Request for a separate mixes forum

john eden

male pale and stale
WOEBOT said:
(msg to Jon- could this thread go in the Misc forum? Just a thought.....feel free to ignore me)

Woo! More modding buttons to press! :cool:

Yeah, actually I thought it should have gone in misc immediately after I moved it. Ooops.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Didn't some of the people now calling for a separate Mixes forum object to the idea of a separate Events/ Mixes forum in the first place on the grounds that there was no problem with this material being in the Music forum? Because it definitely did not - in no way - clog things up. Are they now accepting that many events announcements are spam? :)

A further point is that it is a shame that the board is so dominated by Music. (Contrary to HM Govt's snarky observation above, it is the LACK of posts on Badiou etc that is the problem atm). A further Mixes forum would mean, in effect, three Music fora - far too many.

jenks

thread death
agree with kpunk on this one -

the music heavy nature of this board seems to be having its effects on the lit etc forum where traffic can be mighty slow compared to music (just check out the views, let alone actual replies)

- ok it could be argued that this reflects what people are interested in but we suffered the merging of the arts into a single forum and the expansion of mixes into a discrete thread seems a forum too far

D

droid

k-punk said:
Didn't some of the people now calling for a separate Mixes forum object to the idea of a separate Events/ Mixes forum in the first place on the grounds that there was no problem with this material being in the Music forum?

Assumming yer referring to me there with that dig - and as I mentioned upthread:

droid said:
I was totally against this sub-forum to begin with - but - as its here, I think the best way forward is further segregation. The mixes here just get lost in a sea of events threads

This is the next logical response to what (I consider) to be a non-ideal situation which I opposed the development of in the first place.

Because it definitely did not - in no way - clog things up. Are they now accepting that many events announcements are spam? :)

I was originally objecting to the mixes being lumped in with so called 'spam'. I dont believe I ever claimed anything on behalf of either the 'events' or 'grime' variety. As it stands at the moment, the 'Event/Mixes' forum has basically become a handy place to spam events - and as a result, the amount of 'events spam' has multiplied.

As for all the talk of 'clogging things up' - clog what up? This place is half dead at the mo, and ironically enough, the most consistently active threads are the grime threads - which, despite being the original target of the spam purges, have escaped any kind of censure and remain up on Music...

A further Mixes forum would mean, in effect, three Music fora - far too many.

Hang on - werent you the person who claimed that 'mixes werent music', and should therefore be moved last time round? :D

WOEBOT said:
Yeah I'm with this I'm afraid. Just for simplicity's sake. I mean, how difficult is it really to cock a snook at the Events/Realeases/Mixes forum and hook out a mix?

I agree its easy to find a mix there if you know its there, but, if you call something spam, itll be treated like spam - and the end result is that no one comments on the mixes, and they vanish in a slew of 0 reply events posts..

But - Thats cool. Thanks for considering it anyway... :cool:

nomos

Administrator
I wouldn't mind it but I see the point in not doing it too. I actually never look in the 'everything else' forum because it's so cluttered with event promotion. I'm pretty sure I'm missing good mixes though.

It was nice a while back when regular Dissensusers would post a mix that they'd worked on lovingly (e.g. 'Lyricmaker') and we'd chat about them. Same with radio events like 'Londonunderlondon.'

Not sure what to do about it and I don't want to debate it like last time. That was depressing.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
droid said:
As for all the talk of 'clogging things up' - clog what up? This place is half dead at the mo, and ironically enough, the most consistently active threads are the grime threads - which, despite being the original target of the spam purges, have escaped any kind of censure and remain up on Music...

The 'too many grime threads' issue was separate from the grime spam issue... The too many issue would be resolved by less threads, not moving grime into another forum... The general deadness of the board atm is not unrelated to the preponderance of grime threads of course...

droid said:
Hang on - werent you the person who claimed that 'mixes werent music', and should therefore be moved last time round? :D

Well I argued that they were not leading to any interesting discussion... but one easily ignorable forum is a different matter to a proliferation of such zero-discussion zones...

nomos

Administrator
k-punk said:
Didn't some of the people now calling for a separate Mixes forum object to the idea of a separate Events/ Mixes forum in the first place on the grounds that there was no problem with this material being in the Music forum? Because it definitely did not - in no way - clog things up. Are they now accepting that many events announcements are spam? :)

I might be guilty here, but I've never liked the event announcements. They're either about things far away that another board somewhere else probably caters to, or they're for London meet-ups that no one else cares about and a couple of phone calls could have sorted out. I say ghettoize announcements in a sticky in E, R & M. Maybe ghettoize radio rips too. Let the mixes breathe.

