Lethal B & the Test - icicles start Camden riot!

DJL

i'm joking
That Test-Icicles remix was proper shit. Grime and rock together on the same bill though seems to work which is interesting. Lethal B does seem to garner kudos amongst the mainstream indie crowd (ie. the NME).

killuridols

Change the game
Diggedy Derek said:
It's not LOL, at all actually. Dissensus' music section is for music writing, and "it was an amazing/crazy event to bring the genres/fans together" doesn't really fall into that category, you're just advertising your blog writing.

In fact, in your blog you say "all true grime heads know that ‘Fire’ is a pile of pants". I don't know this tune, and I'm a true grime head. I'm not convinced you know what your talking about to be honest, Killyridols, there's very little discussion of Lethal's music on your blog and a whole lot of PR speak.

If you've got something to say about the event, say it here, and leave the link to your blog as your signature. That's what I reckon anyway.

Obviously not every one on Dissensus will have attended the event, I provided the link to my styleslut blog so people could check out the review and pics and at least get a feel of what the event was like. The gig was an interesting mix and the atmosphere was worthy of my riot title. I wont mention my blog without good reason, the lethal/test - icicles event could be the start of an important movement. I will inform the good music fans on this forum of anything that may be of interest to them on my blog, isn't the net all about sharing information? If you dont like it dont read it!

Also try to hear a track before you comment on how good/bad it is. Fire is pure daytime radio fluff! As for the music, did I not mention that lethals performance was nothing short of amazing and talk in detail about the tracks he did?

D

droid

killuridols said:
Obviously not every one on Dissensus will have attended the event, I provided the link to my styleslut blog so people could check out the review and pics and at least get a feel of what the event was like. The gig was an interesting mix and the atmosphere was worthy of my riot title. I wont mention my blog without good reason, the lethal/test - icicles event could be the start of an important movement. I will inform the good music fans on this forum of anything that may be of interest to them on my blog, isn't the net all about sharing information? If you dont like it dont read it!

Also try to hear a track before you comment on how good/bad it is. Fire is pure daytime radio fluff! As for the music, did I not mention that lethals performance was nothing short of amazing and talk in detail about the tracks he did?

Personally, Ive no problem with a bit of self-promotion and blog-spamming now and then (though I think Derek has a good point regarding summarising instead of linking) - but, as your probably not aware, there have been ructions around here over this kind of posting of late, hence the addition of the Events/Releases/mixes subforum...

killuridols

Change the game
gumdrops said:
i really wish i saw this gig - the barfly is almost a perfect venue for grime

Most def, I thought the same thing.

Maybe bloc party and kano could do something next? They did a few shows together before bloc party were big, so it wouldn't be that surprising.

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
i really wish i saw this gig - the barfly is almost a perfect venue for grime
in what way ?
i've been there a few times and it struck me as a bit of a student disco really.

Noah Baby Food

Like I say, we played with 'em and Killa Kela in Leeds the other week. Crowd was typical Leeds indie crowd - pretty inanimate, "difficult" hairstyles etc. We consist of me MCing and my mate on a laptop. Killa Kela's a beatboxer with a live band. the promoter did a good job putting together a diverse line-up and it went off well.

few points i guess:

- TI aren't really indie, more noisy and screamy etc, but the press they've had would attract an indie crowd
- "indie scene" IS concerned with following fashion and looking cool, here in Leeds for sure. Some of the more open-minded cats are into grime, but it's a struggle. If the NME HAMMERED grime then trust me these kids would get into it, for better or worse...
- if artists from different genres get collaborating and this gets supported by promoters putting varied bills together, things could change
- if London "indie kids" get into grime then DAMN STRAIGHT the ones up here will eventually

And while we're on self promotion, come to see Cameo, JME, and L-Man and more at Our Thing in Leeds next Tuesday: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=2606 ...62 views, show a brother some love..hehe

gumdrops

mms said:
in what way ?
i've been there a few times and it struck me as a bit of a student disco really.

when the lights are out, it feels like a small (i.e. perfect for the 100 or so people that actually like grime in london), dingy (grime music is disgusting and horrible) and dark (grime never lets light seep through its dark, doomy, oh so grim exterior) shithole of a venue, all qualities i think suit grime quite nicely. or perhaps grime events should take place at the garage in islington. i think grime gigs should be held at more hole in the wall places.

killuridols

Change the game
gumdrops said:
when the lights are out, it feels like a small (i.e. perfect for the 100 or so people that actually like grime in london), dingy (grime music is disgusting and horrible) and dark (grime never lets light seep through its dark, doomy, oh so grim exterior) shithole of a venue, all qualities i think suit grime quite nicely. or perhaps grime events should take place at the garage in islington. i think grime gigs should be held at more hole in the wall places.

