Grace Jones

luka

it's all about feel up.... much better than any song mentioned here thius far....

STN

sou'wester
fully agree with luka, feel up is barky-barky.

put pull up to the bumper on at +2 and it's a certified banger.

mms

sometimes
the 12" of slave to the rhythm has got that sample used in hundreds of hardcore and miami bass records ' annihilating rhythm' , it's weirdly ian mcshane reading it too, him from lovejoy.
New single sounds very coil-like.

polystyle

Aaah ' Here's Grace ...'
Funny as a few weeks ago after looking for Nightclubbing,
it was easy to find everything by her online.
Thanks Dom for bringing her up.

Nightclubbing is just classic.
Clear as HD cartoon funk, inspired choice of covers, pre digital graphics by Goude just - so.
Stills sounds great, the playings tight, room for the instruments to breath gave an occasional sense of 'minimal' / skeletal post - something funk .
Little guitar, bass or kyboard details every few bars kept us coming back.
It's music , not just loops made in bedroom - can be nice too but ...
here you have supra seasoned pros rockin it and wid taste, it works.

Walking In The Rain seconded , thirded - can play that almost any time.
The lyrics were pretty cool , not so serious chilled cool.
Dig her cover of Demolition Man ' You Keep On Coming , you should have ran ...'
Pull Up, Use Me, I've Done It Again's attention getting blat flat note she acts out there ...
Found 2 electrofied versions of Libertango that DJ Hell let proteges do, they totally work if one likes the genre ( ( via Too Fuzzy, search Grace Jones , the whole list can be found, may still be up).
Some total party tunage, with a smile smirk.
Of course it depends on the venue but plenty to play at a club and will do so in future.

The camp gay diva Grace used ot play on occasion, holidays, New Year's parties at clubs here ,
notorious /famous/ loved for getting on stage like a hour or more late -eh .
But some of the music is classic ...

dHarry

Here's Shaviro's great remix of my one-liner above ("playing some kind of man-eating vampire/capitalism dual role here to thrilling, creepy effect; fantastic video fx that warp her into the post-human mutant she always was"). Not that he actually used my idea of course, just thinking along the same lines and teases out the ramifications with gusto & thoroughness.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Here's Shaviro's great remix of my one-liner above ("playing some kind of man-eating vampire/capitalism dual role here to thrilling, creepy effect; fantastic video fx that warp her into the post-human mutant she always was"). Not that he actually used my idea of course, just thinking along the same lines and teases out the ramifications with gusto & thoroughness.

How about "nice video done in a photostudio then edited using imovie's circle splash distortion effect".

Hope they didn't tell her n charged her like 20 grand. It's soooooo cheaply done, why is that?

aaron_shinn

One of the most captivating aspects of Grace Jones is her image, which is of course the product of John-Paul Goude and others. The four steps of the construction of one of her iconic portraits is revealed here:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/image/0,,1672997,00.html

The upper left is the concept sketch, upper right a still from the photo shoot, lower right the "composite negative" by Goude, and the lower right is the finished product, airbrushed to perfection.

When I first saw this sequence (in the book 'So Far So Goude') I was both crestfallen and elated. I was disappointed to learn that her insane aesthetics were totally artificial, but also thrilled at the power of that artifice.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
I've Seen That Face Before is the most spacious piece of futurist dub-camp i ever did hear, the Introducing Miss Jones mix of Slave is just the goddamn greatest but yeah you just can't go wrong with Warm Leatherette or Nightclubbing and Slave is up there too. She does sound like a lost future doesn't she?

Maybe she invented Kode9? :D