Pehaps there could be a 'Featured Mixes' thread (not sticky) in Music that only moderators could post to for the sorts of things I mentioned above. That might be trouble though.

Last edited:
D

droid

autonomicforthepeople said:
I say ghettoize announcements in a sticky in E, R & M. Maybe ghettoize radio rips too. Let the mixes breathe.

Pehaps there could be a 'Featured Mixes' thread (not sticky) in Music that only moderators could post to for the sorts of things I mentioned above. That might be trouble though.

Ah - Ce la vie. Its not really worth the grief...

After all - theres plenty of other places where good mixes are welcomed, so I guess the best thing to do isnt to harp on about it here - but just post them there instead... :cool:

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
possible solution...

come on droid... keep posting yr mixes here... they are appreciated (allthough I too have been guilty of the no comment scenario).

can you think of a good keyword we could put in the title of mix posts so it would be easier to search for them without getting 1000 music posts with the word mix in them popping up? like maybe djmix as one word or something more imaginative.

good idea? bad idea?

probably the latter but what do you think?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I personally don't think a new forum is really needed; personally, I check through the mixes quite a lot, and find loads of good stuff there. People with patience should have patience finding their way to the mixes surely- it's not that complicated.

sufi

lala
might it be possible and/or desirable to makes downloads of mixes members only?
pls discuss :)

maybe should we sticky mixes on request ?

icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

john eden

male pale and stale
sufi said:
might it be possible and/or desirable to makes downloads of mixes members only?
pls discuss :)

maybe should we sticky mixes on request ?

icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon5.gif

Stickying mixes on request gets you into a whole world of trouble.

I.e. yes we can sticky mixes we like, but as moderators that gets you into accusations of cronyism. I certainly don't have time to listen to all the mixes on here even if I wanted to. Plus I tend to favour mixes by people I know anyway! :D

Dunno how you would make downloads members only? You could make the whole events/mixes forum viewable by members only I think?

sufi

lala
I.e. yes we can sticky mixes we like, but as moderators that gets you into accusations of cronyism. I certainly don't have time to listen to all the mixes on here even if I wanted to. Plus I tend to favour mixes by people I know anyway!
yeah
i thought about that
i thought we could sticky the most recent 5 or 10 mixes (on request by the poster, i spose), removing 1 each time we add a new one, just to keep em at the top of the page...
still, much better if they stay up there just by virtue of people posting thanks & praise for the DL

Dunno how you would make downloads members only? You could make the whole events/mixes forum viewable by members only I think?
i been frequenting a couple of arabic forums where they have systems for this:
1 site has mp3 downloads that are only visible to registered users. they are uploaded onto the site as attachments tho, & there's no controls over hotlinks (http://demna.com), i doubt dissensus wants 100s of megs of attachments tho...

then this site is more controlled still (http://uae4mp3.com): threads are only visible to members, then a lot of exclusive tracks are only available if you add a reply to the thread...
goodness knows how all the techy bits of uae4mp3/sout imaraat work, but if they can do it........
just some thoughts like.....

D

droid

Good suggestions Sufi - but i think a members only section would simply limit the amount of feedback even more. Im happy to leave things as is. I dont like the fact that mixes are treated like spam around here, and DJs by extension, purveyors of spam. There are people here doing some very nice work, and Ive found the mixes on Dissensus to be of a generally higher scope and quality to be found elsewhere...

But hey - thats life - theres more important things to be worrying about :)

droid said:
After all - theres plenty of other places where good mixes are welcomed, so I guess the best thing to do isnt to harp on about it here - but just post them there instead...

That came out wayyy huffier than I intended. Yis wont see the back of me that easily! :rolleyes: