hip-hop, where to begin?

STN

sou'wester
Why that old hag feels able to pronounce on anything musical is beyond me.

Wasn't he whinging on that there's nothing good nowadays? Of course everything that YOU have heard of is shit, Gallagher, that should be obvious.

mos dan

fact music
yeah, writing that did feel somewhat like shooting fish in a barrel.. ooh i just got my first neg comment, nice: "what could be better than sneering insinuations of rascism?" my thoughts exactly, 'Crunge'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I remember when I first heard that line ''Retarded from birth I never had no class I used to fart in church and tell the priest to kiss my ass'' I thought: ''At last, someone who understands me.''

The Kweli CDs went straight inna the bin two seconds later.

Obviously all of the above is a lie. The first beatnuts album (not the intoxicated demons ep) is probably my personal favourite Hip-Hop album though, oddly enough.

petergunn

plywood violin
shameless self-publicity / fear of being e-hounded by hairy-palmed oasis fans all day:

run come save me - http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/04/gallagher_knows_nothing_about.html

this is blowing up a bit on US hip hop sites, w/ people kinda dumbfounded... which i admit i am... i mean, Jay Z is arguably the most famous rapper alive and if you polled 100 people in the street in any city in say, the midwest, maybe 2 would know who Noel Gallagher is... i guess maybe it's different if people don't know his stuff there, but in the US, EVERYONE under 35 knows "hard knock life", "big pimpin", "give it to me", "crazy in love", and is at least familiar w/ tons of his other stuff, as every bar/club in the US has played this stuff to death for 10 years, to the point that even people who weren't big fans would enjoy seeing him... also, haven't they had hip hop acts at Glastonbury since De La Soul/PE days?

Where I live in the US we recently had the'Black Music Television'
on the beach.
If you enjoy watching a bunch of people with their pants round their knees and trying to hold them up by their crotch and can't understand what the hell they are singing about then why not?
But since when did the Anglo Brit's have any kind of say or opinion with this kind of issue? If we opposed it I,m sure we would be called racist's.
Brit working in US.

ann bennett

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=4592&edition=2&ttl=20080416091213

mos dan

fact music
this is blowing up a bit on US hip hop sites, w/ people kinda dumbfounded... which i admit i am... i mean, Jay Z is arguably the most famous rapper alive and if you polled 100 people in the street in any city in say, the midwest, maybe 2 would know who Noel Gallagher is... i guess maybe it's different if people don't know his stuff there, but in the US, EVERYONE under 35 knows "hard knock life", "big pimpin", "give it to me", "crazy in love", and is at least familiar w/ tons of his other stuff, as every bar/club in the US has played this stuff to death for 10 years, to the point that even people who weren't big fans would enjoy seeing him... also, haven't they had hip hop acts at Glastonbury since De La Soul/PE days?

so much crap being talked on that bbc link, even more than the guardian (300 comments and counting, sheez). gallagher is a twat, clearly. i don't think jigga has quite the reach in the uk he has in the us, but still.. it's a global pop culture ffs! play 'big pimpin' in any bar in the uk it would go off as much as it would in nyc, rio, joburg, paris, etc

one comment on plan b forums made me laugh: there was an editorial in the guardian about jay-z and someone said he imagined guardian readers reading the editorial in their head phonetically as "jay-zed?" ...LOL!

STN

sou'wester
Ha ha, that reminds me of going to see Ghost Dog (with RZA soundtrack) with my posh, jazz-loving mate, who came out of the cinema and said: 'the soundtrack was really good, I must check out some Ar Zed Ay'.

STN

sou'wester
Not to mention my best mate's grandad who enquired as to why we were all so interested in McHammer.

luka

As a newbie to this forum I can see that there are some things I'm going to need to learn a whole lot more about. I've already ordered a book on Badiou so that just leaves hip-hop. ;)

Can anyone suggest ONE track I should listen to to get me started....

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: