chicago house nowadays

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

echevarian

babylon sister
Thanks Edward, those Frankie Knuckles tracks are exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Man, if I wasn't so poor this would be a lot easier stuff to find!

dominic

Beast of Burden
Edward said:
like 4th Floor which seem like quite a different lick to me

not to be petty . . . .

HOWEVER, there's

break boys, "my house is your house"
arnold jarvis, "take some time out"
masters at work, "dum dum cry" = todd terry at height of his powers
fallout, "the morning after"
black riout, "a day in the life" = more top todd terry
fallout, "do you wanna rock"
shalor, "my love has gone away"

this may not be "deep" house

but it's definitely "classic" house

Edward said:
most of all Cutting which mostly released freestyle (aka latin hiphop)

nitro deluxe, "let's get brutal"

and there's plenty more, in caee of "house"

Yep I love all the records you name, and I'm not saying 4th floor & Cutting never released any house, of course they did, but I would still say they're on a very different tip to the Chicago records we were talking about.

"Dum Dum Cry" for example doesn't even have a 4/4/ kick in it which is pretty much the basic requirement for a house record to me.
"Let's Get Brutal" is a classic awesome record and a genre of its own I reckon, doesn't sound remotely like any chicago records and not much like other NY records either.

But it's not worth arguing about, like I said all these genre-words mean different things to different people, let's just enjoy the music!

by the way, what's the voice saying in Let's Get Brutal? sounds like "rule it with the milimetre" or something, i could never work it out.

"Take Some Time Out" - AWESOME.... on that NY Garage comp I mentioned earlier. do yourself a favour and find it folks.

bruno

est malade
"Take Some Time Out" - AWESOME.... on that NY Garage comp I mentioned earlier. do yourself a favour and find it folks.

the version on this compilation is the only one i could find with the extended synthless suspense where the synths rise in volume slowly, punctuated at the end by drums before the beat comes again and brings the song to its end. the ending is so perfect the song has to be repeated over and over again.

Client Eastwood

I'd say Arnold Jarivs is *the* voice of Chicago house. More than Robert Owens even. I only know of a couple of trax by him (AJ)but they are so so good.

bruno

est malade
robert owens is a god and this is my sole exposure to jarvis but i think we can agree this is a killer, killer track, really moody and special. the voice has a lot to do with it but the synths and little organ bits are what make it for me.

projekt pm's when the voices come is a also gem and has aged rather well (for a guidance act).