mms

sometimes
been watching walter hill films, the driver and southern comfort.
walter hilll done the warriors, his whole thing is about hunting, almost all his movies are hunting films .
southern comfort is a total masterpiece, an allegory about vietnam or any film where a powerful state invades a smaller state who know the territory, the overconfidence and the incompetence of the war machine.
it's one of those 'local' films like wicker man or straw dogs, except you dont get the corniness, it's genuinely scary too, not knowing what's going on around the corner all the while, knowing that the goodies are the baddies and they're not bright and they're going to get killed horribly, its in tune with the whole revenge film culture that sprang up in the early 80's and got caught up in video nasties etc.

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
the conversation. one of Francis Ford C's less well known films.

one of the few films i've seen as of late that has really stuck with me... was amazing seeing it on a big screen too, those films from the early 70s hollywood heyday have such a distinctive colour palette.. just don't get that anymore!

essentially a character study about a sound recordist who loses his mind. not exactly a fun film, but really quite brilliantly put together. use of sound, fittingly, is stellar. and it has john cazale. also best acting i've ever seen from gene hackman, no doubt about it.

will check out southern comfort, obviously warriors is top notch! regret to say its being remade for 2008/./// ugggh.

iseems SC is one of those films that really does not have any general critcal consensus regarding it.... though i like the other films you mentioned so should be a safe bet!

peter gunn - i need to see those films! studying a bit on film noir and its a real nightmare getting hold of anything beyond chinatown on dvd... do i have to trawl through VHS sections?? any advice on loacting them? (especially kiss of death, looks great, sadly all i can find is some bloody nic cage vehicle////////

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
200px-Orcamovie.JPG

Beautiful film. Made me cry.

O

Omaar

200px-Orcamovie.JPG

Beautiful film. Made me cry.

Saw that on a bus on a daytrip out of beijing. The driver loved it so much he played it on the outbound and return legs of the trip. There was a cry of despair from the passengers when it started for a second time, but the driver just didn't seem to care.

@craner - have you seen fulci's don't torture a duckling? any good?

DJ PIMP

my god I hated that one... turned it off roughtly 25 minutes in.
quite indulgent in some respects, but interesting in the way the french "twins" nullify one another. when confronted with reality they engage with the protest via childlike narcissism, reacting against the paternal figure / previous generation.

worth it for the statue scene (esp the fractured shot of the girl in the mirror) "i always wanted to make love to the venus de milo"... the sex scene with the frying eggs and climax of fleeing protestors, and the following:

"She is smart but she doesn't know how to deal with parents."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean its not enough to ignore them. They should all be arrested. Put on trial. Confess their Crimes. Sent to the country... for SELF CRITICISM... and RE-EDUCATION!"

Haha!

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Oh my word! I forgot to mention that I went to the NFT and saw THE SCHOOL OF THE HOLY BEAST!!!

It was marvellous, no joke. Yep, those Japanese learnt a thing or two from the Italians, and went further for longer (they're still going, in fact).

I like the way this film started out like a delirious pop-giallo before plunging right into crazy purist nunsploitation. I didn't know that the Japanese churned out nunsploitation flicks throughout the 70s - but that's so random it's delicious!

Forget Bertolucci - School of the Holy Beast , you should watch that!

poster5bo.jpg

Octopus?

Oh my word! I forgot to mention that I went to the NFT and saw THE SCHOOL OF THE HOLY BEAST!!!

It was marvellous, no joke. Yep, those Japanese learnt a thing or two from the Italians, and went further for longer (they're still going, in fact).

I like the way this film started out like a delirious pop-giallo before plunging right into crazy purist nunsploitation. I didn't know that the Japanese churned out nunsploitation flicks throughout the 70s - but that's so random it's delicious!

Forget Bertolucci - School of the Holy Beast , you should watch that!

Absolutely great flick, every scene is so beautifully composed. The character of the priest is actually very interesting as well, especially once his back story (no spoilers here!) is revealed in that left-field burst near the end. Complete integration of the giallo and nunsploitation genres, but it handily shoots past both genres restrictions to the stratosphere. Deliriously blasphemous, but so over the top that it's impossible to be offended.

Alucarda from Jodorowsky's associate Juan Lopez Moctezuma is another incredible nunsploitation epic, totally steeped in surrealism.

I'd also like to second the recommendation of "Fifth Cord" upthread. Watched it last night and it's fantastic. Spirals all round.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Alright! Some love for School of the Holy Beast!

I couldn't believe how Italian it felt - down to the opening Nicolai/Morricine rip-off score. There was a clue when she's in the cinema and you hear someone shout 'Basta!' onscreen.

re: Fifth Cord - that's a film in love with modern architecture and luxury interiors! Also, I must emphasise the greatness of Franco Nero in it. His english dubbing is a joy in itself. He knocks back the J&B with aplomb throughout. Super Morricone score too. Edda del Orso doing all sorts of naughty things with her voice.

Now go watch Solange, Windows, Martino's Vices, some Aldo Lado, and the wonderful, fun What Are Those Strange Drops of Blood Doing on Jennifer's Body? (commonly known as The Case of the Bloody Iris, sadly).

Have fun.

Octopus?

Alright! Some love for School of the Holy Beast!

I couldn't believe how Italian it felt - down to the opening Nicolai/Morricine rip-off score. There was a clue when she's in the cinema and you hear someone shout 'Basta!' onscreen.

re: Fifth Cord - that's a film in love with modern architecture and luxury interiors! Also, I must emphasise the greatness of Franco Nero in it. His english dubbing is a joy in itself. He knocks back the J&B with aplomb throughout. Super Morricone score too. Edda del Orso doing all sorts of naughty things with her voice.

Now go watch Solange, Windows, Martino's Vices, some Aldo Lado, and the wonderful, fun What Are Those Strange Drops of Blood Doing on Jennifer's Body? (commonly known as The Case of the Bloody Iris, sadly).

Have fun.

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations, I will most certainly check those all out in the weeks to come. Just finished a Castellari marathon last week of "Street Law" (speaking of amazing Franco Nero dubbing), "The Big Racket" (super kinetic excellent action sequences) and "The Heroin Busters" (lesser, but mostly due to a poor performance from Fabio Testi, who is infinitely better in the "TBR").

Can't agree enough about the design in "Fifth Cord"! Beyond the incredible architectural shots, I loved the ***SPOILER*** sequences with the disembodied hands pursuing the young boy ***SPOILER***.

Also, to indefinitely prolong this post, really got a kick out of the super surreal "Pyjama Girl Case", which I believe was mentioned up thread.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i watched v for vendetta (discussed here) at the weekend.

thoroughly enjoyed it. rather uplifting in the end.

D

dubversion

The Last King Of Scotland. Very very good - took a lot of liberties with the plot compared with the novel, making it much more of a thriller, everything ramped up a bit. But Whittaker is phenomenal, gets the Amin I remember from my youth bang on, and it looks absolutely fantastic. Great soundtrack too

P

Parson

if you liked le cercle rouge might i recommend
B000AQKUG8.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1124841741_.jpg

you could also draw direct lines from this film to killing of a chinese bookie, and ghost dog