empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Just started on Tevis' Mockingbird based on (mumble mumble's) recommendation. Only 18 pages in so far but my interest is fully piqued. My antennae are wriggling. (?)

bastowe

... My Antonia by Willa Cather.

Am thoroughly enjoying the latter - would have made a good Dissensus book club read.

I read The Professor's House by Cather not too terribly long ago and was absolutely besotted. One of the most perfect little novels I've ever read.

Immryr

just bought atomised by houellebecq today, i'm only a few pages in so far and haven't made any opinions.

bastowe

What kind of thing are these then? Tell me more.

Hm, that's a bit tricky...Maybe...Cather was mostly concerned with life in the American hinterland, the frontiers, etc. in the first half of the 20th century. She had an incredible way with atmosphere, a way of giving her characters great depth without actually seeming to, and a lot of her books had a story within the story. The Professor's House is my favorite thus far, it's about a History Professor at a Midwestern University who is in the process of moving from the dilapidated house he's lived in with his family for years into a newer, posher house. Hardly the stuff of drama but really, it's so incredibly emotionally rich and sophisticated and often quite funny--she had a sharp eye and no time whatsoever for pretention. She's without a doubt one of our finest writers and her books have a way of lingering on and on and on.

Ok that was a totally crappy introduction to her but in a nutshell: she was fucking brilliant.

Oh, and Death Comes for the Archbishop is amazing.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson...after hours in Foyles yesterday reluctantly went for this. I say reluctantly because I'm fickle and put off by covers that I hate and I hate this one, not wishing to pick up a 'film book' tie-in - but it is very good 38 pages in. The 'hero' is of English-German stock and has blue eyes...so Will Smith was an obvious choice then...:slanted:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, hush! Will Smith can do ANYTHING!!! Have you not seen Independence Robot? *And* we was Muhammed Ali.

ripley

Got this Street of Crocodiles thing yesterday and I'm half way through it now. Very interesting, I don't see the Kafka similarities though although I'm prepared to accept that as I'm in a minority of one I might just possibly be wrong. Just noticed you mentioned Gabriel Garcia Marquez and I have to agree on that, very similar in feel and the matter of fact descriptions of peculiar events.

I love that book. Saw the Theatre du complicite put on a show based on it in London years ago. I cried like mad.

The same theater company introduced me to Daniil Kharms - more absurdist than Schulz, but also a favorite of mine now. If like you dark nonsense, he's pretty great - The Man In The Black Coat was the collection I had but I think there's a newer translation out that's meant to be better.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Hm, that's a bit tricky...Maybe...Cather was mostly concerned with life in the American hinterland, the frontiers, etc.."
"The same theater company introduced me to Daniil Kharms - more absurdist than Schulz, but also a favorite of mine now. If like you dark nonsense, he's pretty great - The Man In The Black Coat was the collection I had but I think there's a newer translation out that's meant to be better."
Thanks, both sound good, will check out.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Got this Street of Crocodiles thing yesterday and I'm half way through it now. Very interesting, I don't see the Kafka similarities though although I'm prepared to accept that as I'm in a minority of one I might just possibly be wrong. Just noticed you mentioned Gabriel Garcia Marquez and I have to agree on that, very similar in feel and the matter of fact descriptions of peculiar events.

Glad you are enjoying it. I think when you get closer to the end, the Kafka-esque-ness may become more evident.

Engrossed in this Mockingbird book, thanks Polystyle Desu.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just started reading Institute Benjamenta by Robert Walser - actually, I say just started but it's very short so I've almost finished it as well. I'm hoping that it will help me understand the film of the same name that bamboozled me a couple of years ago although to be honest so far there isn't that much of a resemblance, it seems as if the film was more of an "inspired by" than a literal adaptation.
I'm enjoying this thread. I mentioned to one of my friends (actually, more like a friend of a friend really) when I was reading that Street of Crocodiles thing and described it and she expressed an interest in it so I'm going to lend it to her - she won't know that ultimately (or maybe not ultimately but previously or something) her reading it is entirely down to some guy or girl I've never met (Empty Mirror) mentioning it on a message board.
Similarly I've invested in the Daniil Kharms book that Ripley recommended - just kind of following the links in this thread leads off in interesting semi-related directions.

Immryr

im reading the magic mountain by thomas mann at the moment. im really, really enjoying it so far - only about 100 pages in though.

i still have so much catching up to do on classics, it will be forever before i am at the stage of recommending stuff to people that isnt already widely known as that, im sure.

STN

sou'wester
'The Gipsy's Baby'; a collection of short stories by Rosamund Lehmann. Very good.

Her translation of 'Les Enfants Terribles' is ace too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Started La-Bas by J.K Huysmans, seems very readable so far although not too much has happened. Here's what it says on the back:

"The classic tale of Satanism and sexual obsession in nineteenth century Paris. Strong meat for diseased minds."
Sounds promising I reckon.

STN

sou'wester
Started La-Bas by J.K Huysmans, seems very readable so far although not too much has happened. Here's what it says on the back:

Sounds promising I reckon.

It's a great book. There are some rather boring bits in which the author shows off his knowledge of bell-ringing or something but it's one of the few novels that I have bothered to read twice (ooh, look at me!).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's a great book. There are some rather boring bits in which the author shows off his knowledge of bell-ringing or something but it's one of the few novels that I have bothered to read twice (ooh, look at me!)."
I thought that this was the sort of book that you would be well up on. I've no problem with bell-ringing, when I was growing up some of my friends were into it (I lived in a very small and boring village) and I went up and watched them doing it sometimes - actually that was pretty boring now I come to think of it. One of them got a huge tattoo of a bell on his leg (and one of a cup of tea on the other).

jenks

thread death
Really loved La-Bas, thought it really captured soemthing rather beautiful and fragile with great skill - it leads to Proust which is no bad thing!