Top 20 albums of 2005..?

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I used to have far too many CDs like that, so I stopped buying them.

Looking down these lists, there's not one band in ten that I recognise, let alone know what they sound like :(. I feel like I will never be properly in touch with music again...

... also... how do we set up the Music forum so more of this stuff gets discussed so I can at least hear people describe (as opposed to listing) them... cos I don't think even half of the music listed here has been talked about on Dissensus...

i've put links to most of the people now.
cos that's a good point.

shudder

Leo said:
Spoombung aka Kev Hopper...former bass player for 80s alt.rockers Stump, who has worked with the High Llamas and Stereolab, is part of laptop trio Ticklish and has released two solo discs -- "Whispering Foils" and "Saurus" -- on Drag City of quiet music in which he plays the saw (quite beautiful stuff).

Easiest way to describe the "I Saw Spoombung's..." CD is to go here: http://www.spoombung.co.uk. Click on the cover to read the review from The Wire #260. Japanese import only on a label called Afterhours (easy to order via PayPal, just send them an email for instructions, they are very nice and quick to reply...my copy arrived Tokyo to NYC in about five days!) Not monumental by just really nice/dreamy/fizzy/slightly oddball music, with beautiful handmade-like packaging.

the two tracks samplable online were wicked!

3underscore

2stepfan said:
... also... how do we set up the Music forum so more of this stuff gets discussed so I can at least hear people describe (as opposed to listing) them... cos I don't think even half of the music listed here has been talked about on Dissensus...

Noone normally comes across into being interested in house music (esp. Microhouse) on here, yet it seems recurrent in the lists. Especially Isolee's album for which I don't think there was any direct discussion. Maybe because that stuff is kinda obvious, though I might try and see with a cebane thread later. though not technically micro, it is Carsten Nicolai, and one of the best albums this year (though I only found out about it the other week, I had loved the perlon EP).

O

Omaar

3underscore said:
Noone normally comes across into being interested in house music (esp. Microhouse) on here, yet it seems recurrent in the lists. Especially Isolee's album [wearemoster] for which I don't think there was any direct discussion.

Yeah that's been mentioned alot on this thread and elsewhere, but it didn't really interest me at all on a cursory first listen. Does it need repeat listens? What did people find so exciting about it?

tom pr

1. serena maneesh - serena maneesh
2. arab strap - the last romance
3. melvins & jello biafra - seig howdy

those are the best three i've heard this year - couldn't name twenty i've really liked. have people heard the serena maneesh disc? they're a norwegian group very reminiscent of mbv with a touch of sonic youth - go to honeymilk.no to stream one of their songs.

S

simon silverdollar

Omaar said:
Yeah that's been mentioned alot on this thread and elsewhere, but it didn't really interest me at all on a cursory first listen. Does it need repeat listens? What did people find so exciting about it?

yeah it definitely needs a lot of listens before it makes sense. when it does make sense, though, it's amazing:- so warm and harmonious and...sexy.

O

Omaar

simon silverdollar said:
yeah it definitely needs a lot of listens before it makes sense. when it does make sense, though, it's amazing:- so warm and harmonious and...sexy.

woah, for real? I had another listen to it after I posted, and I basically found it the opposite - inaccessible, harsh, atonal, cold .. there are moments when i think something is working and then he just stops and does something else. no accounting for taste, eh!

I'll leave it for a bit and come back it to maybe ...

Tones

Don Quixote
joining the fray

Oh man, there is so much on here I haven't heard.

Mine, tentatively:

FAV ALBUMS
- Jason Forrest, Shamelessly Exciting (Sonig)
- Edan, Beauty and the Beat (Lewis)
- Alarm Will Sound, Acoustica (Cantaloupe)
- Venetian Snares, Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett (Planet Mu)

FAV EPs
- Bonobo, Recurring EP (Ninja Tune)
- Madvillain, Four Tet Remix EP (Stones Throw)

FAV TRACKS
- Kanye, Gone (Roc-A-Fella)
- Vex'd, Crusher Dub (Planet Mu)
- Prefuse 73 & Aesop Rock, Sabbatical With Options (Warp)

turtles

in the sea
Omaar said:
woah, for real? I had another listen to it after I posted, and I basically found it the opposite - inaccessible, harsh, atonal, cold .. there are moments when i think something is working and then he just stops and does something else. no accounting for taste, eh!