Its not that bad! I would describe it as intimate and full of atmosphere.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
gumdrops said:
when the lights are out, it feels like a small (i.e. perfect for the 100 or so people that actually like grime in london......

**looks for the photos of the Eskimo Dance at SE1 with 1500 people locked outside of the venue because it was full to capacity**

gumdrops

that was cheap-shot sarcasm

but anyway, id like to think that if eskimo dance was held again it would still draw such a big crowd but i do wonder.... its hard to gauge sometimes just how big the audience for grime really is

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I was slightly testy on this yesterday, so I apologise for being a bit short with killyridols. I slagged off a track that I don't even know. Sorry about being quite so hard.

For the record, I do still feel uneasy about posting a link to a blog article where not much effort has been made to write something here. If we all started new threads whenever we reviewed a gig on our blog, it'd get quite clogged around here. Perhaps a thread like this could have gone in the "grime - rumours etc" thread. It's worth considering.

As for the Barfly, I kinda concur it could be good for grime. I actually hate that venue for rock- it's crowded, I always end up hammered, it's awful. However for grime, this crowdedness might become a real vibe-generator.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
gumdrops said:
to be fair, lethal's 'fire' is that track that samples the spinners' its a shame that monie love used in the early 90s... and it IS a pile of pants!
Logan Sama said:
As generic and middle of the road as "Fire" was, it was infinitely better than the frankly dreadful attempt at remixing it the Test-Icicles made.
Geez, I figured there'd be all kinds of love for Fire (check the sample, DD). Just because it's accessable doesn't necessarily mean it's generic, LS. I started playing it out when I bought the 12" at the end of October and club-types are going crazy for it. I get enough requests for it that I'm playing it 3-4 times a night.

Can't be all bad, right?

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Chef Napalm said:
Geez, I figured there'd be all kinds of love for Fire (check the sample, DD). Just because it's accessable doesn't necessarily mean it's generic, LS. I started playing it out when I bought the 12" at the end of October and club-types are going crazy for it. I get enough requests for it that I'm playing it 3-4 times a night.

Can't be all bad, right?

I heard Fire playing in Superdrug {a chain of chemists shops in the Uk} the other day.They have specially recorded instore mixtapes which they play on rotation.I think it's a pretty decent crossover record and sounded fine in that context.

killuridols

Change the game
Tyro said:
I heard Fire playing in Superdrug {a chain of chemists shops in the Uk} the other day.They have specially recorded instore mixtapes which they play on rotation.I think it's a pretty decent crossover record and sounded fine in that context.

Inclusion on a superdrug mix tape: the first step to irrelevance.

martin

----
I feel cheated now. I thought this was going to be some hilarious story about a pirate station, operating from Prince of Wales Road, that played Lethal B and the Test-Icicles back to back, and inspired some bored kids to go and beat up Korn fans and toss screaming Japanese tourists into the murky depths of Camden Lock, before being driven back to Somers Town by riot cops.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
killuridols said:
Inclusion on a superdrug mix tape: the first step to irrelevance.

''Oi! Hater What You Laughing For? Your Skinny Arse Aint Even Through The Door!''

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
martin said:
I feel cheated now. I thought this was going to be some hilarious story about a pirate station, operating from Prince of Wales Road, that played Lethal B and the Test-Icicles back to back, and inspired some bored kids to go and beat up Korn fans and toss screaming Japanese tourists into the murky depths of Camden Lock, before being driven back to Somers Town by riot cops.

If this situation gets out of hand Forest Gate could be the venue for Londons next real life riot:

http://www.voice-online.net/content.php?show=8012&type=1

But if you can't wait for that I suggest that you hook up with these people:

http://c8.com/anathematician/lrrs.htm