music / emotional complexity

zhao

there are no accidents
all of this has a lot to do with a revised version of human history and pre-history that I'm trying to piece together in my mind... I digress.

so what in your opinion is the, um, saddest music in the world?

the Armenian duduk (flute) has to be one of the most tear-jerking of instruments.

man and machine

Wild Horses
Jezmi said:
But as huge as the music industry has grown on recordings and transmissions, music is still something that is created in and for such a intimate setting.

not anymore. look at the all whole idols, popstars tv competions. and the industry manufactured music out there. there's nothing intimate about that

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
man and machine said:
not anymore. look at the all whole idols, popstars tv competions. and the industry manufactured music out there. there's nothing intimate about that

I should have said: to me music is still something that is created in and for such a intimate setting. This is what enjoy most (pretty obvious statement I guess).
However, that side of music isn't hardly the majority of music as a whole. It does get the most tv/radio time, makes the most money, mag write ups, etc, etc. But how much of that has to do with music performances? And perfomances of that part of music don't differ, even if it's not playback. There must be millions of intimate small scale performances a day -- greatly outnumbering all pop pefromances. Hell, my dad played a half an hour of a spanish guitar piece his practisingf, and I joined him to listen.