I'll leave it for a bit and come back it to maybe ...
I have this weird thing where, despite being a very big fan of microhouse and whatnot, whenever there's a real critical consensus on some microhouse album, I find myself in disagreement. Last time this happened was Alcachofa (which is like, heresy or something now that it's become it's own damn genre), but the same thing's happened again with Isolee. Everyone seems to have this as THE microhouse record of the year, but no matter how many times I listen to it, I still find it overly fussy and fidgety without it ever really catching fire (even in a slowly burning kinda way) and turning into something interesting. Exception to this being 'face b' mostly because of that great wobbling, growling bassline.

Ada's Blondie was way the hell better.

S

simon silverdollar

bipedaldave said:
I have this weird thing where, despite being a very big fan of microhouse and whatnot, whenever there's a real critical consensus on some microhouse album, I find myself in disagreement. Last time this happened was Alcachofa (which is like, heresy or something now that it's become it's own damn genre), but the same thing's happened again with Isolee. Everyone seems to have this as THE microhouse record of the year, but no matter how many times I listen to it, I still find it overly fussy and fidgety without it ever really catching fire (even in a slowly burning kinda way) and turning into something interesting. Exception to this being 'face b' mostly because of that great wobbling, growling bassline.

face b is like the key to the whole album tho innit. as soon as you get that, you get the whole record. it all makes sense.

....or is this getting too pretentious?

DavidD

can't be stopped
1. T.O.K. – Unknown Language
2. Beanie Sigel – The B. Coming
3. Three-6 Mafia – Most Known Unknowns
4. Amerie – Touch
5. M.A.N.D.Y. – Body Language
6. DJ Quik - Trauma
7. Lil Wayne – The Carter II
8. Sean Paul – The Trinity
9. Young Jeezy – Let's Get It: Thug Motivation
10. DJ Logan Sama - RWD
11. AZ – A.W.O.L.
12. Slim Thug – Already Platinum
13. Mariah Carey – Emancipation of Mimi
14. Trina – The Glamorest Life
15. Mike Jones – Who Is Mike Jones?
16. C-Murder – The Truest Shit I Ever Said
17. The Clipse – Got It 4 Cheap Vol. 2
18. Ewan Pearson – Sci.Fi.Hi.Fi.
19. Superpitcher - Today
20. Kanye West – Late Registration

order is arbitrary.

DavidD

can't be stopped
bipedaldave said:

I'm with you on wearemonster, and I LOVED Rest.

tox

Factory Girl
Here we go then...

Malcolm Middleton - Into The Woods
L.Pierre - Touchpool
Arab Strap - The Last Romance

All these records are from the Arab Strap camp (Aiden Moffat aka L.Pierre being one half and Malcolm Middleton being the other) and make up at least 3 of my favorite records of the year. Its nice to see that theres still a proper British indie scene around, despite the press fawning over Grime and the public chasing after all those over-hyped Domino signed bands.

Having said that my next pick is a Domino band, Sons and Daughter's second album Love the Cup. This is an amazing collection of tracks, sadly overlooked by a lot of people this year. Its like the energy of Grime stuffed into an rock n roll shell. Not in a gimmicy Test-icicles way, but its the menace and energy of the tracks that makes me think of Grime. Would love to see front-woman Adele clash Riko or someone.

Other albums:
Jeff Mills - Contact
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Fourtet - Everything Ecstatic
Plasticman - Rinse Sessions CD4
Laurent Garnier - The Cloud Making Machine

Tracks:
Skream - Request Line
Underworld - YouDoScribble
Afronaught - Golpe Duyo Calinda
Lady Sov - Random (IG Culture Remix)
Nathan Fake - Dinamo
PTA - Unfinished Thing
Soil & Pimp - Wheel Within a Wheel [might be 2004]
Reeve - Choose Me
Ski Oakenfull - New Orleans Under Attack

That'll do.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Kind of in-order

1. Ariel Pink - Worn Copy/‘The Doldrums/House Arrest
2. The Focus Group - Hey let loose your love
3. Animal Collective - Feels
4. Bun B -Trill
5. Various - Target presents Aim High Volume 2
6. The Books - Lost and Safe
7. Isolee - We Are Monster
8. Kanye West - Late Registration
9. Electrelane - Axes
10. Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice Xiao
11. Kevin Blechdom - Eat my heart out
12. Roll Deep - Creeper Mixtape Volume 1
13. Hot Chip - Coming on Strong
14. Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain
15. Ruff Sqwad - Guns and roses volume 1 (mixtape)

Bubbling under

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
Jackson and his Computer Band - Smash
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Belbury Poly - The Willows
The Advisory Circle - Mind how you go
The Fall - Fall Heads Roll
Antony and the Johnsons - I am a bird
Juana Molina - Tres Cosas
Richard Devine - Cautella
Annie - Anniemal

Grime singles

Ruff Sqwad and Roll Deep - Sidewinder
Ruff Sqwad and Roll Deep - All day long
Skream - Late night request line
Ruff Sqwad and Wiley - Together
Young.dot – Young.dot EP
The Essentials - State your name
Roll Deep - When I’m ere (Wiley rmx)
Davinchie - Dirty Canvas 3
Crazy Titch – Singalong (Imp Batch - Gype riddim)
JME - Serious/Radio guys
Ruff Sqwad - Underground
Doctor - Jealousy and hate
Trim and Scratchy - Trim and scratch
Wiley Tunnel Vision
D Double - Freestyle (on Grime)

Other singles

Bun B - Drapped up RMX (ft. Lil Keke, Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Aztek, Lil Flip)
Mike Jones - Still tippin’
Three Six Mafia - I gotta stay high
Vashti Bunyan and Animal Collective - Prospect hummer EP
iWayne - Can’t satisfy her
Damian Marley - Jamrock
Amerie - One thing
Cesaria - Angola (Bateau Ivre Rework By Pepe Bradock)

micmack

My Little Pony
In no order, some of the stuff that was on heavy rotation:

Skream - Request Line
Ruff Sqwad - Underground
Vitalic - Ok Cowboy
Alex Smoke - Incommunicado
Isolee - We are Monster
Three 6 Mafia - Stay Fly
Ruff Sqwad / Wiley - Together
Kano - Home Sweet Home
LCD Soundsystem
Vex'd - Degenerate
Amerie - 1 Thing
Various- Run the Road 2
Roots Manuva - awfully Deep
Sway - Up your Speed remix (ft. Bruza)
Matias Aguayo - Are You Really Lost?
Young.dot - EP1
Mike Jones - Still Tippin' (feat Slim Thug & Paul Wall)
Gwen Stefanie - Hollaback Girl
Alan Braxe and Friends - The Upper Cuts
Kayne West - Late Registration
Omar-S - Just ask the lonely
Cristian Vogel - Station 55

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Meh, mine would go something like this... I tried to do some write ups, because I do hate reading these lists and just going "who? what?" ... not to mention that I can't sleep. :)

Jamie Lidell - Multiply (Warp) Lidell ditches all the chaos of his first solo album and all the itchy fiddliness of the Super_Collider stuff and basically just takes a trip through various shades of soul and funk. Could be dismissed as a hipster Jamiroquai or something, but fuck it, I love it. Not all clean and polished up and a good dose of distortion and odd effects from time to time. Makes the nice bits nicer.

Koushik - Be With (Stone's Throw) Like if "trip-hop" lived up to its name as a genre? Kooky, blissed out songs which makes me think of Donovan and bods over weird little sketchy breaks and off-kilter jazz loops and seagulls and whatever else.. and I love how short the songs are!

The Books - Lost and Safe (Tomlab) Unlike most everyone, I don't like this as much as their second album, 'The Lemon of Pink'. Pretty impossible to describe, but everyone's talking about it, so hopefully people don't need me to explain.

Phoenix Foundation - Pegasus (Flying Nun) A band from my homeland, NZ, who are sorta soft rock with elements of country and a bit of kitchen sink madness to their arrangements. Funny instrumentals like 'Sea World' are like a Nintendo game meets Morricone or something. The sprawling 'Cars of Eden' has a ridiculous outro where Jeff Henderson, one of NZ's "big names" of free jazz, warbles and spits his sax over the softest, pussiest 80s synth chords while their ex-music teacher from high school bangs an atonal piano line out and a Quincy-Jones-would-be-proud guitar mute riff builds in the background. I dunno. I get the impression most regular posters here would hate this. Haha, not that I'm defensive or anything!

Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow (Samadhisound) There's something I find really unattractive about David Sylvian and his "in all light their is darkness" type sobriety, his references to antiquity and all the rest. Song titles here like "The Banality of Evil" make me feel embarrassed. But still, I keep on coming back. When I ripped the CD I got told the genre for this is "progressive rock". Oh dear. The rock bits are quite awful.. so tame and un-moving.. but the majority of the album is quiet and sparse and quite interesting. Oh yeah, Nine Horses is Sylvian with other ex-Japan guy, Steve Jansen (Sylvian's bro?) and Burnt Friedman (Nonplace Urban Field / Drome / etc). Usual dudes like Ryuichi Sakamoto show up to do some atonal piano.

Kelley Polar - Love Songs of the Hanging Gardens (Environ) I thought the first Kelley Polar Quartet EP sounded exactly like Metro Area. Then he sang on that song 'The Rhythm Touch' and I thought it was really dumb. Still, bleep had recommended it to me and I stuck with it and suddenly declared it ruling. The album came out and I bought it instantly without listening to it. I was gutted by how stupidly soppy and dumb it was. Sounds like the musical Hair coupled with the same Metro Area type synth disco arrangements. Again, it's clicked. The cold soul and downright creepy sentiment of 'Black Hole' has me thinking "song of the year". But then there's Amerie, of course. ;)

Steve Spacek - Space Shift (Sound in Colour?) Can't be bothered describing this in depth, but if you know Spacek, it's their singer/co-producer, but this is more forthright, more fun than they were. I was really excited when I first heard the first Spacek album, but that super rarefied sparseness is sorta the opposite of sex, which is weird in what is ostensibly r&b of some sort.. this resolves some of that. But then you can't throw around buzz words like "problematise", so maybe that's not a good thing.

God, do I sound like I like any of that??? Haha. Oh well.

And for the record I'm in the camp that says 'We Are Monster' is difficult and no fun too.

nunc

∞
i thought the last books album was comparatively ignored until i saw it was the wire's album of the year

gumdrops

some albums i really liked this year -
steve spacek - space shift
nicolette - life loves us
mariah carey - emancipation of mimi
herbert - plat du jour
cam'ron - purple haze
MIA - arular
aphex twin - analord
roisin murphy - ruby blue
antony and the jonsons - i am a bird
saul williams - saul williams
edan - beauty and the beat
andrew thompson - egad
kanye west - late registration
lil jon - crunk juice (chopped and screwed)
geto boys - foundation
virus syndicate - work related illness (though more for the production than anything else)

some mixtapes, off the top of my head -
rwd aaa mixtape - logan sama
va - rinsessions
underground express mixtape - slimzee
ying yang twins - only the crunk survive
bun b - king of the trill
slim thug - greatest hits

Last edited:
O

Omaar

michael said:
Kelley Polar - Love Songs of the Hanging Gardens (Environ) I thought the first Kelley Polar Quartet EP sounded exactly like Metro Area. Then he sang on that song 'The Rhythm Touch' and I thought it was really dumb. Still, bleep had recommended it to me and I stuck with it and suddenly declared it ruling. The album came out and I bought it instantly without listening to it. I was gutted by how stupidly soppy and dumb it was. Sounds like the musical Hair coupled with the same Metro Area type synth disco arrangements. Again, it's clicked. The cold soul and downright creepy sentiment of 'Black Hole' has me thinking "song of the year". But then there's Amerie, of course. ;)

there's a kind of chick corea jazz fusion scientology vibe to bits of it, but its great nonetheless/because of this. 'Matter into energy' is my top track off that right now - though Black hole's great too innit. My tags say snow borne sorrow is ambient.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Omaar said:
there's a kind of chick corea jazz fusion scientology vibe to bits of it, but its great nonetheless/because of this.
Ooh ooh, that's a much better touchstone than 'Hair'... Haha. Yeah, I reckon it's awesome. Took a few listens to warm up to it though.