The demise of rock

shudder

re: 2stepfan & blissblogger's points:

I can't say much about the super young'uns today, but I'm 22, and when I was growing up, i had EXACTLY that kind of crazy belief/investment in a band, thinking they were really innovative and pushing music forward, etc. Of course that was Radiohead,.. maybe they were the last of the crazy huge belief bands??

O

Omaar

Are we talking about the social or aesthetic death of a genre here, cos I reckon there's a big difference there and I think people are confusing the two.

Saying that are particular genre is aesthetically dead implies, as has been mentioned above, the idea that all genres progress in some way, or towards something.

zhao

there are no accidents
Buick6 said:
Just face it, it's all these ultra-sensitive C86/electronic fey-robot-sexuality types who always try to bring rock down and always fail.

Get over it and just accept that rock sounds, is played better, has more feeling, is naturally more popular and basically ROCKS more than the nose-picking-introsepctive crap you're used to listening to and champion as some sort of failed alternative to the dominant paradigm.

Oh, and hiphop is the NEW ROCk by the way! :cool:

Buick, your mouth writin' checks your ass can't cash. why are you making these absurd assumptions about me?

what do you know about my extensive experience and total love and devotion for rock'n'roll? from New Orleans Soul-Gospel to German Prog, from 60s psych to Improvised-Metal?

but no matter how much I love this music, it does not blind me to the fact that most of its possibilities have been exhausted and used up. I love Baroque Chamber music too but am under no delusion that it is alive and well.

you "rock'n'roll will never die" types are the ones that are acting old and conservative, desperately holding on to the soundtrack of your youth. I bet you have a beer-belly.

Last edited: