Vol 2 - Best jungle mix Ever!! - Naphta: Sov Rhythms

N A P H T A

Junglist
adruu said:
wicked...been after these for ages, and would be pretty surprised if one was on Shadow...I thought I've heard every one!

Second clip is 'Cuttin Loose Remix' off Foul Play's '95 LP 'Suspected' for Moving Shadow :)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Was this mixed on turntables? Because I haven't heard a jungle mix this smooth...ever? Love that atmospheric bit between tracks 4 and 8. It's like they try to compensate for the almost embarassing emotional strings with super rough beats. Correct me if I am wrong but the part of the Timeless "suite" that is labeled Jah doesn't have that awesome pad section so I think I'll have to pick up the single.

It's nice how this mix is not all "mash-up" type stuff. Furious amen breaks get tiring really fast.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
droid said:
Comments appreciated especially at the moment as only about every 50th downloader is bothering to say hi...
I am strongly considering a new download policy: if you want the mix, you have to mail for the link, and promise not to put the link on your site or on forums. With the number of sites that flog ads off the back of listing other people's mixes, I can generate vast numbers of dls and get, like, less than ten comments. I get a couple of nice emails a week from random people saying thanks, often after they've had the mixes for months, but I'm beginning to think that less downloads could equal more engagement with real people...

D

droid

DigitalDjigit said:
Was this mixed on turntables? Because I haven't heard a jungle mix this smooth...ever? Love that atmospheric bit between tracks 4 and 8. It's like they try to compensate for the almost embarassing emotional strings with super rough beats. Correct me if I am wrong but the part of the Timeless "suite" that is labeled Jah doesn't have that awesome pad section so I think I'll have to pick up the single.

It's nice how this mix is not all "mash-up" type stuff. Furious amen breaks get tiring really fast.

Yep - all decks - no computers at all. Though If you think this ones smooth - wait till ya hear some of my jungle mixes! ;)

99% certain thats the version of Jah from the LP - best version IMO.

I am strongly considering a new download policy: if you want the mix, you have to mail for the link, and promise not to put the link on your site or on forums. With the number of sites that flog ads off the back of listing other people's mixes, I can generate vast numbers of dls and get, like, less than ten comments. I get a couple of nice emails a week from random people saying thanks, often after they've had the mixes for months, but I'm beginning to think that less downloads could equal more engagement with real people...

Ive thought about something similar - and maybe when bandwidth starts being a problem we'll have to go down that road - for the moment though, the priority is to get the music out to as many people as possible (even if thay are mostly a bunch of ungrateful gits! :D)

N A P H T A

Junglist
DigitalDjigit said:
Was this mixed on turntables? Because I haven't heard a jungle mix this smooth...ever?

hahaha... yes it was indeed mixed on turntables... ! tightness ain't the be-all and end-all for me, but it is pretty damn important for studio mixes at least IMO - cos you got no excuse for fuck-ups! :mad: ... I figured that these mixes could indeed have been better (isn't it always the way?!), but by and large, they had the energy and crucially, they did what I wanted to do: they showcased some awesome (and little known) tunes from that period with reasonable coherence.

Love that atmospheric bit between tracks 4 and 8. It's like they try to compensate for the almost embarassing emotional strings with super rough beats.

;) That's kinda what it's all about IMO! Somewhere between the tiresome cliches of both 'cheese' and 'intelligence' lies the essence of what made this music different..

Correct me if I am wrong but the part of the Timeless "suite" that is labeled Jah doesn't have that awesome pad section so I think I'll have to pick up the single.

Yeah, couple of versions of that track released.. this one was engineered by Dillinja for the LP... all versions are pretty ruff IMO, especially the one on the b-side to Inner City life w/ Rob Playford on the controls - get some headphone action going for the breaks on that one too - niceness! :D

Absolutely... so much other class material from that time to play anyway methinks.. less is more... so that when the Amens drop you feel em that much more ;)

D

droid

Bandwidth slewed. 20gb in the last 2 days.

I blame the Americans! ;)

Apologies if youve been trying to get this - itll be back up tomorrow, and Ill mirror it on monday