this seems wrong to me

owen

I went to this, and it was quite wrong.

british sea power's 'contribution' was kept to a minimum- essentially they banged some stuff in the corner anf then were ushered off by the bearded chap after 5 minutes with 'thank you british sea powers!' similarly (if more enjoyably) the pipettes' contribution was to scream through one song and hum loomingly through another. also there was a marching band marching variously on the stage and through the audience, which was fun- particularly when a trumpet at the front was answered by a french horn at the back of the hall. other than that it was much as you'd expect- power tools, metal sheets as percussion, rather embarassing hippy proclamations ('you are the people of the moon!' 'listen to the fish!' etc) and ah, the 'hits', among which the instrumental thingy off Faust IV was most propulsive, inducing some dancing.
points off tho for jean-herve peron's tendency to declamation, which made 'it's a bit of a pain' resemble whitehouse remixing counting crows.

fun though.

Raw Patrick

The one time I saw British Sea Power the sound guy tried to punch one of them, which made me like them.

They were actually better than the last time I saw Faust which was dismal 'avant' stuff soundtracking Nosferatu. It couldn't have been more cliched if they set out to parody boring, po-faced post-industrial type rock. Chris Bohn woulld've wet his pants for it though (and probably does in whatever issue of the Wire came out the month after those shows.) Faust lost the pop and tunes when they reformed which was always a massive part of what they did.

mms

sometimes
Raw Patrick said:
The one time I saw British Sea Power the sound guy tried to punch one of them, which made me like them.

They were actually better than the last time I saw Faust which was dismal 'avant' stuff soundtracking Nosferatu. It couldn't have been more cliched if they set out to parody boring, po-faced post-industrial type rock. Chris Bohn woulld've wet his pants for it though (and probably does in whatever issue of the Wire came out the month after those shows.) Faust lost the pop and tunes when they reformed which was always a massive part of what they did.

i djed after bsp once and it was rubbish too, they played crap ironic pop and indie and started and finished the sets with a fog horn , like some conceptiual journey down a very boring river a long time ago - i think they were the first english band in a long time to wear uniforms of a kind tho, which is nice.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
They were actually better than the last time I saw Faust which was dismal 'avant' stuff soundtracking Nosferatu. It couldn't have been more cliched if they set out to parody boring, po-faced post-industrial type rock.

If I recall correctly, that gig was reviewed in The Wire, and whoever reviewed it agreed with you.

Raw Patrick

"British Sea Power bassist Hamilton was given a black eye when he became involved in a fracas with Krautrock legends Faust.

The incident happened when the two played alongside each other at the Hove Old Market in Brighton earlier this month.

Apparently, Faust frontman Jean-Herve Peron became exasperated when British Sea Power played an extended drum solo during a jamming session.

Peron allegedly confronted the band after the set, and then threw punches at Hamilton."

(British Sea Power are actually better than Faust these days, and I say that not even liking them at all!)