theres been loads of it this year ,
modeselector remixes of ellen allen, anders illar, analords, tnt stuff etc , the stuff on subplate etc , the skam unknon artist 12" which is really great .
jungle was revived 2 years ago with soundmurderer, amen andrews etc and a steady stream of neo junglist tracks coming out if canada and north america .
i guess acid is the kind of original modal feeling - the big pressure which is why it's still around, it's detached and alien from anything else that went before pretty much as well - ie listen to acid tracks and it still feels as alien as it did back then innit.

blissblogger

DigitalDjigit said:
You wouldn't claim to be sick of crunk because every year someone uses the 808 bassdrum.

Blissblogger: You know, for all your deeply held beliefs about music and your constant craving for something new and knowledge of the processes and ideas that underlie it I wonder why you never made a track yourself (or have you?) You would learn a lot, at the least.

actually i am sick of crunk -- although not necessarily for that reason you give

303, i always think of as being like a classic guitar sound, wah wah or fuzztone, you can get peeople who make it fresh again, but the odds against ithat rise with each passing year. also it now unavoidably connotes vintage sound, a certain period feel, as opposed to that absolute gobsmacking fist-of-the-future-in-yer-face sensation of hearing it for the first time in (in my case) 1988

never made a track, got no musical talent whatsoever!

i don't underestimate how hard it is to do something new -- (or indeed to make anything musically appealing at all for that matter) -- but i get the sense that there's so much musical past to work from and combine different elements of that it's almost irresistible for people to do that...

D84

Yeah I heard the some of the last AGCG album at a mate's place when it came out and it wasn't really for me - but to be honest I never really gave it much of a chance.

But Black Secret Technology is still a great album. The bad mastering etc meant that it took me longer to get into (I find cranking it usually helps) but I listen to it heaps more than I do Timeless, which surely has its own fair share duff moments (I'll have to dig it out again to confirm though).

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Originally posted by D84
but I listen to it heaps more than I do Timeless, which surely has its own fair share duff moments (I'll have to dig it out again to confirm though)
hmmm...isn't there a track on Timeless with seagull samples, and somebody crying in the background?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
blissblogger said:

hah! as if that ever stopped 90% of producers. If you can appreciate music and remember melodies I think that is talent enough. It's 99% perspiration anyway.

Just rip some big samples from a few a records and put them together in Fruity Loops.

D

droid

henry s said:
Originally posted by D84

hmmm...isn't there a track on Timeless with seagull samples, and somebody crying in the background?

Yep - the 'My life in the bush of ghosts' sampling 'Sea of tears'. LP version is cheesy, but theres a wicked 12" mix.

Only really bad tune on timeless is 'You and me' - and even thats not the worst...

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
droid said:
As long as the justly forgotten 'Automanikk' is never revived... can anyone explain just how this album managed to be SOOOO bad?
Sure: Lots of horrible vocals.

As for Black Secret Technology, I only got that album three years ago, and was massively underwhelmed by it. Especially the drum programming just seemed so... unfuturistic. Very little cutting up or manipulation, an old fashioned "tribal" sound, almost. Oh, and lots of awfull soul samples too.

As for 28 Gun Bad Boy, I'll ask again: do anyone know if the rerelease will come out on vinyl?

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
blissblogger said:
303, i always think of as being like a classic guitar sound, wah wah or fuzztone, you can get peeople who make it fresh again, but the odds against ithat rise with each passing year. also it now unavoidably connotes vintage sound, a certain period feel, as opposed to that absolute gobsmacking fist-of-the-future-in-yer-face sensation of hearing it for the first time in (in my case) 1988
Your point is probably right, but examples like wah wah and fuzztone are far too narrow to capture the potential of the 303 (or similar sounds/machines), let alone the incredibly many ways it have been used. It's both a sound and a way of using that sound... after all, you can make acid without the 303 (anyone in doubt, check the amazing Black Labs album on Thomas Heckmanns Trope label), and you can use the 303 and still not make acid. If the analogy with fuzz/wah wah should hold, then in addition to all the other uses of the sound, there would have to be an entire style of rock with that single sonic trick as the only defining ingredient.

Rather, I think acid could be better described as something like funk - at the same time a genre, a way of playing, and in many ways also a sound.

blissblogger said:
Oh, but we're talking electronics here, you obviously don't need talent. Everybody knows that you just have to press a button.

blissblogger said:
i don't underestimate how hard it is to do something new ...
My experience is that something really new has a very hard time, nobody knows what to do with it (including me - where should I send a demo of something that doesn't sound much like anything else, who would be interested in that? You know those labels always saying: "Only send us something we have never heard before, we don't want something we allready know..."? Well, that's crap, they're not interested in something so different that they can't sell it to their usual audience... Either that, or my music is just bad).

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
BST is more like ambient listening in my book -- very dreamy -- the kinda thing to play by yourself on a rainy night

28-gun bad boy is the one to have, however, if you had to choose -- incredible range -- everything from bad boy tracks ("28 gun" and "king of the jungle") to beautiful utopian stuff at the very end ("disneyband" and "wonderful world")

and it's this 92/93 stuff that i think has most potential for recycling b/c it ain't house and it ain't full-blown jungle -- it's the infinite middle zone

i rate the guy called gerald album that came out last february/march -- not up my alley per se -- but still think it very good -- he does his own thing -- genius, not scenius in his case

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
hamarplazt said:
As for Black Secret Technology -- lots of awfull soul samples too

errrr, i rather like gcg's use of samples -- and though i generally don't like soulful/jazzy/fusion-y jungle (or the other extreme of aggro dnb), i think that he pulls it off well -- i.e., all the songs work for what he's trying to accomplish -- plus it's very true to manchester

hamarplazt said:
As for 28 Gun Bad Boy, I'll ask again: do anyone know if the rerelease will come out on vinyl?

i have the impression that it's gonna be re-released on vinyl