jenks

thread death
What do you mean here, that he got less funny as he went on but bit by bit so no-one noticed?

In love with its self-importance and also its cleverness I would have said. I found that too much of a double-whammy to really enjoy the whole thing but yeah, I guess it was ambitious and that's got to be a good thing.

What would the book (of his) be where there are a couple and some kind of ghostly or imaginary child or something? I'm being pretty vague here I know but it was a while since I read it and I've no idea what it was called but I suspect you might.

I think he got less interested with wanting to be funny, which is a shame I think because White Noise is genuinely hilarious.

Is the book you are thinking of called Players? I might be wrong about that but it vaguely rings a bell from way back.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't know, Players doesn't ring a bell to be honest. I'll do some internet research.
I think you're right about less desire to be funny, I certainly didn't feel that Underworld was trying to make me laugh and failing, I almost had a sense that it was a book that considered itself too important to waste time with humour. Is that fair?

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, if anyone cares it was Tthe Body Artist from 2001

In The Body Artist, DeLillo tells the hallucinatory tale of performance artist Lauren Hartke in the days following the suicide of her husband, filmmaker Rey Robles. Finishing out their lease of a rented house on the coast, living in a self-imposed exile, Lauren discovers a mysterious man in the bedroom upstairs who is able to repeat -- verbatim -- entire conversations she had with her husband before his death but does not seem to know his own name or where he came from.
The question remains open as to whether or not the strange man (whom Lauren affectionately names Mr. Tuttle, after an English teacher of hers, when she finds him upstairs) exists at all, or if he is merely a figment of her imagination. But Mr. Tuttle's origins are entirely beside the point. He has no origins. He defies description. He is neither old nor young. "Maybe this man experiences another kind of reality where he is here and there, before and after." And leave it to DeLillo to connect this enigma to the Internet. There is a live, 24-hour web site Lauren enjoys viewing: It shows an empty road in Kotka, Finland. Occasionally a car drives by or a person crosses the screen, but generally nothing happens. Lauren is fascinated by the notion that across the globe, at this very moment, this is happening, an episode "real enough to withstand the circumstance of nothing going on." This may also be the best way to describe The Body Artist, a book in which "it all happens around the word seem."

bruno

est malade
my underworld experience was so traumatic i've avoided him entirely (shame, really).

i'm halfway through my first italo calvino, baron in the trees. i think he's set to become a favourite!

N

nomadologist

calvino is wonderful. you should try "if on a winter's night a traveler", "cosmicomics", "invisible cities"...anything by him, really.

petergunn

plywood violin
I think it is interesting that you both pick up on the humour in White Noise because i feel that is precisely what has leeched out of DeLillo's work. I really enjoyed Underworld but it was quite clearly in love with its own self importance. It was avowedly a 'big book' (like Franzen's the Corrections) and i really admire its ambition.

I tend to like Mao II and Libra, i thought the two slender works he has produced since Underworld - The Body Artist and Cosmopolis really aren't up to much by comparison.

Underworld is funny as hell, when you realize the best Lenny Bruce riffs in it are written by Delillo!

the thing is with Delillo, his books are veyr much tied into his obsessions with culture and subcultures... w/ Mao II, with the moonie wedding, i was immediately bored... wheras, w/ Cosmopolis, i was kinda interested to see what he would do w/ more present day stuff... some of it works, some it seems like an old guy grasping at straws, but i'm still interested...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Underworld is funny as hell, when you realize the best Lenny Bruce riffs in it are written by Delillo!"
I idly wondered if those bits were real of if DeLillo made them up - didn't find them in the slightest bit funny though.
As an aside, one of the people at my work just stopped to chat about White Noise which was lying on my desk. Apparently she studied it at university and loved it but she's never been able to get in to Underworld.

Yeah, If On A Winters... is a very enjoyable read. Never read any of his others though, what should I go for?

petergunn

plywood violin
I idly wondered if those bits were real of if DeLillo made them up - didn't find them in the slightest bit funny though.

:(

do you like lenny bruce?

As an aside, one of the people at my work just stopped to chat about White Noise which was lying on my desk. Apparently she studied it at university and loved it but she's never been able to get in to Underworld.

everybody studied "white noise" at school, b/c underworld is too fucking long to read for a class! they even print a "study guide" in the back of some editions...

i feel really sad no one can get into to underworld as it is the only EPIC novel written in the last 40 years that i think is any good... tho, i wanna give some of those long William T. Vollman books a chance, as i've liked all the shorter things (novels and articles) i;ve read by him...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"do you like lenny bruce?"
To be honest I don't know much about him.

"everybody studied "white noise" at school, b/c underworld is too fucking long to read for a class!"
Yeah, I'm just beginning to realise that. My brother did American Studies or something and it was White Noise and The Crying of Lot 49 not Underworld and Gravity's Rainbow. Spoken to a few people about this kind of thing and the pattern seems to continue.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i'm halfway through my first italo calvino, baron in the trees. i think he's set to become a favourite!

