DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellshock

S.T. either do or have recently picked DMZ & Hyperdub. SRD do Tempa, i was just wondering if there was anything i'd missed...

thanks for the reply!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The bill looks good this time around: DMZ, Skream, Kode 9, Distance. Ought to be pretty interesting- I don't suppose anyone knows what time anybody will be on? (as last time Vex'd were on at like 4:30 am and I foolishly got too pissed to make it that far... :( )

Blackdown

nexKeysound
1,000 people turned up by 11:30 last time... should be an interesting one this time, the first in the new space (not third base or the main mass room).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I am going with Marcus, dinner first then reach early to watch it fill up.

Very excited about this one. Spent the morning biking round the Porter Valley with the kids, vibes are definitely flowing. I might not make much sense tonight :)

Leo

slightly anal question: i just picked up the dubstep allstars vol. 3 CD in nyc and it has a different cover (a slab of vinyl being manufactured) from what i've seen elsewhere (close up shot of the "9 samurai" record). another difference is the front cover "mix by kode 9..." credit is also very faint, can hardly read it.

wonder if i have an early edition? a late edition? a boot?

mms

sometimes
it was very good last night in a new room which was a bit bigger, - kode 9 rocking sign o the times on entry their set was pure warfare, tension and release, some of the bass lines bordering on nauseous at times, melody vs dischord, space ape's confidence has risen so much.

dmz and loefah, brilliant and varied set, there seems to be an almost hiphop sampling o, f soul element coming in that is very pleasurable and more upbeat tracks too, more female pressure.
skream is doing vocal tracks, the one with warrior queen is almost 80's dancehall style but with a fierce vibrating bassline, his set was great, quite techy, maybe a bit too halfstepping at times but there were moments of pure bliss, and real energy.

i had to go home after that really as i was very tired, but as always, it was lots of smiling faces dancing to slow music, absolutley no attitude and a very friendly feeling throughout, all the dmz virgins i was with were shocked at the vibe, the people and the intense feedback loop with the crowd, they were so lively. It really did feel special last night and it was an enormous pleasure to be there.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yup really fun night. that mala track that switches into triplets and then halftimes the beats is percussively amazing.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Just got back from this--- exhaustion beckons....

Kode 9 's set was pretty sick stuff, I thought his ebb and flow and the way he built up into dark machine-pressure was masterfully executed, also alternated between more steppy stuff and slower beat structures, kept interest levels high-- easily the best set of the night, and worked far better than his Dubstep allstars mix (which was good in its own right)

DMZ/Loefah-- enjoyed the more upbeat stuff, the more shimmery balearic type tunes, would have liked more on this tip (altho the old Loefah classics still pleased the ear) I didn't really get into the flow of the whole thing- I think I peaked too early on the "Antiwar dub"/tune I couldn't identify that followed it bit at around 2:00am...

Skream was good (like last time) easily the most fun/dayglow/pop dubstep dj, cheesy in all the right places- but a more pronounced vocal presence this time around (I guess these are tunes from his forthcoming album, I heard he was working with Warrior Queen amongst others on that)

I was anticipating Distance, but my energy levels were flagging by this juncture however he made good headbanging/staggering zombie music. I think I may need to reformulate dancing strategies to his stuff to avoid looking like I'm at a metal gig (especially when "Nomad" hits the deck).

All in all a good night, again no attitude from the revellers, (altho were security removing people for smoking spliffs...?) I thought the sound system could've been pumped a little louder, (and some of the high end got a bit crushed and indistinct) certainly seemed louder last time. Musically just two months on from the previous DMZ the tunes are becoming more energetic in the main, with a greater vocal presence increasingly creeping in.

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
All in all a good night, again no attitude from the revellers, (altho were security removing people for smoking spliffs...?)

yep there was some real heavyweight insecurity guard who clearly made it his life's ambition to throw out anyone smoking a zoot, and to lurch menacingly around the crowd like a prowling idiot.
He had the worst attitude of anyone there, hopefully he will throw himself out next time.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah, I mean the venue are within their rights to throw people out for using drugs, but all the same its a bit odd as most venues (both clubs and gig venues) seem to turn a real blind eye to weed as a general rule, and also it wasn't like the crowd were rowdy or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.