DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Problem lies not just in the wobble/lfo sound, but rather what goes on AROUND that sound--- ie too many minimal tunes with percussion at 70bpm (ie almost no doubletime elements) and no proper melodics on top. It is this that leaves tunes sounding generic.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Problem lies not just in the wobble/lfo sound, but rather what goes on AROUND that sound--- ie too many minimal tunes with percussion at 70bpm (ie almost no doubletime elements) and no proper melodics on top. It is this that leaves tunes sounding generic.

one kinda caused the other. as halfstep stripped the drums back, bass weight and fluctuation were introduced to maintain impact and momentum.

personally i'm fine with it, but like halfstep i prefer it in moderation and would hate to become the status quo. diversity is key.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
one kinda caused the other. as halfstep stripped the drums back, bass weight and fluctuation were introduced to maintain impact and momentum.

personally i'm fine with it, but like halfstep i prefer it in moderation and would hate to become the status quo. diversity is key.

A great, interesting halfstep track will always be a winner. But as more and more people inhabit this area, it gets dull. The whole thing rests on basically 3 things:

1) The sonic fx and filtering on the sub, how innovative and ear-catching this can be
2) The actual RIFF thats being played. If all you've got is a B-line, drums, and some wispy sfx/vox samples, then this is key. All too often the actual RIFFS are a bit flimsy.
3) The overall engineering quality of the track (as its so minimalist)- or why Pinch is always onto a good thing...;)

UFO over easy

online mahjong

have you been going to raves or listening to rinse recently? the stuff that's being battered at the moment is glossy, percussively busy, shiny, melodic, wobbley rinse out stuff - benga, kromestar, skream etc..

nomos

Administrator
i just watched the Bristol dubstep doc 'Living Inside the Speaker.' It's really well done. Has a little segment on Gutta too. Rooted has it for like 5 quid.

viktorvaughn

have you been going to raves or listening to rinse recently? the stuff that's being battered at the moment is glossy, percussively busy, shiny, melodic, wobbley rinse out stuff - benga, kromestar, skream etc..

True actually. That really came over to me at the Leeds iration rave. Its not the ubiquity of wobble-bass halfstep but moaning about the ubiquity of wobble-bass halfstep that is the status quo!

There were slower numbers but they were more like bass-heavy dub tunes than the loefah rip-offs everyone seems concerned about.

elgato

I just dont know
loefah copycats arent the problem for me, cos that implies some sort of mechanistic, minimalist, austere kind of vibe, and that isnt the issue for me with the central scene...

its all these flat, soul-less wobblers. sadly, most stuff n-type plays nowadays i find completely off-putting, the people he is bringing through concern me too. i hate to say it, cos i rate him as a dj and massively as a host, but his selection of late pretty much captures what i dont like about where the central dubstep scene is going (he along with Dub Police)

theyre not stripped minimalist things, they sound to me like the dubstep equivalent of roni size come Touching Down... just tacky, cheap-plasticky, wobbly crowd-pleasers, no vibe, just functional, bate dance music, which is what i turned to dubstep to escape...

but its just an element which is coming through, and i think it will precipitate a split soon enough, like jump-up jungle did

Last edited:

gravious

aaaagh

Touching Down was bad... let us not speak of it again. Much love for roni was lost in the purchasing of that album. Bad tunes, badly mixed (not even full tracks!).

Anyways, know what you mean about dub police.

Some absolute belter tunes on it, and some that just don't cut it for me.
Its that flat wobble thing I suppose!

Its like Caspa. I absolutely love some of his tunes (esp. the cockney ones), but some have started sounding a bit samey in that wobble vein.

elgato

I just dont know
more toasty, boxcutter, elemental, protocol x, S&D, SLT and luke envoy...

...give it a name and split off from the massive !!!

its was already given a name, people didnt like it and complained about divisiveness! i would tend to agree

luke envoy seems like an odd one out in there though

but anyways i just want rid of most of the 'jump-up' stuff! sick of it

what was the name given ???

i reckon honourkill and gamma are more glitchtech style dubstep in the vein of those mentioned than wobblecloned halfsteppa

has he got any new bits floating around ???

elgato

I just dont know
learn to produce elegato, then you can use your ennui constructively...

i cant discern the implication! is it a slight?! if so then perhaps not undeserved, i know that i need to lose this curious addiction to forums. the issue there is to change to a more inspiring job i think!

i do produce, and take great pleasure in doing so, but its a slow and uphill process and is yet to bear fruit which i feel fully satisfied with (although i dont even know if that is something possible...?). furthermore i have the problem of constantly wanting to start on new ideas rather than working on technical skills or developing complete tracks

breakstep ???...that was early cyberfunk, hardcore beats and rat type of stuff, zed bias, deekline, darqwan et al before they divested themselves of the association to 2step/garage...

...no no no that simply wont do at all

what S&D, toasty and co do is so much more evolved from that...

wasn't there some talk of 'bruckout' as a name ???

UFO over easy

online mahjong
but its just an element which is coming through, and i think it will precipitate a split soon enough, like jump-up jungle did

I can't really see that happening. The music of kromestar and random trio for example is different enough, arguably, to warrent it, but the central producers are basically family. They all play each others tunes, play the same raves and come from roughly the same area. Whilst I hear what you're saying about N-Type, he still plays some heavy deeper stuff - loefah and mala beats mainly. Varied selections throughout nights is the norm and I really hope it stays like that. There seems to be real respect between all the central producers, whatever styles they happen to produce.

Also, the main culprits of writing the style you're talking about do make deeper stuff as well, mainly thinking of Benga.

If there's a split coming, I reckon it'll be between the fans (read: bickering on forums) rather than the producers and DJs.

P

Parson

toasty is wicked

awesome, gigantic tunes that will slay the venue

however, the tunes kinda epitomize slowed-down jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.