'baron in the trees' is ace- proper narrative shocker!
the concept of 'if on a winter's...' is also fantastic, but the book itself lets the idea(s) down a little, i felt- the sort of book my girlfriend tells me i read to feel clever.
for once i kind of agreed with her ;)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
No novels at the moment - but

"Orwell in Tribune". Orwell's wartime columns (has an excellent piece on peerages for cash from 1942 or thereabouts and among a big range of subjects there's a piece on made-up languages - Orwell mentioning Interglossa).

"A Barthes reader" - not sure about Barthes at all. Picked it up after reading that Alain De Botton had his eyes opened by reading Barthes (and Alain seems to be a very nice man; although being born into great wealth must be a liberation and give you a lot of time to write about travel and happiness). I mostly want to shut my eyes when reading Barthes though - and most of the essays seem quite obvious (although embedded in convoluted language - a contrast to the clarity of Orwell) maybe this was cutting edge when it was written?) ...

"Tooth and Claw" - T C Boyle short stories. A great read.

"True tales of American Life" - real stories edited by Paul Auster. Not a great read, but most of the stories are just 2-4 pages - ideal to pick up when a bit knackered (instead of Barthes then).

"No Limit Hold'Em. Theory and Practice" - Sklansky/Miller. Played cards since I was kid so some much needed input for my weekly card game.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
No novels at the moment - but

"Tooth and Claw" - T C Boyle short stories. A great read.

TC Boyle is great... def. a little looney, sometimes a little lightweight, but always really really readable... if i had a surley 14 year old niece, i would buy them some TC Boyle books...

withnail

Just finished Searching For John Ford, a rather large biography of the director, by Charles McBride. The research involved and the detailed revelations of every aspect of Ford's life are fascinating, although a tougher editor would have helped in places. I don't think McBride quite has a handle on the irascible coot's move from left(ish) to right, from Grapes Of Wrath to The Bamboo Cross. Nor do I feel very confident with his analysis or understanding of the films - Scott Eyman and Lindsey Anderson do better in that regard. Nevertheless, it has made me go back and watch all those Ford films, which is not a bad result. Managed to find a DVD of his 1917 silent Bucking Broadway. Unfortunate that most of his early silents don't exist anymore.

IdleRich

IdleRich
""True tales of American Life" - real stories edited by Paul Auster. Not a great read, but most of the stories are just 2-4 pages - ideal to pick up when a bit knackered (instead of Barthes then)."
That's an interesting collection, varied quality of course but worth reading. I kind of liked the way (not spoiling it) that the very last one is deliberately the most Auster-ish one. He must have loved it when he got sent that one.

Dial

Seeking some insight and balance in a burgeoning romance with a decidedly unbookish and prada pimped Japanese woman, ( to caricature) I've finally begun to read a book which has been sitting on my bookshelf for some time: Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata. Book and woman alike are a little strange. The book wonderfully so.

On a more general tip: It's a little naive to say it yet again, but its extraordinary the way books bleed out to color and inflect the world beyond as one reads, and, conversely, how the world beyond inflects one's reading. And perhaps most extraordinary, how much more powerful the book often is in the equation.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, it's disgusting
when you lose
control, but my
wilderness is love

of a kind, no?
And the purity
of my confusion is
there, it's poetry

in love with you
along with me,
both of us love you
in the same "My!"

Yes, but don't be
scared; poetry
is intangible and
there's no purity

in me
outside of love,
which you can easily wreck
and I can lose.

Clouds pass in
my notorious eye
but you, through
all, I see.

- F O'H

[Dedicated, via me, to Gonch and Mandy.]

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just started reading Lolita which I've never read before and I'm loving. I don't know why but for some reason I was under the misapprehension that it was about a man helplessly trying to bolster his conscience in a battle against feelings that he knew were wrong - far from it, there is definitely no battle going on and he embraces his feelings wholeheartedly. I was imagining a pathetic and ineffectual character who sinned despite himself, not someone who acknowledged his urges and pulled strings so that he could do what he wanted. I reckon I just assumed that someone called Humbert had to be completely ineffectual.
Also, I never knew it was going to be so funny, the narrative style reminds me of Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts and Coronets where he has such delicious fun devising his relatives' downfall, except in this he is of course planning the seduction of a twelve year old girl. Wonder how it's all going to turn out....
Other books in the last couple of weeks: Jay McInery - The Story of My Life (not too keen on this, reminded me of Bret Easton Ellis but not so witty), Margaret Atwood - Cat's Eye (can anyone recommend more of hers, totally different from what I normally read but great), Don Delillo - Cosmopolis (pretty funny but read too many of his recently) and Chuck Palahniuk - Rant (this was great, MILES better than any of his other things that I've read).

sufi

lala
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 21 March 2007 17:21
Subject: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (20 of 65)

---------------
LICENSE
You are reading Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow.
This book is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 1.0.
Click here to view the license
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/legalcode
---------------

CHAPTER 4 (CONT'D)

My plan had covered every conceivable detail, except one...
i get 1 portion emailed to me every couple of days from these people http://www.dailylit.com/books/down-and-out-in-the-magic-kingdom,
seems like an innovative & very accessible way to digest a novel which i'm totally enjoying so big up & thanks boingboing massive