bad brains

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

Eric

Mr Moraigero
ripley said:
Are there any other tunes (especially jungle) that sampled Bad Brains? .

don't know anything in jungle/grime etc but there is a recent Saul Williams track that samples Supertouch. I forget the name but it's on the self-titled album that came out earlier this year. Its pretty great actually.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
all this and no mention of the Dead Kennedys? For shame!

I've always enjoyed 'Frankenchrist'

edit: ok, they're not really hardcore, but God that shit is fun

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Damn, I've really wanted to hear Bad Brains since, like, 1983 or something, but they never quite made it to the top of the record buying list.

Leo's description of Bad Brains live is the best thing I've read on Dissensus in a month. Absolutely mental, I was right there with you.

Other HC bands I liked: Suicidal Tendencies if only for Institutionalised.

I always thought The Minutemen were over-rated (and Husker Du for that matter, apart from a couple of tunes like Could You Be The One) -- well, I never quite got them anyway.

Gonna start about a thread about Black Flag now...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Seen em twice, absolutley mental - only Henry R tops them for NRG - still play their stuff at least once a month..."I'm sailing, I'm moving on..."

matt b

Indexing all opinion
was thinking about comparable bands a little over the weekend (woah!). i would suggest:

swiz- dc h/c, like a cross between bad brains and dag nasty

fury- another dc supergroup. only did one 7" but bwoy its good, nay essential.

skullkontrol- featuring members of above. sample one of their songs here: http://www.southern.com/southern/band/SKULK/19195.html

los crudos- raging spanish hardcore. very angry and righteous

hard to swallow- 90s uk h/c supergroup. very technical (and shouty)

Last edited:

telluride11

Leo around when was this when you saw BB? sounds so ill man...

for the og poster
roir is the best, rock for light is a shitty retread (still a great record but the recording was sped up and the guitars sound too thin. get the og mix), i against i and quickness shoul not be ignored...great punk/funk mashups. all the old demo recordings are great too. i dunno if id say theyre psychofunk because its still rhythm guitar hardcore but yeah you cant go wrong with the bad brains...i think ill listen to em now

thees a lot of great nyhc but if youre looking for stuff on the same funky vibe try some underdog..a little different but a classic

boosted

As for the recollections of seeing their live show I'll do you all one better. Back in the late '80's while I was in college in Pittsburgh, HR and the BadBrains rolled through town for a wicked show. Afterwards they all came over our house and partied the night away. HR wound up buying an old trumpet off of a friend of mine and ran around the house blowing on it all night ... and he had no skills on that thing... don't think he ever played trumpet before in his life. Didn't stop him from getting all mental though and acting like some deranged tower of power member.

Anyone ever hear the early HR soul and reggae solo albums he did right after Rock for Light? I've long since lost my copy of that e.p. but would love to hear it again.