nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag

I was just looking through this pdf list thinking "boy this looks just like our reading list from Aras Ozgun's Digital Media Theory class at the New School"! Then I realized it was his site.

I started a thread a long time ago where I tried to up most of these (and failed to finish doing so) while I was in that class, but this site makes it all so much easier.

Good find!

craner

Beast of Burden
I've just been reading Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence. I actually got to page 236 before coming to with a sharp shudder and throwing it into The River.

craner

Beast of Burden
In a way, it's a shame, because I was looking forward to the chapter entitled 'Russia's Sharp Elbows'. Anyway, back to Hamlet...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Steve Jones' In The Blood, which was an unsolicited present but a fortuitous one, as it's about time I boned up on genetics a bit, given how much the subject gets discussed on here. I could have bought something by Dawkins, I suppose, but after the last couple of weeks on Dissensus I'm not sure I even want to hear his name mentioned for the next decade or two.

Last edited:

polystyle

The Southern Road

Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron.
Bowie On Berlin by Thomas Jerome 'Newton' um make that Seabrook.

Nice account of ruin hunting in Niya via Thubron,
some new info and detail in Seabrook's stories about recording of Iggy's The Idiot,
Bowie's Low, Heroes and Lodger.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Camp Concentration - Thomas M. Disch

Welcome To Mars - Ken Hollings

Are We Alone? The Stanley Kubrick Extraterrestrial-Intelligence Interviews

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just read Remainder by Tom McCarthy, really excellent. McCarthy is an artist and I was expecting the novel to experiment a lot with form but it doesn't really do that, it kind of reminds me of Murakami or something in its matter of factness but I would say that there is more to it than to the average Murakami tale. It's about a guy who suffers some kind of unexplained accident and receives a settlement of eight and a half million pounds but who feels detached from the world. The least detached he feels is a moment of deja vu when he sees a crack in a bathroom wall and this leads him to spend his fortune on recreating a certain half remembered house that he may or may not have lived in and paying people to constantly re-enact the things that he remembers happening such as frying liver so that he can smell it in his room and practising the piano in certain ways. He then stages further enactments of events that occur either to him or in the press and the book gets really quite odd with numerous bits where his minions repeat scenes for him again and again in slow motion and in various other ways. There's lots to it and it's really readable and fun, definitely going to check out his other book.

http://www.shorttermmemoryloss.com/words/2005/11/about-accident-itself-i-can-say-very.html

Now reading The Golem by Meyrink which is also very good.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Steve Jones' In The Blood, which was an unsolicited present but a fortuitous one, as it's about time I boned up on genetics a bit, given how much the subject gets discussed on here. I could have bought something by Dawkins, I suppose, but after the last couple of weeks on Dissensus I'm not sure I even want to his name mentioned for the next decade or two. ;)

Was this any good? Should I buy it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hell, yeah. That is his best novel, though people try to be contrary and say it isn't.
Funny but when I was reading it (finished now) I was thinking "This is a very STN book" although I don't know exactly what I mean by that.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Am 80 pages into Lord Jim - not sure what i feel about it although I know there is much love for Conrad round these parts.
I'm at about the same stage now.

I don't know much about Conrad - is the standard reading of him as someone writing orientalism or as someone writing about orientalism? It seems like his writing about Africa and his Asia is more about the images of Africa and Asia in the western psyche than about the actual people and places, but I'm not sure whether that's just wishful thinking on my part and I'm just trying to rationalize away the fact that he's piling on the orientalist cliches...

2666.jpg

This book has been a rewarding struggle. Certainly my favorite author of the past few years, its a shame Bolano had to pass. But this is quite the last will and testament.

An Epic literary achievement.

STN

sou'wester

I don't know much about Conrad - is the standard reading of him as someone writing orientalism or as someone writing about orientalism? It seems like his writing about Africa and his Asia is more about the images of Africa and Asia in the western psyche than about the actual people and places, but I'm not sure whether that's just wishful thinking on my part and I'm just trying to rationalize away the fact that he's piling on the orientalist cliches...

Nowadays, interpretation does tend towards the latter, and I am inclined to agree. I'm not an enormous fan of his, so I hope it's not just me trying to justify someone I like.

jenks

thread death

I have just started Nostromo mainly because the final 100 pages of Lord Jim were so good. I don't know if he can be accused solely of Orientalism - i know Said comments on Conrad but cannot remember what he said now. I think for many, Conard would have been the first writer to bring these palces to life for the Edwardians. And he makes it quite clear that he has little time for the adventurers who sytematically exploit the locals.

As I said upthread, I think, Conrad is a huge gap in my reading - only The Secret Sharer, Heart of Darkenss and The Secret Agent until recently.

I mainly started reading him because of my great affection for Ford Madox Ford and for the fact he lived just up the road in Stanford-leHope ( the most unorientalist town possible, I feel).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I read Heart Of Darkness recently, really enjoyed it - had to laugh out loud at one point, though, where a very serious and portentous paragraph ended with speculation as to whether there would be "fisticuffs". Couldn't help comparing it to Apocalypse Now as I read it. Re. the "Is he an Orientalist (or 'Africanist') or is he documenting others' Orientalism?" debate, I found there's a strange kind of tension in Conrad's politics in the book because while I think it's pretty clear that he does regard the Africans in the story as basically savages, somewhere intermediate in development between animals and 'proper' humans, he is obviously also very uncomfortable with their exploitation and maltreatment by the European colonialists.

There's another couple of short-ish stories in the volume I bought, which I plan to read at some point.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
I want to be, like, totally obsessed with Conrad, but I have only read HOD. I tried reading Nostromo 6 years ago, but somehow fell off 300 or so pages into it. I am going to try again. I have Lord Jim taunting me from my bookshelf, along with the Nigger of Narcissus (will have to read the latter rather discreetly on the train, I think).

I am very nearly done Infinite Jest. I kinda want to savor the last 60 pages, but I also want to just destroy it in one sitting. And then I will smoke the book in the old bong...