BOOGIE - a discussion

carlos

manos de piedra
ZZ Top's "La Grange" is total boogie (channeling if not ripping off john lee hooker) -

in fact- the guitar riff in "La Grange" (john lee hooker's really) is what i automatically think of when i hear the word "boogie"

and AC/DC's "whole lotta rosie" and "let there be rock" would perhaps qualify as boogie also-

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Most of what AC/DC did Bon Scott era can be classed as HEAVY Boogie or derived thereof. Interestingly they became more of a METAL band once they went to the UK, and totally embraced that after Scott's death. In fact the 4/4 beat prevalent in disco appears in alot of AC/DC's early stuff, just turn up the bass woofer in 'It's a long way' and its fucking well 'doof doofing'!!!! :cool:

Michael Jackson 'Blame it on the boogie'

When you think about it 'boogie' is sonically (and on the innerlectyule level) the most equal opportunity music form there is! The most purely anarchistic musical form there is!

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
avant-boogie: Captain Beefheart (refiled from a previous post); Neil Michael Hagerty (Royal Trux, Howling Hex)

intelligent-boogie: Sluts N' Strings & 909; Soft Pink Truth

micro-boogie: Newcleus; Cybotron

uber-boogie: DJ Assault; Detroit Grand Pubahs

ambient-boogie: Pigeonhed

post-boogie: Electronicat

why-haven't-they-recorded-a-song-with-boogie-in-the-title: Stereolab

blissblogger

henry s said:
why-haven't-they-recorded-a-song-with-boogie-in-the-title: Stereolab

the first time i interviewed stereolab i went down to their house and tim played a load of records, naturally, and one of them was Canned Heat's "on the road again", tim said he loved the droney-raga-trance feel of that song and wanted the Lab to do a kind of avant-boogie track

grunge-boogie -- there's a track on Nevermind that is punk-boogie, really good
and all those groups like soundgarden and alice in chains had a bit of a doom-boogie thing going on in there i think

PeteUM

It's all grist
carlos said:
ZZ Top's "La Grange" is total boogie (channeling if not ripping off john lee hooker) -

in fact- the guitar riff in "La Grange" (john lee hooker's really) is what i automatically think of when i hear the word "boogie"

and AC/DC's "whole lotta rosie" and "let there be rock" would perhaps qualify as boogie also-

Yeah. That urgent, heavy, funky, riffy kinda thing. La Grange! :p