The Ruth Kelly "Affair"

bassnation

the abyss
Rambler said:
I think the difference there is that 16+ means sexually adult, and so predatory teachers are just the same sexual predators in any aspect of life - just as bad, but no longer a special case, and it's up to the (adult) victim to bring charges after the fact than the institution to have a responsibility to filter potential dangers.

didn't the government redefine cases such as these recently as a breach of trust? don't think its regarded as quite so serious, more inappropriate and shows lack of judgement on the part of the teacher.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rambler said:
I think the difference there is that 16+ means sexually adult, and so predatory teachers are just the same sexual predators in any aspect of life - just as bad, but no longer a special case, and it's up to the (adult) victim to bring charges after the fact than the institution to have a responsibility to filter potential dangers.

its just a nominal cut-off though: under the children's act, 16 year olds are still 'children' who are vulnerable (at 18 this changes- so for example, whilst the parents of 16 and 17 year olds have every right to know what their kids are doing at college etc, at 18 they don't), whilst under CRB 16 year olds are 'adults'. off topic though, so sorry.

jenks

thread death
matt b said:
the fact is she's awful and is hated by most teachers and anyone with any knowledge of education for good reason. her policies have been ill thought out, spin led and media focussed whilst her attitude is condescending at best.

the sooner she goes the better, frankly.

(she visited my workplace recently and reports from people who met her were far from glowing)

don't disagree with any of that - recently been on the sharp end of one of her new style inspections and think tomlinson could have sorted some of the pig's ear which is current educational policy.

however clarke was not much better and morris awful, blunket shit - when was the last time we had someone half decent in the post - keith joseph? fowler/ken clark/baker/gillian whatsher face - all dreadful

my point was just that she has been a constant target and that blair probably likes it that way - i am often told by those who claim to be in the know that she isn't up to it and i think the govt bods will let her continue to hobble along rather than put her out of her misery - blair issues a policy statement but he's not really that interested in supporting her -
she hasn't a clue but who has had?

D

droid

All this fuss! I always thought you had to be a sex offender in order to qualify for a job as a PE teacher! :D

corneilius

Ruth Kelly is not the problem

I sent this to various media in the UK today. Not one reply. You know why

start of letter

Sir/Madam,

I am 46. I was subjected to abuse as a child, in Catholic Boarding Schools, in the so called 'swinging 60s'. There were many children like me. The Irish Government and Catholic Church tried to buy our silence, by putting up a fund of 258 million punts, with an expiry date set for Dec. 15 2005.

That date has passed, and I have not applied. Why?

Because it is a cop-out. The issue is much deeper than the media have ever alluded to, partly because the media, and the establishment, are implicated, in how they seek control people, and protect their obscene wealth by re-inforcing dysfunctional stereotyoes, in advertising and editorial.

It is a fact, though from reading your paper, and many others, one might assume otherwise, that all human dysfunction arises from one unassailable factor, and that is the adverse conditioning of children by adults, who themselves are mostly unaware of their own adverse conditioning, in such a way that the childs knowing of themselves as innately joyous and loving beings, in an innately functioning environment is destroyed.

That is the issue. Are you williing to face it?

end of letter

Furthermore :

The picture, painted by various forms of mass media, by religions and ideologies of people as selfish, competitive and insecure, posing as creative art, is what they feed us daily. That is what our children become, if we hand them over to their ministrations. And sadly, many of us do,

No, it does not surprise me that the media and establishment do what they do, and seek to justify it. That is the way of the dysfunctional. It does however stir a great anger, for they have been informed by those who know, by people like Alice Miller, Carl Rogers, Monbiot, Chomsky to name a few, and by many, many others who have communicated with them and with the various departments of government, local and national, who ought to be looking after our interests, and the interests of our children, on our behalf, (for that is after all their stated role, to communicate on our behalf, and for government to collect resources - taxes - then to and to use them on our behalf) down through the years. And they have steadfastly ignored them. The result? A world of horror upon horror. A world where nuclear power, civil or military is the only option. A point of no return, indeed. A world where abuse of children is the basis for 'civilisation'.

So be it. Unless of course it does not have to be that way. And it doesn't, does it? That's why we are communicating, working day in, day out to create the change.